Knowledge Base
Community

CWC NOVEMBER 2018 😥 ~ PAIN ~ 😥 WINNER @dolly247 😥

Started by: jesi23
On: 07/11/2018 | 17:46
Replies: 14

by: jesi23
on: 07/11/2018 | 17:46 edited: 04/12/2018 | 12:01

Welcome to the Creative Writing Challenge for November!

The topic chosen this month is PAIN

Click to reveal

I have recently completed filling in the form to replace my DLA (Disability Living Allowance) with the ‘new’ replacement PIP (Personal Independence Payment). Everyone who was born after 1st April 1948 has been told that they need to reapply for PIP even if they have been awarded an ‘indefinite award’ of DLA, such as I had been. It has taken a little while for them to get around to me, but now that they have, the form needed filling in and sending back - telling them how my disabilities affect me and my ability to do 12 key tasks.

The criteria have slightly changed, so one needs to hope one doesn’t lose out by the change, but one thing hasn’t changed. The frustrations involved in listing everything that is wrong with me and how ‘my conditions’ affect me! And the fact that thinking about pain makes the pain worse!

I have my assessment examination on Friday 7th December at our (not yet cleared) flat … pray for me … 

This thread is for ENTRIES only. This makes it easier to read and judge the entries without distractions. 

Please put all comments in the COMMENTS thread. The comments thread is where you can ask more questions about the entries, and discuss the writing styles and ask for advice. Basically, anything related to the topic but not in itself an entry! 

Everyone is welcome to submit an entry in this thread. Feel free to interpret the theme however you want!

Please keep your entry under 1500 words if possible.

If you submit an entry written by someone else please give proper credit and acknowledgements.

There are no prizes, but the winner will be chosen as usual on the basis of ‘kudos’ received by the end of the month.

We have had quite a varied interpretation this month, and a lot of thoughtful responses … of varied lengths … three entries had 13 kudos each … 

… but … the winner, with 17 kudos, is @dolly247 … 

December’s topic, chosen by @serving_n_a_j is JAMS. I hope to have the threads up soon!

Looking forward to reading your entries this month! 

🤡 Jes

Please don't forget to come back after your problem has been resolved and select a best answer.
Also consider a kudos [+★] for any member who helped.
Message 1 of 15
by: dolly247
on: 07/11/2018 | 19:50

I thought I was in pain when I fell off of my bicycle. I was 6 years old and grazed my left cheek pretty badly. 

But Mum came running over and picked me up and tended to my wounds. 

I thought I was in pain when I was pulled off of my feet walking my dog when I was 9.

But Mum kept me calm as Dad dressed my knee. 

I thought I was in pain when my Mum passed away. 

But Dad kept us strong. 

I thought I was in pain when Dad passed away. 

But my Joe gave me the strength to stand with my male family members and proudly carry my Dad's coffin. 

When my Joe passed away.... 

I still feel the pain of losing him. 

dolly x 

Don't worry about the things you can't change, only the things you can.
Message 2 of 15
by: pokapoka93
on: 07/11/2018 | 20:13
I remember the day I was in my highschool. Exam is just around the corner it was an extremely stressful period. Like fighting aginst a horde of zombie: undying, slow and persistent. My sleeping pattern changes drastically. I was in a limbo of things to do and to achieve. One morning, the bird chirping I wake up lazily and trot towards the wash basin. "Another day, another stressful challenges to overcome" so as I was saying to myself. I Know there are a lot of expectation to achieve but I cannot fathom if it is for my own. A 50 pence size patch crop at the back of my head. I thought it was nothing at first. Maybe I just bang my head somewhere and loss a patch of hair. Pretty hillarious when someone decided to go against logic of reality. As time passes by and stress builds up I noticed more patch. Started to go to see a private GP(I was not in UK at this time) as I am worried. Fungal they said. I said it was stress. Ignored and brushed off, but money taken for consultation and medication. Months pass nothing changed. Decided to go to see GP with special interest (still not in UK) and finally got a diagnosis and reassurance. Alopecia areata was the culprit, the female GP said. I was relieved when she explained it to me.

However, it was nothing short of a journey. Friends calling me names, some aunties walking by and commenting my head and suggesting some unknown remedies with not scientific basis. Walking along the night market some shady herbs seller claiming miracle from god with substance of semen consistency claimed to be 100% chemical free. Oh my Lord give me strength for water is made up of hydrogen and oxygen for goodness sake. Being the centre attention, pretended to joke about myself, weighing myself. Oh stop please. Don't ask about my hair. It is just hair for goodness sake.

Just understand that everyone is different and will have bad points in their life. 18 months being in a limelight just for having patches on head. Oh I do know the stress but now I look at myself and realize how stupid I can be thinking about it too seriously. Although, I do learnt if you do not know go and ask get reassurance while staying far away from herbs seller.

Message 3 of 15
by: andyxhill
on: 07/11/2018 | 20:14

Pain is life

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 15
by: yvonnearmstrong
on: 08/11/2018 | 19:05
PAIN

The pain I still feel even after thirty two years is the death of my mam😢

She was only 55 years old when she died of a heart attack and we were joined at the hip

My dad was devastated and went right downhill and ended up with lung cancer and died

Yvonne

Message 5 of 15
by: acetech
on: 09/11/2018 | 15:57
I remember growing up being told I was a pain
Like that time I put washing up liquid straight down the drain
That time I made a picture with my mum's lipstick
To the time I used toothpaste to try to make lollipop sticks stick

Passing wind without saying pardon
Digging up little holes all over the garden
Hiding in bushes, climbing up trees
Falling off my bike and grazing my knees

Tying cotton on door knockers crossing the road
Along came a car 'knock'!
Not realising my peeking round the curtain showed

Climbing on walls, on garages and sheds
Thinking I was invincible all grown up in my head
Thinking about it it was fun at times being a pain
If I had the excuse of my youth I'd do most of it again!
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 15
by: goofygirl
on: 12/11/2018 | 16:46

Pain is a word tha no one can really explain.  Everyone has their own iterpretation of what pain is.  My interpretation of pain may differ hugely from the person sitting next me.What hurts one person does not necessarily hurt another.  Strange how the body reacts to pain in oh so many ways, emotionally, and physically.  How can someone turn around to me and say you are not in pain, or that does not hurt.  How do they know?  Why is my pain worse than someone elses/ or less than someone elses?  I think pain is something we feel more strongly than with our other senses.  Pain as in Oh, I have a headache, pain in feeling for somneone else who has had a tragedy or is ill. 

Pain of losing someone, either by death or seperation in life. Pain of not being able to help someone.  Heartbreak pain that is inconsolable and far beyond fixing.  Pain that we do not understand or know why we have it.  Why the pain of a dark cloud is over your head and not knowing how to stop it.  Pain does not come with instructions or an idiot guide.  Yes, we have pain killers but does that really kill the pain?  Or is it just a coverup to numb the senses so we do not really care about it.  Pain effects all, rich, poor, working, middle, upper class unemployed, employed.  No one can avoid it, no matter how hard you try.  We can all try to understand it by talking about it with friends, families and spouses, we may be able to ease someones pain a little.  

We cannot really control pain, measure it, or see it.   Yet it is a way of knowing you are still alive.

Message 7 of 15
by: 123kingarthur
on: 14/11/2018 | 13:26 edited: 14/11/2018 | 13:43

I always remember moving day years ago when my children were very small and we were moving house to go and live in another city.   My husband asked me to take care of his car keys while he checked around, so that they would be safe.   No problem I was holding my little girls hand and holding the  pram with the baby in the other.   I put the break on the pram but I did not notice a wasp sitting on the pram handle and put my hand on top the wasp   the pain was excruciating from the sting and I dropped the car keys into the pram and  yelled.  My husband picked the baby up and said to the movers put the pram on the van as well then we four went up to the  bathroom to clean my hand up.  Then my husband said can I have the car keys and I said oh yes they are in the pram,  we both looked at each other and realised we had no keys and no way of chasing after the van either.  After a minute or so I remembered I carried my keys to the car in my bag and that was in the kitchen worktop. 

I cannot say  which was the worst pain,  thinking we had no car keys or the pain of my stung hand   

Message 8 of 15
by: silemairin
on: 18/11/2018 | 21:25

In Memory Of My Darling Friend Audrey Heart

Oh Death,you come so quickly, your sting ,sharp as any knife .

You care for no-one left behind,when you take so young a life

We all will be your victims ,our lives hang by your thread..

You give us no fair warning,if tomorrow we will be dead.

you strip us of our loved ones , with your icy call to death.

You care not for the grieving while you stamp out our last breath.

Yet in your darkest desolationWe hold on through our pain

"Til Heaven meets Earth and Morning Breaks And we are with our Friends again...

Message 9 of 15
by: spiritquest
on: 19/11/2018 | 10:21 edited: 19/11/2018 | 10:24

Every human being on earth will interpret pain differently.  It is somewhat like the wind, as it can not be seen, only felt.  However, there sare so many ways a person can be in pain, emotionally, mentally, physically, well all three at once for that matter.  I do know that chronic pain is exhausting.  People that suffer from conditions such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, ME, and Fibromyalgia, can write journal after journal about their journey with the enemy known as pain.

People fighting cancer often suffer an inhumane amount of pain, yet Insurance companies and other medical facilities believe this is acceptable long after the patient does not.  Why does a person have to suffer in such anguish when there is no more quality of life? Why can't we say this is enough and be helped to be put to rest peacefully?

The families of people dying and in such excruciating pain, know excruciating pain as well, albeit different.  The heart break of watching a loved one suffer and not being able to eliminate their suffering, causes a myriad of pains to those going thru it.

One could write forever about these types of pain, yet for me personally, there is one pain greater than all others.  My soul cries out when I read, see, and hear how human beings treat one another.  If I lived to be a thousand, I will never understand the horrors and attrocities that mankind perpetrates on his fellow man.  Early man fought for what was theirs, and yes, killed others trying to take what would keep them alive, food, furs, fire for that matter.  My mind refuses to believe that early man, killed other men for the sheer thrill of it. It has only been since man has evolved that the horrors of their actions have gone beyond human comprehension.  

We read in history about how Vikings, Highlanders, Native American Indians waged war on other clans, tribes and other classes of people.  We know the Roman Empire suffered from blood lust and loved to see men being torn to shreds by tigers, gladiators, bears, and lions.  Where does this come from?  History also tells us that Romans dreamed up crucifixion as a way to get the most suffereing from their prisoners, Famously the account of the death of Jesus is well known, but sadly His was not the only death is such a hideous manner, there where thousands.  We can read that the Native American Indian scalped and disemboweled people as they where alive.  What manner of evil is this? Attrocities such as the Holocaust where not as isolated as one is led to believe.  Why though?  What is wrong in the mentality of mankind that they would enjoy inflicting so much pain onto others.   This is my greatest pain, the knowledge that evil abounds, and their are many lacking any moral compass, or conscience.  My dear Giffgaff friends, I can tell you, this is the mother load of pain that I bear. 

Message 10 of 15