Replies: 18

Highlighted
by: michaeldunha
on: 04/12/2018 | 17:06
That's the liberal social workers for you, criminals are always the victim
Message 11 of 19
by: andath
on: 04/12/2018 | 17:20

What about the children? Do their wants/needs count?

I'm not a social worker but I am a teacher and know only too well how parents can screw up their children. These other children are probably well into their teens now and will have so many questions for a parent who let them all down do badly. The desire for contact may well have come from those other children. And even if it's the mother who is requesting contact, the decision to allow it may well have been made (by people who know all the facts) for the benefit of those children. If limited and supervised contact will help those children get answers to the many questions they have, and therefore help them move on with their lives, is it such a bad thing?

There's always a big picture.

Message 12 of 19
by: majorincident
on: 04/12/2018 | 17:24

If this is the wish of the children, that's fine.  However, if the mother is just abusing the system, that's another thing.  Further when a child reaches 18, it is entitled to refuse any contact from a parent.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves.
Message 13 of 19
by: dory85
on: 04/12/2018 | 17:28

@tonicurtis1967 why o why what's world coming to shouldn't be allowed 

Message 14 of 19
by: acetech
on: 04/12/2018 | 18:10

@majorincident wrote:

@acetech wrote:

Only way to potentially stop this would be for the other person with parental responsibility (or possibly parental control if it's been through court already), to go through the courts to try to revoke letterbox contact ...

Or just look out for the envelope stamped HMP wherever and destroy it. 

True, but ironically that would be an offense.

It depends on the age of the children too of course as they may be able to make their own mind up to not read or reply if they don't want to.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 15 of 19
by: magspider
on: 04/12/2018 | 20:11

Aren't you only allowed to see your own grandchildren in the presence of a court-appointed social worker?

[ No spiders were harmed in the making of this post ]

Join giffgaff, get £5 free bonus credit
Message 16 of 19
by: eileenusher
on: 04/12/2018 | 20:17
The only way to stop this would be to take away her parental rights through the courts.
Message 17 of 19
by: majorincident
on: 04/12/2018 | 20:19

@andath wrote:

So far the picture has only been splashed across the tabloids - here, here and here.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves.
Message 18 of 19
by: andath
on: 04/12/2018 | 20:22

@majorincident wrote:

@andath wrote:

So far the picture has only been splashed across the tabloids - here, here and here.

That was part of my point @majorincident. None of us know the ins and outs. But when did that ever stop the righteous indignation of keyboard warriors?

Message 19 of 19