Knowledge Base
Community

Let's Just Not Stay In E. U.

Started by: starkey93
On: 03/12/2018 | 03:40
Replies: 49

by: tooltrader
on: 03/12/2018 | 15:12
Oil is our global index for the foreseeable future cameliawing,as it will not run out in our lifetime it will stay a global index.
Message 41 of 50
by: majorincident
on: 03/12/2018 | 15:15

Yep, we are going to be dependent on oil until we have used the last barrel @tooltrader and are only dallying with renewables and other forms of energy.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves.
Message 42 of 50
Highlighted
on: 03/12/2018 | 15:19
zakrs,well put the pound at 2 quid and no body can afford our goods,big companies would have bought oil at fixed rates any way.
Message 43 of 50
on: 03/12/2018 | 15:22
Its never going to run out majorincident,theres just too much oil in the planet for it to do so,all other energy will not be able to compare in our lifetime.
Message 44 of 50
by: majorincident
on: 03/12/2018 | 15:40

I rather think that oil will run out of us. Smiley Very Happy  Actually, you are probably right as new reserves are found time to time.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves.
Message 45 of 50
by: andyslc
on: 03/12/2018 | 16:57

@kenralph People don’t really seem to care about anything unless it fits their narrative. Hard facts are dismissed as some sort of alternative truth

. Read the comments to the video and you still get all sorts of made up nonsense. Clearly the video has a bias but I scrolled through a fair few and the responses ranged from “don’t care” through to “you can make facts say anything”. One even thought we could only currently trade with 6% of the world - not heard that one before. Smiley LOL

Before any Brexit supporters moan, as I proved on this thread there was some really ridiculous stuff made out by Remain. I also strongly disapprove of some of the inferences of that video where all Brexiteers are lumped together (the video should have made it clear which individuals inferred what. As for the Katy Hopkins bit I don’t see it as at all relevant. It’s one individuals sceptic opinion that most people in this country wouldn’t stand by.

I think this is perhaps the problem with the Brexit debate (or one of them). When pretty horrendous lies (as I pointed out with the bus on another thread, there was no need to lie) or statements are used alongside blanket terms for whole swathes of the population then people will kick back, and not always rationally. It all then just descends into farce.

Veni vidi dormivi
Message 46 of 50
by: sarahaxon
on: 03/12/2018 | 17:17
@andyslc @kenralph

I think you are right that a core issue of the Brexit debate is knowing what are facts and who to trust. Michael Gove famously dismissed 'experts' - but remember that was in the context that said experts were not saying things that fit in with his narrative.

Not all info about Brexit is fake news. Some of it is undoubtedly true. Take the bloke in the video who pointed out that putting up trade barriers is bad for the economy, because it makes us less competitive - especially with our biggest market. Which is what leaving the EU means. So there will be a cost to us. All sorts of scenarios have been suggested, but every single one says we will be worse off. And for some considerable time to come.

If that's what people want, then OK, vote for it. But don't pretend it's not that the one thing will not cause the other.
To claim that we should “respect the result” even if it trashes people’s livelihoods and impoverishes the country is fanaticism.
Message 47 of 50
by: nefarius
on: 03/12/2018 | 17:22 edited: 03/12/2018 | 17:49

Are you making predictions about future predictions? @kate1028

There were ludicrous predictions (some still pending) and promises on both sides. I'd call that one a draw. 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 48 of 50
by: kenralph
on: 03/12/2018 | 17:45

When experts land a proverbial kitchen table on a proverbial dime 40,000,000 miles away, I tend to believe them.

Although some MP's believe we've had enough of them.

Message 49 of 50
by: c_lockett
on: 03/12/2018 | 17:57

@starkey93 wrote:

@c_lockett long time coming

I'll be glad to see the end of it. @starkey93 

Message 50 of 50