Knowledge Base
Community

Need an app protect app

Started by: ytokyo
On: 09/07/2018 | 09:07
Replies: 5

by: ytokyo
on: 09/07/2018 | 09:07

Can someone recommend an app protect app. Something that locks your apps (after the phone is locked) 

For example, your email. You could have another lock on. 

I sometimes have to give me phone to the masters of the universe (the kids). A swipe here and a swipe there and they could do a lot of damage that I maybe unaware of! 

I had an app that I paid for. But even though I paid, it still gave annoying ads. So looking for another.

Thanks 

Message 1 of 6
by: magspider
on: 09/07/2018 | 09:39

Hi @ytokyo

This kind of functionality is built into many security and antivirus applications. I use the AVG app, which has a function called App Lock, which has a PIN for apps you select. May be able to link your fingerprint to them, too, if your phone has a compatible reader.

The Android® version is here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.antivirus

There's probably standalone apps too, but check their provenance before installing.

[ No spiders were harmed in the making of this post ]

Join giffgaff, get £5 free bonus credit
Message 2 of 6
by: k89bpa
on: 09/07/2018 | 11:10

Most decent apps come with their own locking facility built in, for instance Aquamail and MailDroid can both be locked with a pin, pattern, password and/or fingerprint, (I mention them because they're mail clients and you mentioned email). 

I find that the best way of ensuring access is prevented. 

For those apps which don't prevent access I'd recommend uninstalling them, or disabling them if you can't uninstall them and using alternatives which do have such security, (where security is needed to prevent accidental or miscreant usage), because apps with that kind of security tend to be much better built and a lot more secure than their alternatives. 

Can get quite costly though if you've a lot of apps to replace, so the security software option might be more appropriate for you. 

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 3 of 6
by: ytokyo
on: 09/07/2018 | 13:11
@k89bpa i need for my gmail
i can't uninstall that
and i've never come accross an email app that is better
or actually... i havent tried another mail app Smiley Happy
what would u recommend?
Message 4 of 6
by: k89bpa
on: 09/07/2018 | 13:21
For use with Gmail I'd recommend Aquamail @ytokyo https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kman.AquaMail

The only caveat I'd say is that the developers keep trying to break it, so you might want to download an older version from apkmirror, (I personally use 1.14 - as things stand there are no security issues using older versions, the changes are just aesthetic).

For easier management of Gmails's funky IMAP implementation I've set up my accounts as per this post https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Tips-Guides/Gmail-amp-IMAP-Easiest-Maintenance/m-p/22016112 as that stops some weird funkiness with emails sticking around long after I've deleted them, (and prevents having to delete from multiple locations before they really get deleted).
Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
by: kate1028
on: 09/07/2018 | 14:51

If you have an Android phone @ytokyo there are plenty of stand alone app locks in the Play Store.  I used to use one simply called App Lock which worked fine and could be switched on or off any app you like, including G Mail.  Some work either with a code or fingerprint.  Best to look at reviews etc. before choosing though.   The app itself should have a lock on it.

I don't need a separate one now, because my inexpensive Huawei phone came with a very good one built in.  It also came with built in Avast security.  Not bad for the money !

Message 6 of 6