Knowledge Base
Community

Cat owner needing advice

Started by: charlibear1
On: 14/08/2019 | 20:11
Replies: 11

by: charlibear1
on: 14/08/2019 | 20:11

Help! My cat has become extremely unsettled after a lot of renovations/refurbishment work done to our house.

Having never had issue before now, he has started peeing around the house, trying to familiarise himself with the space again. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this and make him comfortable and happy in the house again?

Message 1 of 12
by: msmon55
on: 14/08/2019 | 20:38 edited: 14/08/2019 | 20:46

He is marking his territory. Sounds like he's doing it cos there's been lots of strangers and changes in the house. Once started marking territory, it can be very difficult to stop them. Sometimes the only solution is to have them neutered... It can calm them down. Cleaning throughly where they have peed with a product designed to remove cat pee odours or they'll keep going back to re scent the area. Speak to vet for advice. @charlibear1 

Message 2 of 12
by: andyslc
on: 14/08/2019 | 20:42

@charlibear1 I can’t really add to anyhing @msmon55 has said. It’s sound advice. The vet will probably recommend Feliway. You could also try getting some catnip spray or dried catnip. 

Veni vidi dormivi
Message 3 of 12
on: 14/08/2019 | 21:06
Thanks. He is already neutered and is 8yo - this is not something he has done in the past, so it’s completely new behaviour and has only really started after all the work was done. Vet has suggested calming products like Feliway, but said it might take more than just this, so I was hoping people might have helpful suggestions.
Message 4 of 12
on: 14/08/2019 | 21:24

Unfortunately it does happen with neutered animals as well @charlibear1. Making the environment as cat friendly as possible will help. Does the cat have a sleeping spot off the floor? Giving it a selection of such may help. Definitely employ the use of catnip - Willows brand catnip spray is highly recommended by this owner of 8 cats.

Veni vidi dormivi
Message 5 of 12
on: 14/08/2019 | 21:58
Thanks @andyslc - his bed is a radiator hanging one, which he prefers, so I’ll get some catnip products and see if that, along with the other suggestions, helps.
Message 6 of 12
on: 14/08/2019 | 22:03

Pets at home sells the Willow brand spray I mentioned. My cats go nuts for it. I’ve also grown and dried my own which also goes down well. Wilkos do dried cat nip which is a cheaper option though probably won’t last as long as the spray.

Veni vidi dormivi
Message 7 of 12
by: mrbond007
on: 14/08/2019 | 22:09

Get a dog 😉

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 12
by: sheilamm
on: 14/08/2019 | 22:27
Have you a cat litter tray, that you could gradually move towards the door he usually goes out off
Message 9 of 12
by: caro120
on: 14/08/2019 | 23:45

@charlibear1wrote:

Help! My cat has become extremely unsettled after a lot of renovations/refurbishment work done to our house.

Having never had issue before now, he has started peeing around the house, trying to familiarise himself with the space again. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this and make him comfortable and happy in the house again?

check with vet in case has cystitis - stress can cause that and if untreated can affect kidneys, same as with humans... spose the bacteria go up into the ureters?

think ours had a little go when first moved in, found some stinky areas he'd weed on, was just marking territory and haven't noticed any for a long time, might be a case of being patient?

catnip quite soothing for them and lots of play, wear them out so less nervous energy.

ours been asleep during day and wants to go out now but he's not.  can go out during day but night fights will annoy neighbours and more chance of him being run over in dark!

I don't like the idea of those plug in feliway type things, we avoid chemicals in this house and the stuff that is generally used as excipient to make it evaporate can trigger asthma in me.  I wonder if they habit forming for the cat too.  We get stuffed mice where the catnip is on inside, not sure about the sprays and what in those.  They're made with synthetic yarn and he has a lovely time trying to disembowel themSmiley Happy

Sure things will soon settle when gets routine back but would have a quick check with vet, can pick up kit for £20 - you use clean tray and have a bag of plastic pellets they wee in, draw it up into syringe and squirt into a container - we had result back same day, was really efficient. 

Unfortunately in ours showed neutrophils and blood, poor old thing had kidney disease so put on low protein food for a bit but had him put down when got in obvious discomfort.

Message 10 of 12