Community

ITS GOING TO TAKE AGES

Started by: 123kingarthur
On: 14/08/2019 | 12:38
Replies: 23

by: pinks29
on: 14/08/2019 | 19:25
Don't hold your breath.
Had the same problem yesterday, smoke alarm went off it was so loud went to evacuate my flat only to find my next door neighbour outside saying it will stop in a minute, then I smelt toast so she admitted it was her fault as she burnt her toast.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 11 of 24
by: a_salty_dogg
on: 14/08/2019 | 19:46

You ain't seen nuttin' yet...

Wait until the Johnson/Bannon Little-Englander coup is enacted, when you'll probably have to ring a premium number in Ohio (and make a credit card downpayment in $US) just to book an appointment with your GP! Smiley Sad

Message 12 of 24
Highlighted
by: standardbearer
on: 14/08/2019 | 20:54

@123kingarthur 

Depending where the smoke detector is sited,

Steam from a kettle or shower or as has been said a toaster can set them off.

As can other sources.

You can get some battery ones with a silence button. When they go off as a false alarm you press the button which will reset later when the alarm source will have cleared the chamber.

Fortune Favours The Brave S.P.Q.R
Message 13 of 24
by: caro120
on: 15/08/2019 | 01:01

@standardbearerwrote:

@123kingarthur 

Depending where the smoke detector is sited,

Steam from a kettle or shower or as has been said a toaster can set them off.

As can other sources.

You can get some battery ones with a silence button. When they go off as a false alarm you press the button which will reset later when the alarm source will have cleared the chamber.

Never known steam to do it - must be faulty if that happens or badly designed?

Did bit of temp work at fire detector place, they ordered in boxes of tiny spiders to test them out and were also checked for reactions to dust, maybe if clagged up the vents?

Nuisance how they best mounted high up, with ours we have to fix up the stepladder at top of very steep stairs.  If I was on own trying to deal with it beeping would possibly just smash it to pieces with broom?

Mate said next doors one was going off beep and they were away for a fortnite, she had real trouble sleeping, very penetrating noise eh?

Message 14 of 24
by: standardbearer
on: 15/08/2019 | 04:48

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.vivint.com/resources/article/smoke-detector-sensitivity&sa=...

@caro120 

Carol, see link section "steam or high humidity."

Fortune Favours The Brave S.P.Q.R
Message 15 of 24
by: caro120
on: 15/08/2019 | 11:34

@standardbearerwrote:

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.vivint.com/resources/article/smoke-detector-sensitivity&sa=...

Carol, see link section "steam or high humidity."

Good article that, very clear and easy to understand!  The ion thingy rings a bell, I was only ordering in stuff on work experience for a job but they had me as cheap labour, was meant to be doing a range of jobs... bit of half hearted experience on reception then think the college took me on while someone was on hols, had a lovely time working there!

When says about chemicals I'm surprised air fresheners don't affect workings of it but spose they thought of that cos they so widespread, yukky things...

Ah got dog rescuers on, love that prog.  Old lady had young dog, I spose less vets bills but then she got ill and daughter couldn't cope with both of them, lovely little jack russell tho, real sweetie!Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 24
by: 123kingarthur
on: 15/08/2019 | 12:48
@pamfletch yes you are right about it becoming irritating but the fire department came yesterday afternoon and fitted a new one.
Only thing is though that this morning about 8.30 it went off again and now I wonder if someone in the other flats are burning toast or something
Message 17 of 24
on: 15/08/2019 | 12:53
@claire1uk the fire department have now fitted me another alarm and I was just thinking all is well again and at 8.30 this morning the new one went off. I am beginning to think someone in another flat burns the toast each day
Message 18 of 24
on: 15/08/2019 | 12:59
@standardbearer thank you for this post The fire department called yesterday afternoon and fitted a new one for me
I was feeling quite relieved until 8.30 again this morning and it went off. So I think someone in the other flats likes burnt toast
Message 19 of 24
on: 15/08/2019 | 13:05
@caro120 Thank you for the post I am beginning to think that someone in another flat has a love of burnt toast because this morning at 8.30 the new alarm which the fire department fitted yesterday afternoon rang again
Message 20 of 24