Knowledge Base
Community

Huhne, Pryce and Onasanya. How to avoid a speeding ticket.

Started by: jms0
On: 14/11/2018 | 01:11
Replies: 36

by: majorincident
on: 05/01/2019 | 11:58

Brought down by something so petty.  Then again, Al Capone was convicted for tax evasion rather than murder or racketeering.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves.
Message 11 of 37
by: jms0
on: 05/01/2019 | 12:35

@andyslc wrote:

Hopefully her continued lies and apparent lack of remorse will mean she gets the maximum sentence possible. I just don’t

I don't wish to be soft on crime, however I think that life imprisonment is a little extreme, even for Fiona Onasanya.

I wonder if the subsequent bizarre behaviour is paving the way for a mental health based mitigation.  If she can keep the sentence below twelve months she can remain in Parliament - and the implications of a Member of Parliament serving from a prison cell are quite interesting.  And the longer she remains an MP, the longer she remains on the Parliamentary payroll.  A backbencher is paid £77379, so takes home about £4400 a month.  For her, it's worth dragging out the inevitable by-election for a month or two.

You're the boss so check out Giffgaff's financial statements
Message 12 of 37
by: andath
on: 05/01/2019 | 14:56

Proof yet again, that it's not the original misdemeanor that gets you but the cover up afterwards.

Message 13 of 37
by: ceejays
on: 05/01/2019 | 19:59

sell your car

Message 14 of 37
on: 15/01/2019 | 15:58

The Guardian reckons she's considering an appeal against conviction

This would have effect of keeping her in Parliament, even if she's serving the people of Peterborough from a prison cell.  And keep the £77379 a year which she earns rolling in.  Even if an appeal is doomed, it might be cost effective as it'd keep her on the Parliamentary payroll for a little longer.

She is, of course, either the next Messiah, nuts or both:

“In times like these, the natural inclination of believers is to ask God: why? I personally do not, because in my experience the answers are usually far above and beyond my reach. What I do know is that I am in good biblical company, along with Joseph, Moses, Daniel and his three Hebrew friends, who were each found guilty by the courts of their day. “While God did not save them from a guilty verdict, he did save them in it and ensured that their greatest days of impact were on the other side of a guilty verdict. Of course, this is equally true of Christ, who was accused and convicted by the courts of his day and yet this was not his end but rather the beginning of the next chapter in his story,” she wrote.

(blatant copy / paste from The Guardian but I'm sure they won't mind)

Message 15 of 37
by: andyslc
on: 15/01/2019 | 16:22

@jms0 Isn’t she missing the point that the biblical characters she mentioned didn’t lie their arse off to try and get off the hook. (Somebody with a better knowledge of the book may need to help me out here but I’m fairly sure I’m right.) Here are some bible teachings that have conveniently slipped her mind:

The righteous hate what is false, but the wicked make themselves a stench and bring shame on hemselves” Proverbs 13:5

or even

”Do not steal. Do not lie. Do not deceive one another,” Leviticus 19:11

but my personal favourite for her is this one

“An honest witness does not deceive, but a false witness pours out lies.” Proverbs 14:5

She’s stark raving bonkers.

Ooh when I said maximum possible sentence I did mean for the offence not the biggest sentence any court could give, although if she carries on with this line of reasoning....

Altogether now, “She’s not the Mesiah, she’s a very naughty girl” Smiley LOL

Veni vidi dormivi
Message 16 of 37
by: basil1921
on: 15/01/2019 | 17:23
Huhne was also given a column in the Guardian on his release... until, I think, he was laughed out by readers. His former wife, meanwhile, is treated by the media as an expert to be listened to, rather than a convicted liar.
Message 17 of 37
on: 15/01/2019 | 19:01

@basil1921 wrote:

Huhne was also given a column in the Guardian on his release... until, I think, he was laughed out by readers. His former wife, meanwhile, is treated by the media as an expert to be listened to, rather than a convicted liar.

The Guardian already have a Prison Correspondent, but if he should find himself unavoidably unavailable (again), there may be an opportunity here for Ms Onasanya.  Another columnist is also an Expert by Experience of the prison system.  Didn't Jonathan  Aitken write about prison reform based on his experience as a grateful recepient of the care provided by Her Majesty's Prison Service?

And @andyslc - life imprisonment is available to the court for the offence of Perverting the Course of Justice. It's Common Law in England and Wales.

Message 18 of 37
by: andyslc
on: 15/01/2019 | 19:39

@jms0 You are right. Ok life is harsh. CPS guidelines recommend 4 to 36 months. Anything over 12 will do. Smiley Wink

Veni vidi dormivi
Message 19 of 37
Highlighted
on: 15/01/2019 | 19:49

@andyslc wrote:

@jms0 You are right. Ok life is harsh. CPS guidelines recommend 4 to 36 months. Anything over 12 will do. Smiley Wink

Likewise Malicious Mischief in Scotland.  Common Law can be unkind.

Just under twelve months please, for the comedy of her being marched through the division lobbies chained to a grossly obese goon in a GEOAmey uniform.  I'm sure they are all fat for the same reason that a ball and chain is heavy.

Message 20 of 37