Knowledge Base
Community

Music: Lee Moon Sae

Started by: k89bpa
On: 09/10/2018 | 21:01
Replies: 28

by: k89bpa
on: 09/10/2018 | 21:01

I was sure that I posted a thread about this dude before promoted by YouTube alerting me to the following videos from a Korean variety/talent show.

1. https://youtu.be/03U3-xBFZeM
  2. https://youtu.be/Lx61vBPj_iY
  3. https://youtu.be/O71zRU_sj4k

But I can't for the life of me find it so presumably I wrote it but didn't actually hit the post button. I became obsessed with both of them, (Lee Moon Sae is the dude - the girl's name is Kim Yun Hee), and contented myself with scouring YouTube for their stuff, thinking that because his songs are old they wouldn't be available anywhere but there, (they're all originally released in the 80s).

Yesterday I actually got round to watching the four episodes of the show they featured on and discovered that he's quite hilarious, that she's really sweet and that together they matched the record with the first performance, (2nd video), and beat it with their second, (3rd video). Their score was never beaten either for the raw numbers or the percentage when the voting on the show changed.

She went on to star in another talent show, remarkably she didn't win, but after working with her here, Lee Moon Sae actually signed her to his agency, (he was extremely impressed with her - she was fourteen when it was filmed and he talked about how she needed virtually no direction to be able to perform with him, he even let her choose the song for their second performance and stood back while she was introducing it, afterwards commenting on the fact that her performances made him forget all about the 40+ year age gap).

He just continues to be thoroughly amazing!

I pumped his name into Spotify tonight, expecting to find maybe two or three tracks if I was lucky, but no, he has full albums on there, including my new favourite...

https://open.spotify.com/album/4GwoC91P9MEZfyuk3ObLBb?si=E2AkTNxUSRWRYjhVHNkh2w

If you want to hear the originals of the songs in the videos...

1. Track 5 = Video 3
  2. Track 18 = The song he sings to her in Video 1
  3. Track 21 = The song she sings to her in Video 1
  4. Track 26 = Video 2

He doesn't just do ballads and power ballads either, check out this bit of fun from the same show, (it's his song - the dude with the flower in his hair is K Will a very popular guy in Korea, the guy with the long hair Kim Kyung Ho, widely considered one of the best rock singers, not just in Korea either, he's been acknowledged by contemporaries the world over, check out his song called "Shout" https://youtu.be/oSpi1P6l-Mc or "To Hell With The Devil" https://youtu.be/rMQCaEpC6Po), and there are other styles on the album too.

Forgive me if this is a duplicate thread but I've done it like this so I can actually find it again, when I inevitably want to revisit in the future. 

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 80GB

Message 1 of 29
on: 09/10/2018 | 21:03 edited: 09/10/2018 | 21:07

A rough translation of what she sings to him...

Even if that person looks at me, I don’t know that person.
Even if the heart beats, you don’t know you now.
The face that I once missed, if I just passed by
I am not regretful in your emptiness.
Even if you know me, I don't remember you.
Even if you cry, if love is gone

And his reply...

Um... in the cold wind
Despite crying alone
I will stay with you all the time.
I will not leave

------ 

The translation is a very rough one, heavily dependent on Google Translate, her song is called "When Love Passes By" and his "Girl", if you wanna search for better. Both originally sung by him, Lee Moon Sae.

Message 2 of 29
on: 09/10/2018 | 21:17
If you wanna dance, check out track number two on the album, or head to around 7:40 in https://youtu.be/LeBkujK3tS8 to see him perform it live, (the first song is the whole thing he sings in video one in the opening post).

Message 3 of 29
on: 10/10/2018 | 15:28
I really can't stop listening and the more I do the more I'm falling hopelessly in love with his voice.

I'm genuinely struggling to think of someone with a better voice than his, certainly a more pleasant and versatile one.

I may finally have found the one singer that I could listen to endlessly on repeat without ever getting sick of doing so.

Some of the vocals he recorded are literally making my body tingle, way more than I have ever experienced with other singers before and he's the first ever to give me that sensation with his low notes.

I have to see him live at least once before one of us dies. He's incredible!

Message 4 of 29
by: acetech
on: 10/10/2018 | 16:01 edited: 10/10/2018 | 16:04

Got to admit he does have a good voice, so does his duo partner Kim Yoon hee, especially given she's so young.

I'd never heard either before to my recollection but just listened to several, 'whistle' being my favourite of the three YouTube links you shared (the third one), even though I couldn't understand a word it shows more range and power in their voices iny opinion.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 29
on: 10/10/2018 | 16:48 edited: 10/10/2018 | 17:00

@acetech, the full performance videos, (2&3), have English subtitles, (turn on CC), that aren't terrible.

If you like his voice, I highly recommend the album I've linked, it's phenomenal. I keep wanting to check out his other albums but I'm finding the one linked impossible to turn off.

It's quite possibly the best album I've ever heard, it's certainly is the first one I've never skipped or shuffled the tracks, (I actually feel shuffling it and taking away from the natural progression would greatly detract from it).

I wish I knew the story of it because it sounds like a live performance, (music and vocals), it's structured like a live performance but there is zero crowd sound. It's like they had everyone in a studio for a full rehearsal and recorded it.

Whatever the story, it's an incredible album.

I love, love, the arrangements and duets in the videos but the original arrangements with just him and his backing singers are something else. They're every bit as good but in a totally different way.

I had so many plans today, but I put the album on this morning, closed my eyes, intending to listen to it once before I got productive, I've not moved since and the vast majority of the time I've had my eyes closed focused entirely on the music and his voice which have totally intoxicated me.

If I could only listen to one singer/album for the rest of my life, I really think he and that album are it. I've stopped writing this post multiple times just so I can focus on sections of what's playing.

Nobody has ever made me do that before.

The way the show works, they compete against other artists and the partners they choose, there's three pairs per episode, (and the champion from the previous recording), the audience gives an approval to those they like...

The first week they won with 295/300 audience members. 

The second week, (Whistle), they went after the rocker performed his duet with his best known song and his partner was fantastic too, they had a total standing ovation, everyone was standing. Kyung Ho was looking so confident. They scored 291/300 and the panelists were all saying he was gonna take the crown.

Then these two performed.

While they were waiting for the scores the the host asked Kyung Ho if he was still confident of winning and honestly he looked shellshocked. I have never seen him look as old, exhausted and beaten as he did then. They scored 296/300. 

The best thing was the kids reaction, the first week she was stunned and then burst into tears, the second week she was much more nervous and it was clear from her body language that she thought they were gonna lose, especially after Kyung Ho performed, if you watch you'll see her nervousness in her hands whilst she's performing. When the results came out she was even more shocked and then she got so excited that she didn't know what to do with herself. 

It was "delightfully awkward", and he was like a super proud father. 

Sorry for the large edit, I got lost in the music for a few minutes, hit post so I wouldn't lose what I'd already written. 

Message 6 of 29
on: 10/10/2018 | 17:18
There is a song on the album, "애" (https://youtu.be/DmWt0P7ANvc), normally I can't stand music like that but it's one of my favourites on the album, lol

Message 7 of 29
by: acetech
on: 10/10/2018 | 18:08

@k89bpa wrote:

@acetech, the full performance videos, (2&3), have English subtitles, (turn on CC), that aren't terrible.

If you like his voice, I highly recommend the album I've linked, it's phenomenal. I keep wanting to check out his other albums but I'm finding the one linked impossible to turn off.

It's quite possibly the best album I've ever heard, it's certainly is the first one I've never skipped or shuffled the tracks, (I actually feel shuffling it and taking away from the natural progression would greatly detract from it).

I wish I knew the story of it because it sounds like a live performance, (music and vocals), it's structured like a live performance but there is zero crowd sound. It's like they had everyone in a studio for a full rehearsal and recorded it.

Whatever the story, it's an incredible album.

I love, love, the arrangements and duets in the videos but the original arrangements with just him and his backing singers are something else. They're every bit as good but in a totally different way.

I had so many plans today, but I put the album on this morning, closed my eyes, intending to listen to it once before I got productive, I've not moved since and the vast majority of the time I've had my eyes closed focused entirely on the music and his voice which have totally intoxicated me.

If I could only listen to one singer/album for the rest of my life, I really think he and that album are it. I've stopped writing this post multiple times just so I can focus on sections of what's playing.

Nobody has ever made me do that before.

The way the show works, they compete against other artists and the partners they choose, there's three pairs per episode, (and the champion from the previous recording), the audience gives an approval to those they like...

The first week they won with 295/300 audience members. 

The second week, (Whistle), they went after the rocker performed his duet with his best known song and his partner was fantastic too, they had a total standing ovation, everyone was standing. Kyung Ho was looking so confident. They scored 291/300 and the panelists were all saying he was gonna take the crown.

Then these two performed.

While they were waiting for the scores the the host asked Kyung Ho if he was still confident of winning and honestly he looked shellshocked. I have never seen him look as old, exhausted and beaten as he did then. They scored 296/300. 

The best thing was the kids reaction, the first week she was stunned and then burst into tears, the second week she was much more nervous and it was clear from her body language that she thought they were gonna lose, especially after Kyung Ho performed, if you watch you'll see her nervousness in her hands whilst she's performing. When the results came out she was even more shocked and then she got so excited that she didn't know what to do with herself. 

It was "delightfully awkward", and he was like a super proud father. 

Sorry for the large edit, I got lost in the music for a few minutes, hit post so I wouldn't lose what I'd already written. 

I found whistle and another from the competition with the pre song talk, the way he kept making her laugh to help her nerves was good!

I don't have a Spotify account so cannot listen to that album.

But that last one (the swing/jazz one), was a bit too far for my liking, the style of music is just something I've never liked.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 29
on: 10/10/2018 | 18:27
@acetech I was gonna link those ones but copyright, so I went with the official ones.

If you want to see the way she reacted to winning both episodes, if you go to the URL in the video you found and search for the show, she was in S01 E27-30, the wins are the final five minutes of 28 and 30.

The best bit though is definitely Kyung Ho immediately after they performed Whistle.

The last 25-30 minutes of episode 30, (Kyung Ho's performance onwards), are the best bits of that shows entire run, (and my fantasy dude appeared in multiple episodes, both as a solo singer and with his group, if you wanna check him out, he's called Kim Jong Kook, the song he sings in the solo one with his duet is my favourite of his - I can't link because it's not on the official channel).

He's brilliant but, and I never thought I'd ever say this because I thought he was the best singer in the world for ages, I love his voice so much, but he's not as good as Lee Moon Sae, in fact, objectively, he's some way behind.

Message 9 of 29
on: 10/10/2018 | 18:33 edited: 10/10/2018 | 18:56

@acetech https://youtu.be/qFCDWroXzbc a compilation of his recordings someone made.

Or, if you wanna search for the tracks individually....

1. 애국가
  2. 붉은 노을
  3. 파랑새
  4. 그대 나를 보면
  5. 휘파람
  6. Memory
  7. 내가 멀리 있는 건
  8. 아름다운 사랑
  9. 광화문 연가
  10. 난 아직 모르잖아요
  11. 파랑새
  12. 조조할인
  13. 슬픈 미소
  14. 저 햇살속의 먼 여행
  15. 애수
  16. 솔로예찬
  17. 가로수 그늘 아래서면
  18. 소녀
  19. 시를 위한 시
  20. 그대와 영원히
  21. 사랑이 지나가면
  22. 옛사랑
  23. 이세상 살아가다보면
  24. 깊은 밤을 날아서
  25. 붉은 노을
  26. 그녀의 웃음소리뿐
  27. 광화문 연가
  28. 난 아직 모르잖아요

#2&25 are the same song, broken in two parts, https://youtu.be/ZoQgDV58rSU is the best version I've found of it in terms of live performances, go with headphones as loud as you dare, (entirely at your own risk of course). 

The bit where the crowd start singing after going bonkers throughout every time the music picked up is just perfect, lol

Message 10 of 29