Knowledge Base
Community

Help stamp out fake news

Started by: extreme_one
On: 18/05/2019 | 13:08
Replies: 32

by: majorincident
on: 18/05/2019 | 22:08

You can lead people to the facts, but you can't make them read.  I find that certain people here won't read anything that contradicts their mindset so I usually say when I post a link that I don't expect them to read it. Smiley Very Happy

If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy. David Davis, Conservative MP
Message 2 of 33
by: msmon55
on: 18/05/2019 | 23:16

@majorincident problem is for that many of the links are either behind pay walls or as is usually the case the sites wants to put cookies on one's device which I strongly object to. I would guess that many others also object to the cookies. Also many sites make it so difficult to opt out of cookies I just walk away. Maybe if we are posting a link we can all try not to use cookie riddled links? I have found the mirror group make it quite easy to opt out. 

Message 3 of 33
by: kenralph
on: 19/05/2019 | 02:30

What's the problem with accepting cookies? People never bothered when they didn't have to be declared, and once every few days just clear them.

Then you can find the truth, FTFA. From The First Authority

Message 4 of 33
by: nefarius
on: 19/05/2019 | 03:26

Fake news is not to be confused with fake fake news. 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 33
by: lemon444
on: 19/05/2019 | 07:14

My desktop browser is set to not accept third-party cookies, and to clear all cookies at the end of the browsing session when the browser is closed.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 33
on: 19/05/2019 | 08:24

@msmon55, I don't post links that are up behind a paywall.  However, I have had people tell me that they can't view links on a smartphone Y4Tsm6w or that the source is probably leftwing (how do they know if they don't look).  The most recent occasion was someone who was perpetuating a lie, but wouldn't look at the proof that it was, in fact, a lie. pv1uCyV  People willingly buy into fake news because it fits their narrative.

As for cookies, I use Firefox on my computer desktop that blocks tracking, refuses third-party cookies and clears my history and cookies when I exit.

If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy. David Davis, Conservative MP
Message 7 of 33
by: nefarius
on: 19/05/2019 | 08:48

@kenralphwrote:

What's the problem with accepting cookies? 

Satan is hiding behind them @kenralph 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 33
on: 19/05/2019 | 08:57

hqdefault

Message 9 of 33
by: peterhall0012
on: 19/05/2019 | 08:58
Loads of fake news every where.
Message 10 of 33