Knowledge Base
Community

List of 3G ONLY phones

Started by: goldenratio
On: 11/01/2019 | 23:40
Replies: 6

by: goldenratio
on: 11/01/2019 | 23:40

I need to know which phones are 3G ONLY.

I would prefer to buy a good used make - instead of buying a cheap Chinese phone.

Is there such a list anywhere? Smiley Happy

Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
by: gvmhb
on: 12/01/2019 | 07:41
So are you wanting to buy a 3g only one?
I don't know if there's such a list, but any from the better known makers that really have no 4g will be getting quite old now.

I've recently bought a Xiaomi redmi note 3 Pro. It doesn't have the o2/Giffgaff 4g frequency so is only working on 3g.
I really find no difference in Giffgaff data speed from the 4g one I had before.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 7
by: nefarius
on: 12/01/2019 | 09:12

I doubt you'll find a 3g only phone. Can't think of an application for them? 

Chinese phones are brilliant!

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 7
by: masterluke
on: 12/01/2019 | 09:57

I don't like Chinese phones either I find them tacky I bought a Samsung J3 (2016) dual SIM 3G phone (4G version also available). Easily the best phone I've ever had. Not sure why you're wanting a 3G only phone though, 4G is not exactly compulsory, if no 4G signal is available it drops to 3G, or 2G even. I didn't bother with a 4G phone because I think they're a complete waste of time as things stand other than for data because most don't support VoLTE (Voice over 4G/LTE calls), other than from network supplied phones as a firmware hack / bolt-on. The masts (as in 4G masts) where I live don't even support it. 4G is just a complete mess and only useful for data. VoLTE seems to be the new way of networks holding their customers to ransom as they do with locked phones

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 7
by: goonerx2
on: 12/01/2019 | 10:51
More expensive Chinese phones are absolutely excellent.
Message 5 of 7
by: kate1028
on: 12/01/2019 | 11:23

Why not just turn everything except 3g off ?   My brilliant, inexpensive and certainly not tacky, Huawei phone gives me the choice of 4g/3g/2g auto, 3g/2g auto, 3g only, or 2g only.   And it's never let me down ! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
by: timwilliams25
on: 12/01/2019 | 11:58 edited: 12/01/2019 | 12:00

@goldenratio

Why do you only want a phone that can use 3G?

If you do not live in a 4G coverage area, a 4G ready phone would automatically down-shift to 3G anyway.

Many new phones are 4G ready, although some of the Alcatel models are not 4g, 3g only but the quality on them would not be that great.  You could look to pick up an old iphone 5, but that too, would be very old now and not receive any updates.

I personally would buy the phone I like, one that suits my budget and then just use it.  You would be able to tell the phone in it's settings that you only want it to connect to 3G (not 4G) anyway.  This can be done from phone settings>mobile connection>preferred network mode (or similar, depending on your phone) see my screen shot below from my Honor 10.  I would recommend Honor phones for a Flagship level phone at a fraction of the cost - and if you want, you can lock it to 3G too..

Screenshot_20190112_115721.jpg

Hope this helps

CLICK HERE to get a free £5 credit with this giffgaff Sim order. We all like something for free!
Message 7 of 7