Knowledge Base
Community

Does journey planner work on your mobile?

Started by: harrrrrry
On: 03/06/2014 | 23:37
Replies: 11

Highlighted
by: harrrrrry
on: 03/06/2014 | 23:37 edited: 03/06/2014 | 23:42

For anybody who has a mobile and a choice of wifi or mobile connection, and a few minutes to spare, could you try this ...

1. Disable the wifi and go to http://tfl.gov.uk/journeyplanner

2. Enter a "from" and "to" postcode in London. For example, SW1A 2JR to W1D 3RF but any valid postcode will do.

3. Click Plan My Journey

The exact detail is unimportant, but you should now see something like this ...

Untitled-1.png

Now click one of those [+] signs that I've circled.

It should expand the route like this ...

Untitled-2.png

But does it?

I'm finding that on a mobile connection, that [+] never expands so you cannot read the detail of the route ... but it works perfectly if you repeat the journey planner exactly the same using wifi.

Anybody else able to confirm that?

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 1 of 12
by: brendadianne
on: 03/06/2014 | 23:49
Hi there
@harrrrrrry
I find this planner won't even give me a route at all. I just get the 'sorry...' message.
Have you tried google maps?

I hope this helps
Brendadianne
Message 2 of 12
by: paramount7force
on: 03/06/2014 | 23:55
You could just use team viewer and do it on ur PC remotely. Ud have to either leave ur PC on or setup wake on lan and keep ur computer in sleep mode.
Mark As Solution or Kudos If I Helped. Thank You!
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 12
on: 04/06/2014 | 00:04
So in answer to ur question yes u can get journey planner to work on ur phone regardless of which type of connection u use. IF u follow my above instructions.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 12
by: rebelyell
on: 04/06/2014 | 00:04
I don't get the option to expand the route. There are no plus or minus buttons. I have a "view details" button below the route which I can press and it opens the details of the route in a right hand column. Nexus 5 using Chrome.
Message 5 of 12
on: 04/06/2014 | 00:24

brendadianne:
I just get the 'sorry...' message.

I've had that occasionally, even on a desktop PC. But mostly it works, on desktop or on a mobile with wifi.

From the mobile, I can also get it to work if I start the planner on my desktop and email the result

Google maps does seem to have a similar service, though tfl's presentation seems to be clearer (when it is working).

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 6 of 12
on: 04/06/2014 | 12:02

I use teamviewer on my desktop and laptop, but the teamviewer client is unfortunately not currently available for either of my phones.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 7 of 12
on: 04/06/2014 | 12:38
Right.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 12
on: 18/06/2014 | 23:49

Follow-up to this ...

I put a Three sim in my phone, and suddenly the TFL site started working properly. But not with tesco or giffgaff sims, so it started to look like an O2-specific problem.

But it seems that TFL was already aware of the problem ...

http://blog.tfl.gov.uk/2014/06/13/reported-issues-on-o2/ :

"We’re seeing some issues when customers try to access our site over the O2 mobile network. If you are with another provider which uses the O2 mobile network you may have this problem too – for example on Tesco Mobile, Giffgaff and Lycamobile"

Glad to say, it was fixed a couple of days ago -- so you can now access the journeyplanner via giffgaff and other O2 based services too.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 9 of 12
on: 19/06/2014 | 00:59
Congrats.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 12