Knowledge Base
Community

Coffee & Alcohol - Most expensive you've paid?

Started by: phoenixrises14
On: 21/07/2019 | 13:05
Replies: 32

by: phoenixrises14
on: 21/07/2019 | 13:05
Hi, I was invited to a Wednesday wedding in rural Essex recently. Lovely grounds with a health spa, gym, etc (didn't use any of it as I went home the same day.) Great wedding until I became desperate for a cup of coffee - big mistake of not asking the price before purchasing - £4 for a small cup of coffee 😱 Same scenario later in the afternoon - The groom's father said "first drink on me." I duly went to the bar and asked for a spritzer drink - "That will be £8 please sir!" - fortunately the barman realised that I was related to the grooms father. Morale of the story - ask for the price of coffees and alcohol before you purchase at very posh hotels, etc! I'm interested to know what's the most you've ever been charged for a coffee and alcohol at these kind of establishments?
Message 1 of 33
by: jolog
on: 21/07/2019 | 13:38
Shocking, and they wonder why people drink at home these days.
I hate going to weddings when they don't have a free bar (at least until say 9/9.30), I think it's quite disrespectful to your guests really, expecting them to travel often great distances, stay in a hotel and buy a present too, and then not supply them with a drink.
Besides, the party often goes a lot better once people have had a few drinks, all the weddings I've been to where there isn't a free bar have been some of the dullest most bring affairs ever....
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 33
by: janny27
on: 21/07/2019 | 13:46

Went to the Westport hotel, west coast of Ireland last yearfor a group dinner. Husband came back from the bar with a pint and a bottle of Prosecco 54€!!!!!!!!!! We were later told it was a superior bottle of Prosecco!!!!!!

Message 3 of 33
on: 21/07/2019 | 23:30

@jologwrote:

Shocking, and they wonder why people drink at home these days.
I hate going to weddings when they don't have a free bar (at least until say 9/9.30), I think it's quite disrespectful to your guests really, expecting them to travel often great distances, stay in a hotel and buy a present too, and then not supply them with a drink.
Besides, the party often goes a lot better once people have had a few drinks, all the weddings I've been to where there isn't a free bar have been some of the dullest most bring affairs ever....

@jolog hello, and thanks for replying to my thread.  Yes, indeed shocking what hotels think what they can charge these days!  considering the nearest town was about 2 miles - probably would have gone up the road and bought my own bottle of wine and bought it back to the hotel!    yes, ive been to two weddings twice in a year - and my brother's wedding had a free bar to a certain time -  yes, completley agree with you - with the travel (60 mile round trip from london to essex) and £110 return fare - (which my half brother paid for!) - a free drink you would expect to be the bare minimum!  lol, obvioulsy come crazy dancing with the aid of free bars as opposed to non-free bars - ain't it wonderful what booze can do?!  the wedding was quite dull anyway - only stayed from 1pm to 6pm and was home in london by 7ish!  - even the cab driver tried to rip me off! - the cab there was £53.00, and the cab co in essex wanted £60!  - i said i only paid £53 on the way there - and the cab controller's excuse was'its the time of day!'  - poor excuse - i said i would phone around other taxi companies - and all of a sudden the cab company could do the fare for £55!

Message 4 of 33
on: 21/07/2019 | 23:34 edited: 21/07/2019 | 23:35

hi@janny27
wow! very expensive bottle of Prosecco! what does a bottle of prosecco normally retail for? -im sure i saw it in the coop supermakret on mothers day week at around a tenner a bottle? bit of a mark up price in that hotel in ireland eh? probably the pint was about £50 and the prosecco four euros!? superior bottle of prosecco! ? did you ask for a detailed explanation what the fundamentals of why it was superior @janny27 ?
don't think you will be going back to that hotel in a hurry @janny27? i know ireland is expensive , but that really takes the biscuit!

thanks for you story - regards, jaySmiley Happy

Message 5 of 33
by: only_justme65
on: 21/07/2019 | 23:41
Family weddings I attend, family funerals I have attended,,

You don't pay for anything,,,
These are family events,,,
People are invited because they are part of who we are, considered family,

Nobody pays...

Simple...
Message 6 of 33
on: 21/07/2019 | 23:56

@only_justme65wrote:

Family weddings I attend, family funerals I have attended,,

You don't pay for anything,,,
These are family events,,,
People are invited because they are part of who we are, considered family,

Nobody pays...

Simple...

lol.... you havent' met my brotherSmiley Happy

Message 7 of 33
by: janny27
on: 22/07/2019 | 18:06
Oh you can buy Prosecco for anything from around £6 in supermarkets!!!
Message 8 of 33
by: bexiclekitten
on: 22/07/2019 | 18:35

Hi @phoenixrises14 - I think the most we've ever been charged as £20 for a bottle of Gallo white which sells for £6. Needless to say, we didn't go back to the restaurant in question. Now here's the best one - we were going to be charged £2 for a teabag at an Ibis hotel. The hot water was free but not the tea bag obbiously but £2 for a teabag...that really is taking the proverbial.

Message 9 of 33
by: bobsta
on: 22/07/2019 | 18:36

@bexiclekittenwrote:

Hi @phoenixrises14 - I think the most we've ever been charged as £20 for a bottle of Gallo white which sells for £6. Needless to say, we didn't go back to the restaurant in question. Now here's the best one - we were going to be charged £2 for a teabag at an Ibis hotel. The hot water was free but not the tea bag obbiously but £2 for a teabag...that really is taking the proverbial.

How much @bexiclekitten ? That's daylight robbery!

Message 10 of 33