Community

Let's just STAY in the EU?

Started by: ytokyo
On: 28/11/2018 | 16:49
Replies: 494

by: majorincident
on: 09/12/2018 | 08:56

@sarahaxon wrote:

I'm not saying we should wholeheartedly embrace Norway plus as a solution that will unite the nation.

I'm just pointing out that at this stage it's better to encourage moves in the right direction.

The Norway model is too close to just remaining.  The right direction would be to revoke Article 50 and cancel Brexit.

@silemairin: time to stop fighting the Second World War.

If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy. David Davis, Conservative MP
Message 431 of 495
by: silemairin
on: 09/12/2018 | 09:16
@sarahaxon,Sorry you saw my last sentence like that ,but it hardly matches the insults that are directed in the direction of the ignorant fools/idiots who didnt know what they were doing, well just maybe we did .I have said it before and will say it again I have read many of the articles in the Lisbon I voted against a Federation of Europe ,
Should I care about politicians ,no more than the noncare they show us the people ,they allowed Rowton house to be bought by a hotel chain in Clerkenwell and deprived the homeless in a part of London that could be sleeping in shelter rather than in doorways ..
The argument on the EU will continue could just do away with the sneers and insult as though we are an inferior race to those who think they know better .
Message 432 of 495
on: 09/12/2018 | 09:34
@majorincident , Oh boy how far down the sewers can people go to throw insult after insult , you don't know me as I don't know you so please do not assume you know why I voted.
Message 433 of 495
by: sarahaxon
on: 09/12/2018 | 10:39
@silemairin
I think the time for name calling is past. What we can agree on is that the Brexit process has been incredibly badly handled, to the extent that we are now facing a potential national crisis and our leaders still cannot agree what to do next.

Those who promoted leaving (Johnson, Davis etc) have failed to deliver on their promises that we could leave the EU without causing harm to people's jobs and livelihoods.

In this situation returning to the people to check that this is really what we want seems to me the only way forward.
Message 434 of 495
on: 09/12/2018 | 11:02
@sarahaxon Agree with you regarding insults. I left school a long time ago.

As for Johnson and Davis I hold Davies in high esteem he is one of the few honourable MPs in existance in my opinion his reason for resigning sounded a good enough reason . Ollie Robbins an avid remainer is running the show everything Davies promoted was turned down , Robbins even sits in on cabinet meetings , as for the focus group word who created brexit it hasn't the power of the word independence which is what I voted for . also as an aside for anyone who may be surprised at my action My Christmas cards went off to my German friends last tuesday , for those that think it has anything to be living in the past
Message 435 of 495
Highlighted
on: 09/12/2018 | 11:25 edited: 09/12/2018 | 11:27

@silemairin: nobody knows anybody on the internet and I prefer to live my life according to these words widely attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt.

If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy. David Davis, Conservative MP
Message 436 of 495
by: sarahaxon
on: 09/12/2018 | 12:04
@silemairin

You might see David Davis as a man of principle, but unfortunately he was very ill prepared to head up the negotiations. He was a true 'Brexiteer', a lifelong Eurosceptic, but he made a real hash of a project that he had supported for years. After all those years of complaining, he showed he didn't even understand the basics of how it works :

He thought he could make deals with individual member states rather than negotiate with the EU as a whole
He insisted that we could leave the single market and the customs union and nothing would change economically
He capitulated immediately over the sequencing of talks - the first and possibly the most important decision
In December 2017 he signed off the Northern Irish backstop - evidently without understanding it, as shortly afterwards he tried to backtrack (evidently when the penny dropped).

Yes he was frozen out of talks because he messed it up from start to finish.

His replacement, Dominic Raab didn't last long either.
Message 437 of 495
on: 09/12/2018 | 13:18
@sarahaxon its all down to perception both him and Raab were got rid of for political reasons they just maybe have been just that bit too ready to fight for indepedence, we can only surmise things as we see them ,lets face it the other two in the negotiations are avid remainers .
A friend of mine who is also a remainer said to me after the vote by the people ,gosh Sile you must be over the moon , My response was if you believe we will come out you have more faith than me , you see sarah I have watched and was in Ireland when I saw the fear factor work same thing has happened in eu countries not one referendum that has voted against the EU has not had a second vote so if I am cynical so be it.
Message 438 of 495
on: 09/12/2018 | 16:30

Faith is for the religious @silemairin.  We have more or less been in recession since 2008, but Brexit is now all that anybody is talking about.  The government could have played its part in alleviating the worst of this, but chose to fritter away taxpayers' money bailing out the institutions who put us in recession in the first place. 

Message 440 of 495