Knowledge Base
Community

How much do you spend on clothes?

Started by: andishdi
On: 07/02/2019 | 11:35
Replies: 57

by: nefarius
on: 12/02/2019 | 10:26

I just bought 5 pairs of socks and I didn't even need them. MAD! 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 51 of 58
by: misskaux
on: 12/02/2019 | 13:36
i only ever buy jersey type of material i find it more comfortable on my skin, @caro120
that is a beautiful machine, very vintage looking, Mine is a brother machine had it for years. I like sewing my own clothes and it takes very little time i make them very simple. I have never been a heavy spender on clothes i shall keep it that way. Don't see the point unless it is work related for people who work outdoors who need all the protective gear.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 52 of 58
by: ceecee2110
on: 12/02/2019 | 14:06
I buy when I see something I like, I do not spend much. I dont go on sprees
I love dresses, feminine stuff
Message 53 of 58
by: caro120
on: 12/02/2019 | 17:47

@majorincident wrote:

, I see a lot of beautiful old sewing machines at Saturday morning table top sales.  These people have no idea what they have. Smiley Sad

lots were thrown out or got sent to india for cottage industries I think..

have seen them in charity shops for £30-40, expect will make a comeback but how well they were made... wonder if modern needles still fit them or can get the bits.. expect someone selling on internet and needles don't really blunt quickly.

had a load of gadgets with mine, a clever thing to make ruffles, all sorts of stuff but it doesn't do zigzag or buttonholes. can get around that with french seams, blanket stitch or even tailored buttonholes if really wanted to..

used to get fabrics in market where grew up, had amazing range of ditsy prints at good prices.  Still plenty of shops around, found wonderful one the other month in petersfield, did huge range of patchwork fat quarters, even had kaffe fasset prints, hadn't seen them before - truly psychedelic!Smiley Happy

creative stuff is good for the brain, should be encouraged more but not a lot going on in this city.. that I've heard of anyhow, think a lot is underground or done in the quietness of the home.  We had stitch and **bleep** classes for knitting but I'm not good at chatting when doing that, it all goes awry!

Message 54 of 58
by: mij_sky
on: 12/02/2019 | 17:51
a lot ,, i can't help it
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 55 of 58
by: caro120
on: 12/02/2019 | 18:24

@misskaux wrote:

i only ever buy jersey type of material i find it more comfortable on my skin,
that is a beautiful machine, very vintage looking, Mine is a brother machine had it for years. I like sewing my own clothes and it takes very little time i make them very simple. I have never been a heavy spender on clothes i shall keep it that way. Don't see the point unless it is work related for people who work outdoors who need all the protective gear.

When used to work in office it was maybe of its time, you got judged by clothes wore and considering earnings were pretty basic it was a chunk out to afford to dress like that.  I never went for high heels though, men don't tend to wear them so why should women be expected to!

Still got most of the jackets, don't think they dated but if I start looking like anita manning I hope someone will let me know!  The amount that woman must earn on telly and some of her things are out of the 80's, big shoulder pads and bit limp.. not my taste.  She's doing well keep going, keeps her energy levels up I spose tho don't share many of her buying tastes.

Jersey's good, it was around in 70's but wonder when was invented.  Really is fabric version of knitting.. It was fantastic when lycra came out, all of a sudden comfy jeans that moved with you and kept their shape!

Used to really like fleeces, wash and dry easily but prefer wool now and concerns about how synthetics affecting the environment, is full of tiny fibres shed by clothes and poor fish end up taking them in, they get into the flesh of the fish - so we eat them too!  I wonder if is a carcinogenic element as ultimately made from petrol?

Love cottons and block printing but again environmental impact as the dyes wash out, have seen pics of rivers that change colour, who knows what does to the life in them.

Nice to be able to make clothes, not tied by what shops decide to get in.  Lot of stuff seems very dowdy now, too much black and navy and badly made too.  Wear a few times and throw, not good.

Still got to knit a dressing gown, got the yarn all together and bought old 70's pattern off internet.  Seems very serious the way it's set out, put me off a bit but think once get into it should be plain sailing.  All else fails can use it for guidance!  No rush, plenty to wear at mo and it's a winter hobby.

Do you ever go on etsy, quite a lot of made clothing on there?  Have bought some knitted stuff that I couldn't make myself and very good value, they can't make much on it so doing it for the love of it!

Message 56 of 58
by: sweetpotato97
on: 12/02/2019 | 18:40
Hardly any all my money goes on food
Message 57 of 58
Highlighted
by: lwachtrop
on: 12/02/2019 | 18:56
I agree with your comments about poor quality clothing these days not much seems to be made to last.
Message 58 of 58