Community

Maybe it is Racism/Xenophobia

Started by: k89bpa
On: 20/01/2019 | 22:11
Replies: 100

Highlighted
by: k89bpa
on: 20/01/2019 | 22:11 edited: 20/01/2019 | 22:14

I've always thought that the referendum was mostly driven by ignorance because both sides spouted so much nonsense, but more and more I'm wondering if the primary motivation of the leave side isn't just good old fashioned racism and xenophobia.

Why?

The lack of any attempt to form a coherent argument to explain why they voted the way they did. I'm not just talking about here either, I'm active on multiple websites, (mainly news ones), and I keep hearing nothing but soundbites, blatant falsehoods and people blaming the EU for what they see as issues when the real responsibility lies either with themselves or with Parliament and the electorate.

And what's ALWAYS the focus? Immigration and not necessarily from EU countries either. 

I'm genuinely beginning to think that I was way too generous in chalking it down to ignorance. 

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 1 of 101
by: extreme_one
on: 20/01/2019 | 22:21 edited: 20/01/2019 | 22:23

This whole Brexit nightmare was predicted by Yoda years ago.

fear-leads-to-anger-anger-leads-to-hate-leads-to-suffering-yoda.jpg

Fear (of foreigners) leads to anger.

Anger leads to hate (of the EU).

Hate leads to suffering (of the entire UK if they're subjected to a No Deal Brexit).

Smiley Indifferent
Message 2 of 101
by: deadshot1
on: 20/01/2019 | 22:22
I was to young to vote cos I was 16 when the brexit vote was but if I was 18 then I would of voted leave one hundred percent .
Message 3 of 101
by: techiebloke
on: 20/01/2019 | 22:29 edited: 20/01/2019 | 22:30

@k89bpa

The two (or perhaps three) issues of taking back control of laws, borders and the reduction of expenditure were used by the leave side to hammer home the argument.

They don't need anything else because your average voter whose intellectual diet consists of reality TV and talent shows doesn't have the motivation to carry out the research for themselves and that's what the leaders seized upon to further their political ambitions (and possibly financial ones too).

Every country in the world has its share of undesirables (including our own) and yes, we need to crack down on these type of people but tarring everyone from country x or y with the same brush oversimplifies the reality.

Leaving the EU won't reduce the number of those on the move due to instability at home but that's too difficult to put in front of the electorate.

I think it's a case of many folks being easily lead which is of course always dangerous.

"Get your free SIM with £5 credit"

Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind
Message 4 of 101
by: andath
on: 20/01/2019 | 22:33

Ha ha ha @k89bpa.

I'm moving in the opposite direction to you. The longer this Brexit débâcle goes on, the more I'm moving towards ignorance to explain it!

Message 5 of 101
on: 20/01/2019 | 22:40

@deadshot1 wrote:

I was to young to vote cos I was 16 when the brexit vote was but if I was 18 then I would of voted leave one hundred percent .

@deadshot1

But what for?

Message 6 of 101
on: 20/01/2019 | 22:46

@extreme_one wrote:

This whole Brexit nightmare was predicted by Yoda years ago.

fear-leads-to-anger-anger-leads-to-hate-leads-to-suffering-yoda.jpg

Fear (of foreigners) leads to anger.

Anger leads to hate (of the EU).

Hate leads to suffering (of the entire UK if they're subjected to a No Deal Brexit).

@extreme_one

For those interested in history this is sounding alarmingly familiar isn't it?

Message 7 of 101
by: deadshot1
on: 20/01/2019 | 22:51
@techiebloke cos we would be so much better off outside of the eu. Every year we pay billions to the eu . If we didn’t have to pay that we could reinvest that in education or in the armed forces. Plus leaving it would give us plenty more opportunities to trade with other countries. That’s only two of the many things that will make us better off don’t u want this country to be better off and thriving rather than being put down by the eu which they’ve done for years
Message 8 of 101
by: pete2009
on: 20/01/2019 | 22:51

Maybe we are just fed up and want a change of direction !.

Message 9 of 101
by: silemairin
on: 20/01/2019 | 23:19
@k89bpa
Niether myself or many others I know who voted for independence even discussed immigration , in fact I don't know any racists in the many people I know and know a great many
I actually did research and the final straw was when I read the Lisbon and realised the next few years would mean a federal state and I did not like the ultimate aim which was for a central treasury with a unified tax system .
I am sure that there was some racism for some but that is a generalisation ,

Lets face it the whole thing was a very big mistake by Cameron he honestly believed the vote would be remain , he was scared into it by the now defunct UKIP
Message 10 of 101