by: pokapoka93
on: 03/02/2019 | 18:00
that's nice of them. and the cost seem very good
Message 11 of 19
by: tokyobuta
on: 04/02/2019 | 00:03

@pokapoka93 wrote:

that's nice of them. and the cost seem very good

Thanks for responding @pokapoka93 .  Yes, very nice of them, and the cost couldn't be better.  Emirates charged ZERO for this service.  In Japan there are absolutely brilliant inexpensive overnight delivery companies - normally the sender pays for the delivery, but it is also possible for the recipient to to pay cash on delivery, which is what I did.  I paid the six quid for the delivery from the airport to my flat (about 50 kilometres), Emirates covered the the transportation from Dubai to Tokyo (about 7,900 km.) as well as the packing and administration.

Message 12 of 19
by: jmart62
on: 04/02/2019 | 00:16

@tokyobuta

So glad you were reunited with your belongings.My daughter came back from Australia on emirates and she said they were great.Nice to hear these good deeds in a world full of misery 😊

Message 13 of 19
on: 04/02/2019 | 02:42

Thanks @frenchielove @jeank @pamfletch @bluenose5 @contro @matthewhill1996 @jmart62 for responding.

I appreciate the kind and encouraging words about Senior Moments, thank you.  I was also much taken by the positive feelings towards Emirates among the responses.

12 A380.jpgThe best way to go ...

I've been flying UK - Japan for a very long time and over the years have travelled with many different carriers.  Emirates (for the last nine years) have been the best.  Their planes (especially the A380) are simply better, and so is the service. There's a time penalty of an extra seven or eight hours of travelling time with Emirates compared to the best connection on my routing, but I think that it's well worth paying it for the better travelling experience.

This latest incident with the lost property confirms Emirates  excellent service.  I checked out lost property on our very own British Airways website.  They don't even deal with lost property themselves but use service companies to do it for them.  If you lose something on a BA plane or in a BA lounge they will pass it on to a baggage handling company - even at their home airports of Heathrow and Gatwick.  You will have to pay a fee for handling, storage and delivery if you want to get your property back.  Emirates took care of everything for free when I foolishly left my stuff at Dubai Airport and flew it 7,900 kilometres to Japan within days.  If I had chosen to go to the airport to pick it up it would have all been totally free, as it was I elected to pay the small charge to the delivery company to have it brought to my flat.  Emirates efficiently arranged that but got nothing out of it.  It's so sad that the British flag-carrier is so cr*p by comparison.

I've not flown BA for many years, but the last time I did it was fairly rubbish - far from comfortable and rotten, unsmiling service on board.  They may have improved since then, but probably not if their lost property service is anything to go by.  Mind you, BA is not the worst long-haul airline I've experienced - the very worst that I've ever flown was Pakistan International - so bad that it was beyond a joke.

It should be said that there are some other excellent airlines out there.  I've heard very good things about Qatar, Etihad, Cathay Pacific, Singapore and Malaysian airlines from frequent flyer friends, but for me, it's Emirates every time.

Message 14 of 19
by: pettsey1
on: 04/02/2019 | 06:16

They are good

Message 16 of 19
by: pinkunykorn
on: 04/02/2019 | 06:23
You're lucky man.👍
Message 17 of 19
on: 04/02/2019 | 07:01

@evr301265 wrote:

Imagine you decided against the complimentary glad of wine then ...!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/aug/11/woman-arrested-with-daughter-in-dubai-over-drinking-...

She was a very unlucky lady @evr301265 .  I've seen maybe hundreds of people arriving at Dubai very well oiled.  (It doesn't help that there's a really good on board bar on the A380 for the folks upstairs in Business and First Class.)

I gave up drinking when flying more than a decade and a half ago when I had a rather nasty turn on a Swissair flight after hitting the champagne fairly hard ...  and since then the doctor made me give up the Demon Drink completely -  now getting on for five years ago.  Still feel the loss when smiling flight attendants offer me a glass of something nice and I say "just a sparkling mineral water please."

004 A380bar.jpg

Message 18 of 19
Highlighted