Knowledge Base
Community

Do you think burning "biomass" to produce electricity

Started by: gvmhb
On: 12/01/2019 | 19:50
Replies: 13

by: isabel1066
on: 12/01/2019 | 19:54
its America i thought it was for the uk.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 14
by: gvmhb
on: 12/01/2019 | 20:09

The basic principle is the same @isabel1066

Our government is heavily subsidising biomass too, and a lot of it is imported, causing co2 emissions in the transport. 

I don't know if we also burn waste material with it, but I think it's likely. 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 14
by: nefarius
on: 12/01/2019 | 20:26

Here, in NZ, it is 60% hydro electric. It used to be 85% but demand has increased.

Sorry about that. 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 14
by: revjonty
on: 13/01/2019 | 01:15
Well, that appears to be entirely based on lower stipulations on the emissions from the power stations, so, a big red herring which will no doubt be seized upon by the fossil fuel lobby, who will conveniently miss represent the information.

Simply put, yes biomass is a greener fuel than coal, everything else being equal (that's an important thing to note).

The co2 released by burning biomass, is the co2 absorbed when that plant matter grew, as is the co2 released by burning coal.
The difference is, one is co2 which has been locked away for millions of years, the other, maybe as little as a year.

Chopping down ancient forest to burn is obviosly not a good idea. Growing new, fast growing trees for biomass on the other hand is. It can only release the co2 it absorbed in the first place!

Order a sim from here & get a bonus £5 credit upon activation

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 14
by: andyslc
on: 13/01/2019 | 07:10

@gvmhb  Yes completely bizarre. There is a link at the bottom of the article to U.K. use of wood in coal fired stations. Essentially it says we are importing the wood from the US, ie thousands of miles of transport emissions and from a poorly regulated industry. Bonkers. (Article is over 5y old so not sure if we’ve since stopped or if the practice continues).

Veni vidi dormivi
Message 6 of 14
by: majorincident
on: 13/01/2019 | 09:30

@andyslc wrote:

(Article is over 5y old so not sure if we’ve since stopped or if the practice continues).

Smiley LOL Smiley LOL Trump is now in charge and he doesn't believe in climate change or industry regulations.  Even the Environmental Projection Agency is partial.

If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy. David Davis, Conservative MP
Message 8 of 14
by: andyslc
on: 13/01/2019 | 13:13

Don’t you mean the Destroy the Environment Agency...maybe they’ve been smoking too much stuff from the other DEA? Smiley LOL

I was thinking more of us importing wood over thousands of miles just to chuck it in a bonfire. 

Veni vidi dormivi
Message 9 of 14
by: majorincident
on: 13/01/2019 | 14:24

We shouldn't be importing wood just to chuck on the fire.  Don't we have enough dead wood already?

If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy. David Davis, Conservative MP
Message 10 of 14