Knowledge Base
Community

Google Pixel £599+

Started by: k89bpa
On: 04/10/2016 | 19:42
Replies: 19

by: senoresteban
on: 04/10/2016 | 21:59
It is bad that this is the price... I really wanted something to replace my Wiley fox. Its a year old and its so sluggish but I can't go back to bloat ware.

So my options are limited and the o2 exclusive on 1+ kills it for me. Here's to hoping giff gaff hold the pixel
Message 11 of 20
by: techiebloke
on: 04/10/2016 | 22:03

@senoresteban

Make sure your contacts are backed up and reset the phone, this should sort out the speed degradation.

"Get your free SIM with £5 credit"

Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind
Message 12 of 20
by: neil40
on: 04/10/2016 | 22:10
Waste of money.You could find something for a third of the price that is just as good.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 13 of 20
by: senoresteban
on: 05/10/2016 | 06:29
I'll give it a go at some point. @neil40 it really depends on your just as good and depends on how well the pixel lives up to its promises.
I have had a nexus phone in the past and nothing comes close to how cleanly they worked, my guess is this is the same.
I have had HTC desire HD (I know this is made by them) was a horrible mess, the ui they had that linked contacts was helpful but...
Had an LG G3 that was leaking battery life after 6 months overheating and just being terrible.... Had a note 2 (probably my favorite phone but its about this sort of a price and updates forget about it after the first year)
Had a Sony z2 was full of Sony's forced services and bloat.
My general consensus is if your not getting a stock device the hardware isn't supported after a year of its release, bloat ware kills your memory as well as cluttering up your phone. Every single phone has a compramise, on the pixel this is water and dust proofing.

I would love to say yes there is a cheaper device that would give me what I want and if Motorola was still owned by google I would probably agree but its owned by lenovo and is probably full of their terrible ui tweeks now
Message 14 of 20
by: gvmhb
on: 05/10/2016 | 07:35
This doesn't interest me at all. I'd rather have money in the bank Smiley Wink
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 15 of 20
by: navi51
on: 05/10/2016 | 08:11
With pixel Google seem to have lost the plot. They have moved from supplier of good phones at reasonable prices to chasing Apple for the high end market hoping that their new Al search system will swing it for them. I'm not sure that it will produce followers in abundance like apple have.

They have certainly counted me out.
To giff is better than to gaff

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 16 of 20
by: majorincident
on: 05/10/2016 | 08:33

@senoresteban: it's about time that telecommunications regulators looked at bloatware and unwanted software that cannot be removed.  I think anything that will damage the operation of a handset should be protected, but make everything else removal.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves.
Message 17 of 20
by: rebelyell
on: 05/10/2016 | 09:41
I've been a fan of Google's Nexus phones but the Pixl is a huge disappointment. The price is way too high.

If this is the way things are going then when my trusty old Nexus gives up the ghost I'll be looking at other options, possibly Motorola.
Message 18 of 20
by: ksawtell
on: 05/10/2016 | 10:47

I'm disappointed with the pricing, but it does look like a good phone overall. I absolutely love my Nexus 4, which is 3.5 years old and only now starting to lag a bit with some apps. I put off buying a 5 or 6-whatever because they were somewhat larger, and because I really had no reason to buy a new phone. 

Truth be told, I probably will end up buying it, but I'll wait to see what people think and make a decision after a few weeks, make sure it doesn't explode and whatnot. 

Message 19 of 20
Highlighted
by: dvd1234
on: 05/10/2016 | 11:28
It's expensive but not quite as dear as the iPhone 7
Message 20 of 20