Community

Maybe it is Racism/Xenophobia

Started by: k89bpa
On: 20/01/2019 | 22:11
Replies: 100

by: sarahaxon
on: 21/01/2019 | 16:20
Hi @acetech

Threads such as this can get quite confusing when there's several people posting at once.

You said: '...then there's the posts such as this which ignore all of it just to try to show some kind of superiority....'
Was that aimed at me? Or someone else?

Anyway - that's a minor point. I was more interested when you said:

'Bottom line is of course nobody will get the exact thing they voted for, Mays deal wasn't even close to what anyone voted for,'

The reception of May's deal certainly proves your first point. But in your opinion, what was it that anyone actually voted for?
Message 31 of 101
by: slarti
on: 21/01/2019 | 16:27

@k89bpa From the day the DC said that he was tinking of a referrendum, before the Tory party conference, before it was set up, I don't know anybody who changed their stated position, especialy not based on the FUD and lies coming from the politicians on bothe sides.

From what I saw and heard, online and at the various organisations that I visited for my work, it was obvious to me that the vote would be leave. All that surprised me was that the margin wasn't larger than it actually was.

Message 32 of 101
Highlighted
by: k89bpa
on: 21/01/2019 | 16:47

@slarti wrote:

From what I saw and heard ... it was obvious to me that the vote would be leave...

Same, that's how and why I was able to significantly increase my "wealth" by making the bets that I did. I agree with the rest of your post too.

@acetech as @sarahaxon people on both sides need to explain and be honest about their reasons for voting rather than constantly trotting out soundbjtes and regurgitatong the crap spewing from the professional mouthpieces so that we can begin to resolve this issue. 

That's the first step to fixing this mess. Honest and open dialogue.

You don't want people like me to make assumptions of ignorance, stop behaving in an ignorant manner, tell us, whether you voted remain or leave, what your precise reasons for voting were.

Demonstrate that you have a wealth of knowledge about that upon which we were asked to vote and that you used that knowledge to form a reasonable, considered opinion and that you voted along those lines rather than constantly spewing crap which is easily disproven by a few seconds to minutes on Google.

The former will stop the assumption of ignorance dead in it's tracks. The latter will perpetuate it. That stands whichever "side" you were on.

Of course there ARE people who have done this on both sides and they are clearly knowledgeable regarding the EU, how it works and how it affects the lives of citizens in member countries, and I have never called them ignorant, but 99% of discussion has NOT involved that demonstration of knowledge and understanding, it has been totally devoid of that, and so what other conclusion can someone with the knowledge and understanding reach in the face of that?

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 80GB

Message 33 of 101
by: sarahaxon
on: 21/01/2019 | 20:01
@slarti @k89bpa
Good for you that you saw it coming. I didn't. Which can only be my fault for being too much in my bubble. I'm not making that mistake again.

The only people in my circle who predicted it (and voted for it) were the two richest people I know. Happily insulated from the consequences. But they are both self made men and have loyalties and connections in the communities they grew up in.

I'm sure they made a packet from their accurate predictions. That's why they're millionaires and I'm not.
Message 34 of 101
by: cordlesswill
on: 21/01/2019 | 20:41
I want England to win the world cup,am I racist or xenophobic?
Message 35 of 101
by: majorincident
on: 21/01/2019 | 21:21

I suggest you look up the meaning of these words.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves.
Message 36 of 101
on: 21/01/2019 | 21:24
Why?its a question.
Message 37 of 101
by: majorincident
on: 21/01/2019 | 21:28

Which could be answered by your actually looking the meaning of the words.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves.
Message 38 of 101
on: 21/01/2019 | 21:29
So could all the other posts.
Message 39 of 101
by: silemairin
on: 21/01/2019 | 22:36 edited: 21/01/2019 | 22:39

Interesting @ k89bpa quote <people on both sides need to explain and be honest about their reasons for
voting ,
Best you don't state your reasons on here as some sneer at your reasons when you post them .I realise you are not talking of the general public , I particulary like your last pharagraph ,
It would seem  that the majority of speakers in the HOC and the Lords who are calling for another vote appear to still get a pension from the EU ,

Message 40 of 101