Started by: goldenratio
On: 12/01/2019 | 21:40
Replies: 21

by: goldenratio
on: 12/01/2019 | 21:40

I'd never used before. 

It's just so pants.

They FORCE you to watch ads. 

You get to an ad, you can't now go forwards.

You HAVE to watch the stoopid ad

The usability in other parts sucks

Well done ITV for being so greedy! 

Message 1 of 22
by: tonicurtis1967
on: 12/01/2019 | 23:42
I agreee and ch5 one isnt that great either
Message 2 of 22
by: k89bpa
on: 12/01/2019 | 23:59
The question which popped first into my head reading your post was, "What did you expect?", lol

There's a reason why people still pirate content and one of the biggest is the god awful experience provided by a lot of the official, licensed sources.

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 80GB

Message 3 of 22
by: pinks29
on: 13/01/2019 | 00:15

Just watching ITV hub now, see what you mean, so used to recording a programme then fast forwarding the adverts, went to do it on programme I'm watching and found cannot do it. At least I know now so won't be doing it again, unless I'm desparate  to catch up on a programme 

Message 4 of 22
on: 13/01/2019 | 00:21

I don't like watching ads on YouTube  

But I get it... They make their money by charging companies to advertise and we get 99% of the content free. 

Once the ad is seen, you can fast forward. I can live with that 

But itv are being so greedy holding the watcher ransom. 

Wake up to the new world you idiots! 

Message 5 of 22
on: 13/01/2019 | 01:25

Actually they're not being greedy at all @goldenratio.

Read this article from 1999 where the producer of one show talks about the production costs behind making television shows, then factor in inflation during the last twenty years, technological advances and wage demands going ever higher, (compare Brian Connolly's reported £1,000,000 per annum with Ant and Dec's reported annual salary for instance).

YouTube pays people based on how much advertising their viewers watch, television has to pay people regardless of who watches what adverts and in this day and age where TV can be paused, fast forwarded and adverts can be skipped like never before, the advertisers are much more likely to follow the viewing public trend of moving to online platforms and insisting that their partners, (in this case ITV), made it as difficult as possible for people viewing the content they pay to place their advertisements against, to skip the advertisement they are paying them to show you. 

ITV don't do this, it makes advertisers less likely to want to buy advertising space from them, it reduces the cost ITV can charge for advertising, and they have some really large bills to pay. 

Remember that the figures quoted in that article are for home grown content production twenty years ago, some prices PER EPISODE from some of the US TV shows...

Game of Throne $15m, (possibly more)

Sense8, (Netflix), $9m

The Crown, (Netflix), $10-$13m 

Britannia, (Sky), £6m

Even TV shows from the past like Friends and ER could easily top $10m per episode and they ended years ago, (that's $30m per hour for Friends, a show Netflix are having to pay $100m per year for just to show reruns. 

Comparing television and YouTube in the way you have attempted to do just isn't gonna work I'm afraid. They're totally different beasts. 

Nor is calling ITV greedy. 

Now what ITV would do if they were smart would be to launch an ad-free subscription option and make their entire archive available, they have some fantastic content such as the outstanding "Fortysomething..." which was just sublime and stars among others, Hugh Laurie, Peter Capaldi and Benedict Cumberbatch. 

But whether they have the rights to do that or not would be a different thing entirely. 

Message 6 of 22
on: 13/01/2019 | 02:55
@k89bpa awesome reply. Thanks for your time to reply.

You are of course completely wrong, here's why:

- You are 100% right. But that's where things go wrong for you.
The human is an illogical and irrational creature who can be tricked and have loyalties switched so easily.

- Maybe I am wrong calling ITV greedy.
The correct words maybe are: dumb and thick and dinosaur like.

- Let the world stay as it currently is.
Youtube, Netflix, Amazon, Apple and a few small others will grow an grow.
ITV (and BBC and other USA dinosaur media companies) will grow smaller and smaller.
One day advertisers will wake up and realise the big bucks paid for TV ads just aren't working and they need to jump ship.
End of ITV + the others.

- ITV needs to change and adapt and rethink. They're in an amazing position to do this! Except they can't. They are a big giant that can't hear or see.

- Whilst your facts and figures may all be true, you are missing madness and almost unpredictability of the human creature.
Message 7 of 22
on: 13/01/2019 | 03:33 edited: 13/01/2019 | 03:35

Except I'm not wrong @goldenratio.

Where is the evidence that the media companies you mention or refer to are getting smaller or will do so?

Your suggestion that subscription based services will rise and rise also supposes a larger disposable income than most people have.

Netflix £9.99 for family
Spotify £14.99 for family
Prime, £7.99, (don't know the family price)
Sky & BT Sports £50+, (given the necessary extras)

You're already over £90 per month with the license fee to cover your television, music and sports subscriptions, and you think people will pay even more in order to watch content from ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5?

And who's to say they won't still have to carry advertising, Sky channels, BT channels, all subscription only channels, and all of them carrying a ton of advertising across all the mediums in which they operate, be it traditional or online.

What will happen in the subscription streaming space is that Netflix, Amazon and the major media companies will dominate and gobble up all the little players who don't fade into obscurity, (which most will because the user experience is really bad), or which appear to be becoming a threat.

And that'll happen because they're already dominant, and people have a finite amount of money and they'll do pretty much anything to maintain their dominance. And they'll succeed too. Just as they always have.

Finally, humans may be mad, but they're not unpredictable, they're actually incredibly easy to predict for the most part, and becoming increasingly so. And business, of the kind which we are talking about is even easier to predict.

Unless something catastrophic happens to any of the companies you mention, they'll still be dominant come the end of our lifetimes.

It's such a safe bet that I doubt bookies would even offer odds on it because it basically translates to a guaranteed loss for them.

Anyway, find and watch that "Fortysomething" show I told you about, take your mind off all this crap. I just rewatched episode one and it really is a most excellent show, lol

Message 8 of 22
on: 13/01/2019 | 04:20
@k89bpa
Interesting thoughts.
Let's exchange notes in 10 years time.
if ITV and the others are still there, I'll buy you a pint.
Else if nuked out or been bought out or got out of jail by buying another company, you can bu me a pint. Smiley Tongue
Message 9 of 22
by: extreme_one
on: 13/01/2019 | 09:37

I was watching Manhunt using the ITV app and every time there was an advert break, instead of showing the ads, the programme started from the beginning!

It was maddening having to fast-forward through the parts we'd watched to get to the bit we hadn't.

Rubbish app!

Smiley Indifferent
Message 10 of 22