Knowledge Base
Community

More pointless Knighthoods/Damehoods

Started by: techiebloke
On: 29/12/2018 | 16:08
Replies: 15

by: techiebloke
on: 29/12/2018 | 16:08

https://news.sky.com/story/twiggy-southgate-kane-and-cook-all-honoured-in-new-year-list-11593724

I absolutely agree with recognising members of the public who do extraordinary things with MBEs, OBEs etc but why are Cricketers, mediocre comedians/travel writers and old models getting Knighthoods and Damehoods?

Surely a man or woman who has been extremely brave in the military deserves that title more?

Yes I have mentioned it before but it's something that really, really irks me.

"Get your free SIM with £5 credit"

Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind
Message 1 of 16
by: baconbutty
on: 29/12/2018 | 16:13

MBE for scoring a few penaltys you have to laff.

banner.png
Message 2 of 16
by: tonicurtis1967
on: 29/12/2018 | 17:01
Yea. It does seem pointless
Message 3 of 16
by: k89bpa
on: 29/12/2018 | 17:53
I dunno, Sir Michael Palin has a lovely ring to it.

I was surprised when I heard the news, I thought he became a sir years ago.
Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 4 of 16
by: bluenose5
on: 29/12/2018 | 17:56

At least John Lennon gave his Back. 

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 16
by: bobsta
on: 29/12/2018 | 18:02

One of our directors received an OBE for services to the construction industry. I thought he was a pompous tw*t but became a complete pompous one insisting that all comunications from him had OBE on the end. It's a system that should be completely disbanded.

Message 6 of 16
by: techiebloke
on: 29/12/2018 | 18:03

Hmmm. making truckloads of cash for doing something you enjoy, errrr  no.

Those that risk their lives to save others or whose work saves the lives of others (medical professionals that pioneer life saving procedures or drugs) but musicians, comedians and sports stars, definitely not.

"Get your free SIM with £5 credit"

Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind
Message 7 of 16
by: andath
on: 29/12/2018 | 18:43

I saw a guy interviewed on the BBC news channel earlier. He'd received an award (OBE I think?) for setting up a charity in the name of his son who he'd lost to knife crime fifteen years ago. He had worked tirelessly since then with the aim of speaking in every secondary school in greater London to tell young people his story and educate them about the dangers of carrying a knife.

A really impressive man. Especially when explaining the award wasn't important to him but that he accepted it as it would raise the profile of his work and hopefully make his message more effective.

There was more 'point' in his little finger than in all the other recipients who have been rolled out today to talk about their achievements. 

Message 8 of 16
by: vickyjakesmum
on: 29/12/2018 | 18:48

I do agree @techiebloke there are thousands of men and women who do amazing things year in year out, in our communitys. 

The only thing I would say is that the 'celebs' who are in the news being awarded MBE's Knighthoods etc, I personally feel that there must be more to what they do than we see as Joe public. I notice Twiggys was for her work with Charity's as well as fashion. 

I just think that there's got to be more to these people than we see. Maybe I'm a gullible push over, I dunno. 😉

My Uncle is an MBE, for services in the Military Police, my Nan used to get it muddled up and call it the MEB! (Midlands electricity board) 😂

Message 9 of 16
by: tradertall
on: 29/12/2018 | 19:57
traditions before common sense.

just like the army training horses...
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 16