Started by: andyslc
On: 07/12/2016 | 08:34
Replies: 18

by: elfa70
on: 07/12/2016 | 12:49

The Referendum asked two questions.

Do we want to stay in the EU.

Do we want to leave the EU.

Brexit voters won. Our system for elections is First Past the Post, which means we are out of the EU. It's called Democracy.

Had the Remainers won, I don't think they'd be pushing for another vote.

Message 11 of 19
by: arahant
on: 07/12/2016 | 12:57 edited: 07/12/2016 | 12:59

elfa70 wrote:

The Referendum asked two questions.

Do we want to stay in the EU.

Do we want to leave the EU.

Brexit voters won. Our system for elections is First Past the Post, which means we are out of the EU. It's called Democracy.

Had the Remainers won, I don't think they'd be pushing for another vote.

i know and they say we voted on the exit not destination such a huge deceit.

~I just hope Sleaford Bi-Election they vote in UKIP and send a strong message to the goverment and the remainers.

this is my new profile for nosherfj
Message 12 of 19
by: c_lockett
on: 07/12/2016 | 17:39
I wish they'd just get on with it.
Message 13 of 19
by: andyslc
on: 07/12/2016 | 17:49

A referendum is not a vote in the legal sense. It is not legally binding unless prescribed by parliament to be so. Nothing in the 2015 Act even comes close to intimating that it would be legally binding. Parliament, by passing the Act basically said we will ask the people what they want and then we will weigh up what the people want with what it would mean to the country. There is nothing new in this and their should be no surprises. The PM promised to carry it through but the PM and their ministers are not Parliament and had no legal basis to make such a promise. 

Why people who cited that they voted to leave for parliament to regain its sovereignty now want to see that removed is beyond me and goes against everything democracy in this country stands for. Once legal precedence is set it can be very difficult to come back from, especially when a standing government can claim it has prerogative over parliamentary sovereignty.

No one is trying to change the rules except the PM and her ministers. The problem in this situation is that had the vote to remain won there would be no need to go to parliament as the law would not need to be changed so to say that had the situation been reversed then remainers would act differently has no standing as the Leave side would be unable to pursue the same arguements being presented at the Supreme Court. 

This is no stitch up. It's about the separation of politics and law and ensuring that politicians are answerable to the electorate and the law. The arguements put before the court over the last 3 days have been complex and varied but I d be very surprised if the government wins as their arguements were no where as convincing on a legal basis as their opponents.

Veni vidi dormivi
Message 14 of 19
by: mrwmitty
on: 07/12/2016 | 17:56 edited: 07/12/2016 | 17:58

It`s a very clever ploy to get what they want and make it look like it`s not the governments fault, actually, the people have voted and all they have to do is what we, who they represent, ask, quickly.
In laymans terms, they are trying to be a Clever lot, they are trying to remain but by blaming someone else,
They always get what they want, they just try to make us think it`s what we want, this is a tough cookie for them to deal with

Take it how you like, It`s meant as a friendly post.
Regards, Walter.
Message 16 of 19
by: wilpatgala
on: 07/12/2016 | 18:01
We can only wait and see how it all unravels. I am disgusted at some of our MPs of their lack of leadership and their absolute ignorance of the whole procedure. I think they should stand down and call another general election.
Get a free giffgaff SIM. It includes £5 free credit, yay!
Message 17 of 19
by: mrwmitty
on: 07/12/2016 | 18:12
Tell you what I think,
They think they are smarter than us and think that putting on a great show will let them get away with what they want to do and we will say they did their best to stop it.

It`s all a great big tax payer funded show
Take it how you like, It`s meant as a friendly post.
Regards, Walter.
Message 18 of 19
Highlighted
by: andyslc
on: 07/12/2016 | 21:26
@ferguswelsh the only person stifling the democratic process is the pm. Hopefully today's vote in Parliament will ease people's minds as to parliaments intent to carry out the referendum result.
Veni vidi dormivi
Message 19 of 19