Knowledge Base
Community

Huhne, Pryce and Onasanya. How to avoid a speeding ticket.

Started by: jms0
On: 14/11/2018 | 01:11
Replies: 32

by: jms0
on: 14/11/2018 | 01:11

The last time I committed the cardinal sin of driving a motor vehicle at a speed in excess of the prescribed limit (81 mph on a 70 mph dual carriageway), it cost me a morning of tea, biscuits and minor piousness in a local church hall on a speed awareness course.  I could have found a Greek-British economist to take my ticket for me, but that did not end well for Chris Huhne, who became the first Cabinet Minister in British history to resign as a result of criminal proceedings.  There's probably a lesson here about not trusting an economist, an ex-spouse (hell having no wrath etc) or a perverter of the course of justice.  

I suspect there are many who are far too important to waste their time learning how speed is bad and have too many points already to just pay the fine, for whom the Huhne and Pryce route works just fine.  It's not too far fetched to think that money might change hands to help those who are poor and carless to remember that they were driving the Range Rovers of the rich, self important and slightly too fast.  If you're a first year undergraduate student, who might not own a car for thee years, what does three points matter anyway?

But if you're a Member of Parliament, and a solicitor, whould you take this route?  Given all the fun the prosecution can have, an MPs ticket might get a bit more scrutiny that Jo Public's.  And a conviction for perverting the course of justice will end the career of a solicitor.  Whereas a driving ban will just lead to a large Uber bill, which will probably go on expenses anyway.

So, if Fiona Onasanya (who is of course innocent at this stage) is convicted, what do giffgaffers think she will get?  We could have a sweepstake.  I reckon 12 months.

You're the boss so check out Giffgaff's financial statements
Message 1 of 33
on: 19/12/2018 | 17:00

And she's been convicted.  It's good to know we can trust an MP to tell the truth.  And a solicitor too.

Chris Huhne was sentenced to eight months, of which he served nine weeks, after a guilty plea.  The Honourable Member for Peterborough pleaded not guilty.  I'm opening the bidding at twelve months.

What are the prisons like these days?

Message 2 of 33
by: majorincident
on: 19/12/2018 | 21:50

Vicky Pryce was also given eight months, but released after nine weeks.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves.
Message 3 of 33
by: nefarius
on: 19/12/2018 | 23:14

Prisons are okay. Not too bad, yeah. 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 33
by: alicantesteve
on: 19/12/2018 | 23:41 edited: 19/12/2018 | 23:47

I really do hope the lying odious creature gets sent down for at least 2 years.

I have been following this case since it came to my attention back in July. Unfortunately our media have mostly ignored it,though I suspect if it had been a Tory mp the pitchfork wielding,hang em high mobs would have been out in force for months.

She deserves more than two years for the continual outrageous lies,the cost to the public with not one but two trials at the high court,the fact that she gleefully stated prior to trial that she would get off the charges and to set an example to all that trying to get out of three points can be expensive.

She tried every trick in the book along with her brother who had the decency to plead guilty,including trying to blame a Russian who wasn’t even in the country,mental health,stress of her well paid job and a multitude of other excuses though she thankfully didn’t play the race card which did look at one stage as being brought into play. Thankfully the second jury saw through her lies.

A by-election will now be in the offing though I notice comrade Corbyn hasn’t sacked her yet just asked her to leave,more than likely as she is a product of momentum.Not so many days ago Liebour were standing by thier member as an honest,upstanding individual.

I wonder if Steptoe Corbyn was referring to her earlier today in the house with his “stupid women” remark.

Message 5 of 33
on: 20/12/2018 | 22:12

Seems Jesus tried to dodge his speeding tickets too. Or the mitigation is based on alternative reality.

If sentenced to less than twelve months she might continue to serve her constituents from prison.  Would she get day release to attend parliament to vote?

Message 6 of 33
by: evr301265
on: 21/12/2018 | 04:00
The fact she in an MP, also a solicitor,, or maybe that should be "WAS" a solicitor,
There should be an expectation of a sentence that will reflect those facts..
Message 7 of 33
by: kenralph
on: 21/12/2018 | 06:07

Ignored by the press because of colour and gender?

I reckon 18 months. Which is nowhere near long enough

Message 8 of 33
on: 05/01/2019 | 11:40

The Labour party is a little displeased at her decision not to resign and has now given her the boot.

If she's sentenced to twelve months or more she'll lose her seat in Parliament.  Less than that and she can continue to serve her constituents from behind bars.  I doubt the prison service will ship her to Westminster to march though the division lobbies chained to a GEOAmey employee if and when Theresa ever holds her meaningful vote, but the press can hope.

Labour will of course try to force a by-election.

In addition to Jesus failing to pay his speeding tickets, it seems he inspired her to make a bizarre video pretending to snort cocaine.  Maybe Kate Osamor's son could help by supplying the real thing.

She will be sentenced at the Old Bailey by Judge Nicholas Hilliard QC at a later date.

Message 9 of 33
by: andyslc
on: 05/01/2019 | 11:56

Hopefully her continued lies and apparent lack of remorse will mean she gets the maximum sentence possible. I just don’t get why they lied. It’s a speeding ticket for heavens sake. Accept it, an apology and it’ll be forgotten. Look what Liam Fox got away with FFS. 

Shes abused her position and and her constituents trust and she’s done it repeatedly. No sympathy. She does not deserve the right to sit in Westminster.

Veni vidi dormivi
Message 10 of 33