Knowledge Base
Community

My latest daft project.

Started by: dtuxcomp
On: 10/05/2016 | 15:26
Replies: 4042

by: dtuxcomp
on: 10/05/2016 | 15:26 edited: 26/02/2019 | 22:13

For anyone just finding this thread, it's not just 1000 + posts of me banging on about fixing a rucksack, I wander off on various tangents about other projects and bodges, also I invite others to post their own daft projects, tips and bodges.

So as a perpetual tinkerer and skinflint I'm off again. A year or so ago I bought a wheeled rucksack from a charity shop for the wonderful sum of 3 quid, result. Well the poor thing has done a lot of heavy lifting since and as expected the wheels started to get a bit done. I'd been looking for some cheap replacement ones when the worst happened, halfway home with a load of shopping I lost a wheel, by the time I got home it had ripped a hole in the bottom of the bag and smashed a bottle, gutted. Now I could just bin it and buy a new one but for a couple of objections, I hate wasting stuff that can be fixed / repaired and I'm skint.

Today I was in a local supermarket and spotted a childs skateboard reduced to clear because the wheels were dirty, jackpot! Only 4 quid.

So now I just have to fix the hole in the bag, remove what's left of the old wheels and fix the skateboard wheels to it, simples.

Saying that, last week I opened up my thumb putting a new hole in my belt with an awl so this could get entertaining :-)

Anyone else as daft when it comes to saving pennies and fixing stuff?

EDIT:-

Just to throw in a link to @cass905 's thread on a similar theme - https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/giffgaff-gameplan-discussions/Up-cycle-your-old-items-CONTINUED/m-...

Smiley Happy Take my advice, I'm not using it | Dtuxcomp's Tips | Free Giffgaff SIM with £5 credit
Message 1 of 4,043
by: gvmhb
on: 10/05/2016 | 16:10

Smiley Very Happy yep. I try to repair everything. Sometimes it works well, and sometimes not - very satisfying when it does though Smiley WinkSmiley Very Happy

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 4,043
by: vickyjakesmum
on: 10/05/2016 | 16:13
Haha, you should go on that TV show super skrimpers! I think you're going to find that skateboard a little hard to control as the wheels don't rotate. But best of luck to you, you go for it.
Closest I ever came was when the kids wore holes in the bottom of their school bags, I used to cut a piece of carpet to go in there, lol, nice n sturdy.
Message 3 of 4,043
on: 12/05/2016 | 00:15
@gvmhb Abvsolutely, there are times when I wish I hadn't started a project 'cos it comes round to bite me in the wotsit, other times it great to stand back and see something working again.
Smiley Happy Take my advice, I'm not using it | Dtuxcomp's Tips | Free Giffgaff SIM with £5 credit
Message 4 of 4,043
on: 12/05/2016 | 00:22
@vickyjakesmum I love the carpet fix for school bags, showing my age here but as kids we used to make caterpillars from offcuts of carpet, just cut a strip about an inch across by 6 to 8 long, place it on a flat surface and stroke the back, it curls up, they don't even make toys like that anymore :-)

You had me baffled for a mo 'cos a skateboard with wheels that don't revolve is.... um a board. Then I twigged you meant like furniture castors that rotate horizontally, I don't need that, I just need the wheels to go round. Pics to follow.
Message 5 of 4,043
by: petermarsh196644a
on: 12/05/2016 | 00:33
yep waste not want not !
i will always try a fix too get a
bit more extra life out of
something , sadly though it
usually ends up being a bodge
job and gets binned ....
Message 6 of 4,043
on: 12/05/2016 | 01:56

Starting with this........IMG_20160510_202758.jpgIMG_20160510_202813.jpgBefore - oooops!

Adding a bit of this.....

IMG_20160510_161430.jpg

Wish me luck :-)

Message 7 of 4,043
by: tokyobuta
on: 12/05/2016 | 03:56

dtuxcomp wrote:

So as a perpetual tinkerer and skinflint I'm off again. A year or so ago I bought a wheeled rucksack from a charity shop for the wonderful sum of 3 quid, result. Well the poor thing has done a lot of heavy lifting since and as expected the wheels started to get a bit done. I'd been looking for some cheap replacement ones when the worst happened, halfway home with a load of shopping I lost a wheel, by the time I got home it had ripped a hole in the bottom of the bag and smashed a bottle, gutted. Now I could just bin it and buy a new one but for a couple of objections, I hate wasting stuff that can be fixed / repaired and I'm skint.

Today I was in a local supermarket and spotted a childs skateboard reduced to clear because the wheels were dirty, jackpot! Only 4 quid.

So now I just have to fix the hole in the bag, remove what's left of the old wheels are fix the skateboard wheels to it, simples.

Saying that, last week I opened up my thumb putting a new hole in my belt with an awl so this could get entertaining :-)

Anyone else as daft when it comes to saving pennies and fixing stuff?

I like your spirit @dtuxcomp.  I do a fair bit of long-haul flying, and the kind attention of baggage handlers around the world soon reduces suitcases to scrap.   Sick of replacing them every couple of years, I've taken to repairing them.  The most common damage is splits on the corners - and the best and easiest repair is to stick lengths of redundant bag strap over the split.

IMG_20160512_034829.jpg

It's very satisfying to repair things.  Last year the switch broke on a twenty year old cooker hood/extractor fan, and replacements were no longer available.  It was rewarding to spend a couple of hours drilling it to accept a generic switch then rewiring it.

Sadly we are now surrounded by devices that are impossible to repair, or where the parts cost more than just buying a new one, so good luck to you,  @dtuxcomp.

Message 8 of 4,043
by: sherwood
on: 12/05/2016 | 06:51
Yes - I have to agree that it is very satisfying to repair things - I put new carbon brushes in the washing machine motor and it started working again!
Message 9 of 4,043
by: vickyjakesmum
on: 12/05/2016 | 08:31
I like your spirit @dtuxcomp

My dad used have a make do n mend attitude. Bit embarrassing for us as kids, he once built a climbing frame in the back garden for us, it was literally this |—| Smiley Happy we spent hours on the thing, plus he used to cut the toes out of our shoes if they were getting a bit too small Smiley Very Happy now that was embarrassing Smiley Very Happy
Message 10 of 4,043