Knowledge Base
Community

Job seekers on giffgaff.

Started by: gotha51
On: 19/03/2019 | 07:13
Replies: 9

by: gotha51
on: 19/03/2019 | 07:13

Should members who claim certain benefits get a reduced goodybag price?

Job search can be expensive.  Maybe the Job Centre can get a deal with h giffgaff to help with job search.

Message 1 of 10
by: k89bpa
on: 19/03/2019 | 07:21 edited: 19/03/2019 | 07:24
GGK-0319-0715

No

Whilst it could possibly be argued that an incoming line is essential for job seekers, an outgoing one isn't and a data provision isn't, because anything relevant to their job seeking can be provided for by their job centre, (outgoing calls related to job seeking and computers and internet access), and via free WiFi providers.

Anything for personal use, they can damn well pay like the rest of us.

Especially given many of them would likely be claiming payback and probably not declaring it to the DWP, so be able to afford to pay for service from that.
Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 2 of 10
by: gvmhb
on: 19/03/2019 | 08:44

No.

I think it would be far to complicated and expensive for Giffgaff to administer, and there's no good reason why they should anyway. 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 10
by: titan2019
on: 19/03/2019 | 08:51

No,

Think they get enough as things are.

Message 4 of 10
by: claire1uk
on: 19/03/2019 | 09:52

No I don't think they should. 

I've been in that situation myself and giffgaffs tariffs were very good. 

It's all about budgeting your finances better. 

Message 5 of 10
by: davidevans0000
on: 19/03/2019 | 09:56
NO, they shouldn't how would they prove that they were on benefits.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 10
by: starkey93
on: 19/03/2019 | 10:09

@k89bpawrote:

GGK-0319-0715

No

Whilst it could possibly be argued that an incoming line is essential for job seekers, an outgoing one isn't and a data provision isn't, because anything relevant to their job seeking can be provided for by their job centre, (outgoing calls related to job seeking and computers and internet access), and via free WiFi providers.

Anything for personal use, they can damn well pay like the rest of us.

Especially given many of them would likely be claiming payback and probably not declaring it to the DWP, so be able to afford to pay for service from that.

I'm on carers because I am a carer for my mum, so not a jobseekers but under the scrutiny of the job centre plus lol, but I have to say I agree with @k89bpa if you struggle to afford Internet the jobcentre has computers and telephones you can use for free also connections to the local library where you can also use Internet, there is plenty of choice even popping into a subway buying a coffee and using free WiFi on your phone, all things I did when I had to first sign on. If you want a easy life though buy a goodybag to a vaule that makes sense and also has enough data for job searches as k89 mentioned payback is a great thing and if you are claiming jsa you may consider using some of that data earning payback and then being able to get your service for free, and maybe even have more left over (depending on amount of payback you earn) Smiley Happy 

C.starkey
Message 7 of 10
by: tonicurtis1967
on: 19/03/2019 | 10:25
They were giving out phones to job seekers or money for a phone i forget which but thats silly if they cant top up . @davidevans0000 they could sign a declaration allowing the company to check they are in receipt of benefits .be a lot of hard work though
Message 8 of 10
Highlighted
by: davidevans0000
on: 19/03/2019 | 10:28
@tonicurtis1967 those on benefits would be better off on o2 or 3 as its only 3p per minute for calls than giffgaffs 15p per minute.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 10
by: djgizzouk
on: 19/03/2019 | 10:31

Great idea but it would need to be run under a different name eg jobline... as companies wouldnt want to be associated with it ... because of the hate you can see in this very thread  ... people work hard and have nothing here because of the system and are taught to hate the poor like there a minority.... its horrible 

Message 10 of 10