Knowledge Base
Community

Google Pixel £599+

Started by: k89bpa
On: 04/10/2016 | 19:42
Replies: 19

by: k89bpa
on: 04/10/2016 | 19:42
So the new phone has been announced and the pricing is from £599 for 32gb storage, 5in display to £819 for 128gb storage and 5.5in display.

I think they're more expensive than the comparable iPhone are they not?

What does everyone think?

Will you be rushing to buy one when they're released? Have you already pre-ordered?

Personally I think with the One Plus 3 now being available from O2 stores, (they are dual sim meaning meaning network unlocked), that they'll be the big winner here. I think Google have made a huge mistake.
Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 1 of 20
by: ghasimr
on: 04/10/2016 | 19:48
I would go with one plus three.

All the best
Message 2 of 20
by: majorincident
on: 04/10/2016 | 19:53

No interest in the Google Pixel, not even if it was half the price.  Perferfectly happy the Honor 5C, I have been using for two weeks.  It only cost £149.99 and is perfect for my modest needs.

If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy. David Davis, Conservative MP
Message 3 of 20
by: govgaff
on: 04/10/2016 | 19:58
I like that you get unlimited storage for all your pictures and videos at 4k for free. But the price is too steep, especially since the iPhone 7 CPU is 2 years ahead of the one inside the Pixel.
In England, we have such good manners that if someone says something impolite, the police will get involved.
Message 4 of 20
by: cim
on: 04/10/2016 | 19:58

Ouch, pricey!

Perhaps the slump in the pound since UK voted to leave EU is a significant factor in setting the price point but it will need to be a-may-zing to sell well in UK at those sort of prices. Remains to be seen how well it can differentiate itself from cheaper phones (e.g. the aforementioned oneplus 3) and flagship (iPhone 7, Samsung S7 edge etc) but the Pixel needs to have some smart tricks up its sleeve...

Get a free Giffgaff SIM posted to you pronto
Message 5 of 20
by: iainiain
on: 04/10/2016 | 19:59

Sticking with my Samsung Galaxy Note 5.  That's the one that does not explode.

Message 6 of 20
by: thomasb_94
on: 04/10/2016 | 20:30
Seems to be the same price as the iphone 7., but still too expensive.
Click on the link below to order a free sim with £5 credit on it Smiley Very Happy
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 20
by: stefabh
on: 04/10/2016 | 20:31

Absolutely not. OnePlus have many examples of failing customer service and customer support. God forbid you have a hardware fault with one of their devices. From stories of them losing devices to having no record of even issuing an RMA to charging for jobs that should have been covered under warranty... it's an absolute nightmare.

I was a really big fan and avid supporter of OnePlus when the One came out. It was a great device at a great price, but unfortunately they haven't got the back-office support necessary to keep pace with customer demand.

I moved from a OnePlus One on Vodafone to a Nexus6P on GiffGaff and I've been extremely happy as a result.

I certainly don't miss all the "when are we getting the update to [current version of Android]? It's been promised for months".

Android 7. Day of release. Security updates every month. Sorted.

That being said, I'm supremely disappointed to see the Pixel and Pixel XL pricing in line with iPhone 7 of similar spec. The move from Nexus to Pixel branding was also an ideal opportunity for Google to include microSD storage and I was genuinely disappointed to find out that Carphone Warehouse's earlier leak misrepresented both handsets as offering it.

As the new handsets offer only a very slight upgrade from my Nexus 6P, there's nothing compelling me to spend way over the perceptible market value for such a device.

Ultimately I will probably get one, but gone are my plans to sell my 6P now in order to upgrade as soon as possible.

Message 8 of 20
by: tradertall
on: 04/10/2016 | 20:53
I think HTC is manufacturing them so they should be good phones. I will wait and see what first users say before considering buying one.
To be fair it wouldnt be so expensive for us if our currency wasnt in the toilet...
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 20
by: alecglasgow
on: 04/10/2016 | 21:14
A would like 1 but the price puts me off
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 20