Community

Comments on the Creative Writing Challenge MAY 2019 - KINDLE

Started by: jesi23
On: 07/05/2019 | 22:49
Replies: 25

by: jesi23
on: 07/05/2019 | 22:49 edited: 03/06/2019 | 17:55

Welcome to the COMMENTS Thread.

Please post all comments in this thread, and keep the main thread reserved for your entries.

Entries should be your own work; if you decide to post anything written by someone else, please acknowledge their authorship. Only your first entry will be considered; you can submit ‘non-entries’ (labelled as such) in this thread if you wish.

Click to reveal

Please keep to a maximum 1500 words

The winner will be decided at the end of the month on the basis of ‘kudos’ received

No prizes except the satisfaction of appreciation and the joy of writing 

Please one entry per member

No abusive language please

Thank you to everyone who gets involved in this month’s CWC on KINDLE  whether in submitting entries or in reading and commenting.

Everyone’s contributions are valuable and make this what it is!

Click to reveal
feel free to suggest Further topics  either in this thread or by Private Message to @jesi23

Please post your entries in the Creative Writing Challenge ENTRIES thread for MAY 2019 

(Please note that this is a live link)

I am looking forward to reading your entries and discussions this month!

🤡 Jes

Please don't forget to come back after your problem has been resolved and select a best answer.
Also consider a kudos [+★] for any member who helped.
Message 1 of 26
by: frenchielove
on: 08/05/2019 | 09:20

Thank you for hosting again @jesi23 I look forward to reading the entries. Hope you are well 🤗

Message 2 of 26
on: 09/05/2019 | 18:40

@123kingarthur  @jjanssen  Thank you both for starting us off this month!

I must admit that had my hands not failed me I would never have considered buying myself a Kindle … yet … 

I nearly bought myself one last August when I received a link offering me £50 off the newest paperwhite Kindle (from £109.99 to £59.99) and, having missed a previous opportunity to purchase at that discount, decided to buy … but had it sent to my daughter’s address … along with a really pretty cover … I think pale blue with trailing pink flowers … 

I half wondered if it would be a good birthday present for my 13 yr old granddaughter, but hadn’t yet discussed it with @serving_n_a_j (as it was a bit expensive for a present) … I am very fond of real books, as an ebook just doesn’t have the same feel, smell, or ambiance as a book … and I tend to pop in and out of real books; checking out the ending; retracing a few paragraphs; rereading whole chapters or sections … so I was a bit ambivalent about the purchase … 

My daughter seemed to think it was a great present, and said so in front of her dad … and he protested that we had not discussed it.  We hadn’t, and I explained I really didn’t know whether I wanted one or not, but was finding the laptop heavy to hold and read … I checked, but was unable to buy another at that price, so, agreeing with his daughter that it made a good gift for his granddaughter, he paid me for it so if I did decide to buy myself one I would have the money available.

It was duly wrapped, and my daughter disassociated it from MY Amazon Kindle Account and set her up with hers.

I struggled at Easter this year trying to read a hardback Library book (my thumbs refused to turn pages without pain, and the book was very heavy), so my mind was prepared for the next impulse when we got home … 

It was only after purchasing the Holocaust book (for reading around the world: Lithuania) that I bought the Kindle on an impulse, along with a plain pale blue kindle cover. The Kindle arrived on Monday, 29th April, and the cover on Thursday last week … One of the first things I did after setting it up was to download a couple hundred of the books I had already acquired from my account onto the kindle itself (ready to read even if I had no WiFi access) … and to read the new book on Lithuania, which was there already.

I have bought a couple of ‘complete collections’ for 49p each (even though I already had a few of the included individual books) and started reading my way through some favourites and discovering additional books by the author included in the collection.

I still prefer real books, though! 

I have a much loved song, 

Lord, light the fire of love once again in my heart

Kindle the flame to a blaze

Like it was at the start … 

That, too, was in my mind when I chose this topic this month.

But I wouldn’t want to follow the Science Fiction dystopia where books are deemed dangerous, and burned. My thousands of RPBs (real paper books) are not mere kindling by any means … but they do take a lot of space …

🤡

Please don't forget to come back after your problem has been resolved and select a best answer.
Message 3 of 26
by: 123kingarthur
on: 10/05/2019 | 08:14
@jessi23 thank you Jessi for starting the post it is always nice to see what topic you have started
Message 4 of 26
by: an_droid
on: 16/05/2019 | 03:40
💘 I love it!👍
Message 5 of 26
on: 18/05/2019 | 01:36

@an_droid Thank you for your entry into the Creative Writing Challenge. I asked an educator to move your comment on @acetech entry here into the COMMENTS thread as only one entry is allowed per member, and so I decided this comment was not an entry (you had already submitted an entry)

@an_droidwrote:

💘 I love it!👍

@acetech  I loved your poem, too. It is great to see what people make of the various topics suggested each month. 

🤡

Message 6 of 26
by: an_droid
on: 19/05/2019 | 07:35

Thanks it didn't occur to me a comment might be regarded as an entry!

Message 7 of 26
on: 23/05/2019 | 05:18

@chewieman  What a story! With the urgency of needing the Kindle Fire for a specific occasion, they certainly came up trumps!

It is so frustrating when items don’t arrive on time … we ordered loads of items in December 2017\January 2018 in order to cater for a special joint 40th/18th Birthday Party for my daughter and grandson. An order of bread baskets due to be delivered to a ‘locker’ was tracked up to the delivery date … and then disappeared … It was meant to arrive well before the party date and it started to look as though it would need to be returned if it ever arrived, as there was no need for SIX bread serving baskets once the party had already happened!

I don’t even remember what happened in the end, since I was taken ill the Monday after the party, ending up in hospital for over two weeks, so although it was MY Amazon Account used to order the items, everything was sent to my daughter or for her convenience, and she had to deal with everything.

🤡

Message 8 of 26
on: 27/05/2019 | 21:57

@spiritquest 

Please suggest a topic for June.

You will receive full credit for the suggestion.

🤡

Message 9 of 26
by: spiritquest
on: 28/05/2019 | 18:16
@jesi123
How about "Compassion". I think that may get the creative juices flowing! Enjoy your evening!
Message 10 of 26