Knowledge Base
Community

Hard drive advice.

Started by: tooltrader
On: 03/12/2018 | 21:43
Replies: 8

by: tooltrader
on: 03/12/2018 | 21:43

What seperate entity can I plug a hard drive into to see its contents?

My cctv hard drive stopped working about a month back and just replaced it with a sky box hard drive.

Still a few complications mind,the hardrive will trip(not the mains plug fuse)and only work if I power up and plug the hardrive in afterwards other wise it will just trip the transformer again.

Kept plugging and unplugging until I finally got it stable and everything has been working fine the last month.

Now I've just had a power cut I'm back to square one and cannot stop the hardrive tripping after a split second and have decided to just get a completely new box.

Yet I still need to retrieve whats on the hardrive as its reasonably important what it recorded today.

Message 1 of 9
on: 03/12/2018 | 21:52
Theres no usb ports in an internal hard drive techie.
Message 3 of 9
by: techiebloke
on: 03/12/2018 | 21:57 edited: 03/12/2018 | 22:00

@tooltrader

The drive will either be SATA or IDE (earlier sky boxes used IDE and later used SATA same as a PC)

If you've taken the drive unit out you could put it in that, plug the USB in to your desktop or laptop and pull the info off.

I'd hedge your bets and get one that does both

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=hard+drive+doc...

I know exactly what you want to do as we do the same at work. (though we don't use drives from Sky boxes Smiley Happy

"Get your free SIM with £5 credit"

Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind
Message 4 of 9
Highlighted
by: michaeldunha
on: 03/12/2018 | 22:01
Internal hard drives are connected via a SATA connection in a computer, any chance you have an old computer kicking around?
Failing that it might be simpler to give a computer repair shop and ask them if they can recover the data.
Message 5 of 9
by: baconbutty
on: 03/12/2018 | 22:03

Yes you can take the HD out and put it in a caddy and hook it upto a pc with Linux on it windows is bobbins at reading dodgy hard drives.

banner.png
Message 6 of 9
on: 03/12/2018 | 22:04
Cheers Michael,yes probably better than me messing around thinking I'm Joe90.
Message 7 of 9
by: kenralph
on: 04/12/2018 | 00:14

I doubt it's your hdd tripping, it's more than likely the box it is in.

If you get a local PC shop to grab the data, ask them about the hard drives specifically designed for surveillance. Western Digital Purples.

Click to reveal

Message 8 of 9
on: 04/12/2018 | 00:56
Cheers kenralph,old sky boxs are normally a good alternative and as the original hardrive kept tripping the whole box I think its the box itself.
I'll probably buy a whole new box,yet in the mean time whatevers on the hardrive stays on the hardrive as I take it,as it cant rewrite itself.
Message 9 of 9