Knowledge Base
Community

Cruelty or harmless?

Started by: claire1uk
On: 21/07/2019 | 16:28
Replies: 27

by: gizzblue
on: 21/07/2019 | 20:43

Are Peta worried the sheep may get a complex or have the usual suspects got to much time on their hands ?....

They should concentrate on animals that are actually being harmed ...not sheep who have been treated with sheep dip (although coloured ) is necessary anyway .

Message 11 of 28
by: hassan_javed
on: 21/07/2019 | 21:09
if the dye is harmless then it should be ok
Message 12 of 28
by: mydrawer
on: 21/07/2019 | 21:41

Just as long as people don't start doing it to other animals

Message 13 of 28
by: nefarius
on: 21/07/2019 | 22:04

Pink sheep dog sounds OK. 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 14 of 28
by: thelondoner
on: 21/07/2019 | 22:09
From a vegan point of view it doesn’t seem cruel im the sense it’s painless, but it is definitely immoral, senseless and obviously showed total disregard for the rights of the sheep. If the sheep could speak it probably would not have consented to being dyed pink. Also, dyeing them pink for marketing is commoditising them. Animals are not ours to profit from, to treat as objects as once we treates african slaves. My hope is that how human slavery was abolished, with time and education, humanity will extend this to all animals. No animal deserved to be enslaved.
Message 15 of 28
Highlighted
by: msmon55
on: 21/07/2019 | 22:19

@claire1uk and @themzbiker I think my opinion mostly sides with @themzbiker on this. 

Message 16 of 28
by: gizzblue
on: 22/07/2019 | 17:28
@thelondoner not knowing how a sheep's mind works ,I honestly couldn't tell you what they thought of the colour. ...it's plausable they may have liked the colour ot at least some of them .

As for animals not being ours to profit from ...you better talk to the entire meat trade about that one 😅.

And remember although human slave trade has 'allegedly' been abolished it still goes on ...as will the meat trade .
Message 17 of 28
by: harryjulie1
on: 22/07/2019 | 18:14
Eneything to moan about
Message 18 of 28
by: caro120
on: 02/08/2019 | 13:20

@claire1ukwrote:

I've just read this and thought it would raise good debate on here. 

Latitude festival have been accused by PETA and various individuals of animal cruelty and a petition has been started. The sheep have been dyed pink for the festival.

It's a water based dye and it is added to the sheep dip, which has to be done to protect the sheep from itch mite, blowflies, ticks and lice. It is part of the farming life. 

Are the animal rights taking it to far?

Discuss. 

https://news.sky.com/story/latitude-festival-accused-of-animal-abuse-after-sheep-dyed-pink-11767736

I personally find it tasteless and it encourages people to see animals as entertainment rather than sentient beings. 

There were reports of sheep racing too where fix a 'jockey' to sheeps back and maybe people bet on which one gets round course too.  Very distressing for the animals as noisy events and the transportation too so think it got banned on that occasion, was up leicester way I think?

Who thinks of these things eh?  Isn't it enough that they go through farming and abbatoir processes to feed us?

Were walking round countryside this way and came across a horse in field painted pink on back and glitter stuck on.. near some riding stables and dog walkers said in field on its own cos vicious.  Since seen it locally in trailer with kids fussing round, apparently they fix horn to its head and rent it out for kids parties.

I'm in 2 minds.. not cheap to keep a horse what with vets bills and feed, particularly when summers so hot and dry and probably got to buy more feed in.

If it's properly supervised and the paint/ glitter isn't irritating to skin then is it acceptable?

How much do they charge, could they afford to donate a percentage to animal charity for animals not so fortunate?

Of course cruelty is all relative, just came across mention of Gadhimai festival which have never heard of.  Has had some opposition but is deeply ingrained in local religion - involves mass slaughtering of animals in a field in bloodbath, they say 20-50k animals of all types killed just bashed to death in front of each other.  Alcohol has apparently been banned but I thought hindus don't tend to drink?

Is apparently done to appease the gods for better harvest, as a prayer for male children etc.  I didn't read or watch it closely as was too upsetting.  Not sure if meat gets eaten afterwards, wasn't sure if hindus are vegetarian.  

There is a cruel side to human nature that we should be evolving out of but it doesn't seem to be happening eh?

Shame that sheep need to be dipped or undergo mulesing, I wonder if better grazing procedures, field rotation etc would cut down on parasites and in the wild how do they manage?  I guess one field would get loaded with parasites, worms and ticks and they just move on if free to do that.  These treatments (including cat flea stuff) is all insecticide which is maybe affecting our nervous systems too!  I wonder how much it has links in with human disease eg MS, ME, parkinsons, myaesthesia gravis if spelled that right..

But then a flea infested house or cat covered in bites isn't an option... funny how some cats react to flea bites - or does the treatment affect their immune system, who knows?

They say some worm load damps down immune system and can be useful in humans against eg eczema, it's just when it gets out of balance that infestation starts to get to unhealthy levels and takes away nutrition, causes irritation in digestive tract - not to mention blindness or heart conditions if really unlucky.

Seems odd to have this at a festival where there would be a lot of people with concerns about animal welfare eh?  Or maybe festi goers aren't what they used to be?  More hedonism than true hippy?

Message 19 of 28
by: andishdi
on: 02/08/2019 | 13:49

It's a sheep, I believe it is entirely incapable of caring what colour it is...

Any opportunity for PETA and the likes to get some undeserving publicity.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 20 of 28