Knowledge Base
Community

Only 90 (short) days left till Brexit...

Started by: zakrs
On: 29/12/2018 | 19:37
Replies: 27

by: andath
on: 30/12/2018 | 11:57

@michaeldunha wrote:

@andath

Two separate statements, what did you misunderstand?
Nobody ever claimed the whole amount would be diverted into the black hole.

The implication is very clear @michaeldunha. The vast majority of people seeing and reading that bus would come to the conclusion that those who produced it were saying, a) The UK sends £350 million a week to the EU, b) that £350 million each week will be spent on the NHS if the UK left the EU. Just as those who designed that slogan intended.

The only people who dispute that are those so blinded by Brexit dogma that they feel the need to continue to defend the indefensible.

Message 21 of 28
by: sarahaxon
on: 30/12/2018 | 12:03
The reason the bus slogan gets so much coverage is that it's one of the few statements the leave campaign made about the positive impacts of Brexit.

Yet people argue that:
It's not meant to mean what it patently infers
It's ambiguous
It didn't have any effect on how people voted.

I'm still waiting for a clear and evidenced based statement of how we will all be better off after Brexit.
Message 22 of 28
by: amg_x
on: 30/12/2018 | 12:37

What will be, will be. No point worrying about it!

Message 23 of 28
by: michaeldunha
on: 30/12/2018 | 12:41
@andath so in conclusion there was no promise to spend this money on the NHS only that we should be funding the NHS rather than Poland, Lithuania Latvia etc... That was the implication which you appear to have missed
Message 24 of 28
by: majorincident
on: 30/12/2018 | 12:50

@michaeldunha wrote:

@andath so in conclusion there was no promise to spend this money on the NHS

Vote Leave was in no position to promise anything since it is not in government.

If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy. David Davis, Conservative MP
Message 25 of 28
by: stellamobile
on: 30/12/2018 | 22:50
Countdown it sure is
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 27 of 28
Highlighted
by: andath
on: 31/12/2018 | 12:03

@michaeldunha wrote:

@andath so in conclusion there was no promise to spend this money on the NHS only that we should be funding the NHS rather than Poland, Lithuania Latvia etc... That was the implication which you appear to have missed

I'm not a betting person @michaeldunha, but I'd wager a fiver that for the vast majority of people, Lithuania or Latvia did not cross their mind when they set eyes on that bus!

The implication - which I did not miss - was that by leaving the EU, £350 million extra each week would be spent on the NHS. That was the intended implication by the leave campaign. And very successful it was too. Inaccurate and misleading, but nevertheless successful.

Message 28 of 28