Knowledge Base
Community

If you were working today in carpet or furniture retail....

Started by: techiebloke
On: 01/01/2019 | 19:22
Replies: 7

by: techiebloke
on: 01/01/2019 | 19:22

You have my sympathy but always wondered, do you get many people actually buying or do they just come in, browse and go away again?

I'd imagine the latter are quite annoying for you?

"Get your free SIM with £5 credit"

Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind
Message 1 of 8
by: tonicurtis1967
on: 01/01/2019 | 20:52
No idea . But i never go in anywhere unless i intend to buy
Message 2 of 8
by: majorincident
on: 01/01/2019 | 20:58

I think the 'sales' people are used to it.  If you go into any store mid-morning, there is more staff than potential customer.  I do, however, feel sorry for the staff who must stand there for hours on end with a smile plastered on their face just in case.

If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy. David Davis, Conservative MP
Message 3 of 8
by: sarahaxon
on: 01/01/2019 | 22:20
@majorincident @techiebloke

Have you ever worked in a shop? I have had jobs like that where I thought I would die of boredom from the acres of space with no customers. But it can be fun if/when you develop a good rapport with customer, you have a bit of a laugh and a chats, then you find them just what they want and they buy it.

NB the mark up (and hence the commission) in furniture shops is pretty big. But the wages are low and staff are under pressure to meet their sales targets.
Message 4 of 8
by: nefarius
on: 02/01/2019 | 04:32

The  bloke up the road from me has a carpet shop. He's a multi millionaire poor thing. 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 8
by: techiebloke
on: 02/01/2019 | 07:52

@nefarius wrote:

The  bloke up the road from me has a carpet shop. He's a multi millionaire poor thing. 

@nefarius

You don't know that for certain, the market could be threadbare Smiley Happy

"Get your free SIM with £5 credit"

Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind
Message 6 of 8
by: rosstheboss1
on: 02/01/2019 | 09:09
Some people just like to browse all part of the job when you work in retail.
Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
by: auntpixie
on: 02/01/2019 | 09:36
you have the right attitude, people are looking for an item and they enjoy seeing what is on the market.
Message 8 of 8