Knowledge Base
Community

Home Office - £65 please!

Started by: nefarius
On: 28/12/2018 | 19:13
Replies: 91

by: nefarius
on: 28/12/2018 | 19:13

EU nationals will have until 30 June 2021 to confirm their status. It will cost £65 for those over 16 and £32.50 for those under 16, although there will be no charge for those who already have indefinite leave to remain in the UK or permanent residence.

People will have to have been resident before 31 December 2020, when the proposed post-Brexit transition period ends, in order to apply.

All those who have been living continuously in the UK for five years will be eligible for settled status, giving them broadly the same rights as they have now.

Anyone who has not be in the UK that long will be eligible for pre-settled status and be able to qualify for settled status once they have completed five years residence.

So if the EU reciprocate then any British citizen living in the EU may have to leave if they moved there within the last 5 years? 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 1 of 92
by: majorincident
on: 28/12/2018 | 19:39

@nefarius wrote:

So if the EU reciprocate then any British citizen living in the EU may have to leave if they moved there within the last 5 years? 

The UK hasn't said that anyone with less than five years' residency may have to leave.

If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy. David Davis, Conservative MP
Message 2 of 92
by: michaeldunha
on: 28/12/2018 | 19:48
A very generous offer, for a small administration fee they can secure their status.
As for the EU themselves they've done nothing of sort, they've simply washed their hands of the problem and left it up to individual countries to decide on how they wish to deal UK citizens in their respective countries.
Message 3 of 92
on: 28/12/2018 | 19:49

Ah, just realised I misread it @majorincident

Anyone who has not been in the UK that long will be eligible for pre-settled status and be able to qualify for settled status once they have completed five years residence.

So all three million can stay Smiley Very Happy

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 92
on: 28/12/2018 | 19:51

@michaeldunha wrote:

A very generous offer, for a small administration fee they can secure their status.
As for the EU themselves they've done nothing of sort, they've simply washed their hands of the problem and left it up to individual countries to decide on how they wish to deal UK citizens in their respective countries.

And there's people saying that the EU are control freak totalitarians! Smiley Very Happy

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 92
by: joolzian
on: 28/12/2018 | 19:52

Not so I believe. If the May deal passes we intend applying for Spanish residency before the end of transition  I have been led to believe we will be successful as long as the UK reciprocate. If not India will be our new home.

Message 6 of 92
by: baconbutty
on: 28/12/2018 | 20:28

So theres about 50 million EU nationals in the UK atm that's a lot of 65 quids.

banner.png
Message 7 of 92
on: 28/12/2018 | 21:05

Not my words @baconbutty  Smiley Very Happy

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 92
by: jeremylalou
on: 28/12/2018 | 21:11

I already pay enough tax thanks. Nothing justifies this fee.

Message 9 of 92
by: mahooli
on: 29/12/2018 | 08:28

Roughly the cost of a passport and ID card then?

Message 10 of 92