Knowledge Base
Community

In Hot Weather, Drink Before You're Thirsty

Started by: magspider
On: 10/05/2018 | 12:12
Replies: 20

by: magspider
on: 10/05/2018 | 12:12

While it's always important to stay hydrated, in hot weather it's even more important to stave off dehydration and take on fluids before you reach a point of thirst.

An expert on the matter, Dr Irvin Sulapas, says: "The rule of thumb is, if you’re thirsty, you’re already dehydrated. So keep well hydrated by drinking plenty of water, even before you begin your outdoor activity."

It's widely reported that while a human may go without food for 40 days, you won't survive more than a week without drinking fluids.

An average adult body is 60-75% water, with it found in every cell, tissue and organ, and almost every body process needs water to function.

Water intake and loss should balance out, and to check if you’re drinking enough water, check your urine. Generally speaking, if it looks yellow or orange you aren’t drinking enough water, while clearer urine means you're OK.

Your body may trigger signs of thirst, signalling the need to drink, but you actually need water long before this point. During hot weather this is especially important for older people, children, and for the unwell.

A medical perspective:

https://www.bcm.edu/news/sports-medicine/thirsty-you-are-already-dehydrated

Some thoughts on what to drink in hot weather:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/448676-what-should-i-drink-if-im-thirsty/

[ No spiders were harmed in the making of this post ]

Join giffgaff, get £5 free bonus credit
Message 1 of 21
by: ceecee2110
on: 10/05/2018 | 13:03
@magspider

I always have a bottle of water on my desk at work and get the woman in the cafe to top it up for me too.

Love your post. Brilliant
Message 2 of 21
by: dartgirl
on: 10/05/2018 | 13:06
Yes Its Drink,Then Toilet, Drink Then, Toilet & Drink Then, Toilet, lets Say Am Doing Ok On The Water,
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 21
by: 123kingarthur
on: 10/05/2018 | 13:19
@magspider Thanks for sharing this When I was ill last week my daughter brought me in 6 x 2ltr bottles of water (to save me getting out of bed, which was difficult( and when the doctor saw them around my bed he was most impressed
Message 4 of 21
by: frenchielove
on: 10/05/2018 | 13:21

Thank you @magspider always drink at least three to four pints a day, plus juice, tea and coffee.

Message 5 of 21
by: giffgaffprepper
on: 10/05/2018 | 14:06
right, I'm off down to the pub, who's coming with me?
Message 6 of 21
by: giffgaffprepper
on: 10/05/2018 | 14:07

frenchielove wrote:

Thank you @magspider always drink at least three to four pints a day, plus juice, tea and coffee.

@frenchielove

do you have a secret? Smiley Surprised Smiley Tongue

Message 7 of 21
by: frenchielove
on: 10/05/2018 | 14:25

Ha ha @giffgaffprepper I should have said water 😂

Message 8 of 21
by: sp94
on: 10/05/2018 | 14:28

Drink... Juice? Alcohol? WATER? Haha.

It's hard for me to constantly drink water because I always need to pee Smiley Frustrated Especially when I am out of the house it's soo hard because I constantly go and use the toilet!

Message 9 of 21
by: theashcooper
on: 10/05/2018 | 14:33

Coffee is like 99% water.... 

Message 10 of 21