Knowledge Base
Community

Incorrect mortar mix affecting new builds

Started by: majorincident
On: 06/12/2018 | 10:22
Replies: 14

by: majorincident
on: 06/12/2018 | 10:22

It's a basic formula.  The race to throw up as many overpriced boxes as possible is leading to a stop in standards and misery for the inhabitants.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves.
Message 1 of 15
by: frenchielove
on: 06/12/2018 | 10:25

Omg! This is horrendous ☹️

Message 2 of 15
by: gvmhb
on: 06/12/2018 | 10:32
I don't find this very surprising. I've seen how some "builders" work and it's even more cowboy than the motor trade.
I was looking a new 3 story house built on a bank next to the road, thinking "that's too close and too tall" - I hope they put enough cement in that Smiley Frustrated
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 15
by: andyslc
on: 06/12/2018 | 10:38

Living on a new build estate in a TW house this doesn’t surprise. As well as the mix they lay bricks in pouring rain with nothing to protect the fresh mortar. A lot of the houses that had rendering had to have them re rendered as it had blown within 2 years and one of my close neighbours garden wall is falling over, 

Sockets not wired in, baths not sealed to the wall, thermostats wired the wrong way round, pipe leaks from poor joins happening within walls, paving stones cracking because of poor dot and dab mix, uneven paths and pavements, drainage issues, one house even had a little stream running through their house at one point. Oh how we laugh. Smiley Sad

Im not complaining because we are grateful for a roof over our heads (though the thermostat issue - we seem to be the lucky one shouted with such stupidity - makes it cold in winter either in the living room or the rest of the house - we have to choose which ). If we had paid for our house we’d be might peed off.

Veni vidi dormivi
Message 4 of 15
by: tooltrader
on: 06/12/2018 | 10:44
I've never been to Scotland,,,,honest.
Message 5 of 15
by: nefarius
on: 06/12/2018 | 10:48

I bet some builders will keep using it. Smiley Very Happy

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 15
by: majorincident
on: 06/12/2018 | 10:58

Smiley LOL Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

Perhaps a giant billboard should be erected on every site reminding bricklayers that it's

One part cement to 5.5 parts sand

with adjustment to the ratio depending on the prevailing conditions.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves.
Message 7 of 15
by: tooltrader
on: 06/12/2018 | 11:00
Depends if they can read English or not.
Message 8 of 15
by: dartgirl
on: 06/12/2018 | 11:03
Wouldn't happen with English Brick layer's very good at There Jobs.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 15
by: nefarius
on: 06/12/2018 | 11:05

Is it Portland cement? 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 15