Knowledge Base
Community

Over 40s Tax

Started by: tooltrader
On: 07/12/2018 | 13:38
Replies: 36

by: 123kingarthur
on: 07/12/2018 | 14:27 edited: 07/12/2018 | 14:30

@tooltrader I agree with you and it is time that the Governments realised that the debt that they are living in is dreadful and they cannot expect them to pay out more.   

Perhaps the Governments  want to look at all overseas payments this Country pays out and stop them.

Message 11 of 37
by: 123kingarthur
on: 07/12/2018 | 14:34 edited: 07/12/2018 | 14:35

@ceecee2110 Good for you The families are having to both work to pay mortgages and rising food prices and to load them with more is just disgusting and I am so sorry for you al

Message 12 of 37
by: andishdi
on: 07/12/2018 | 14:53

@andath wrote:

Did anybody read this properly and then give it some thought before taking to their keyboard with steam coming out of their ears?

Firstly, it's a proposal, based on consultations, into the problems of paying for social care. We all know this is an issue and the government is doing its job and doing the research. So far so good.

Secondly, it starts from the premise that most people (only the very poorest get it totally for free) pay for any social care they may need as they get older. This system is inconsistent, is seen as unfair and causes hardship for many. So the suggestion is nobody pays when they need the care but all pay an extra tax after the age of 40 to cover these costs. We're not paying extra, just being charged differently. The same principal as health care in this country in fact. 

Certainly worth consideration.

No no NO!!! Just completely wrong

A few exerts from the article...

“Retired people should also be made to pay it if they have lucrative pensions or investments”

“… it could be topped up by an extra levy on inheritance tax on the wealthiest estates.”

They are saying that those who saved to invest or pay into a pension are to be punished for planning for their future. Also that people who’ve paid tax their entire lives will have what they leave to their loved ones taxed even more than it already is…

How dare you tell us we’ve not read it properly and try to justify this disgusting tax on those who already pay for the majority of care provided but are now being told that they should be paying more!

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 13 of 37
by: tooltrader
on: 07/12/2018 | 15:01
I've spent my whole life spending and not particulary saving,quite funny that family and friends frowned and said I'll have no pension.
Just as well really as now the over 40s will have to pay for me when I get there.
Also,a bad idea as people will not save(thats the banks crippled)and excess will sit as cash or leave the country altoghether.
If this gets the go ahead I will work just pure cash and I'd imagine many others will take that road.
Message 14 of 37
Highlighted
by: andath
on: 07/12/2018 | 15:18

Those who have saved and planned for their retirement pay for their own social care now because they are the ones with savings. This suggestion (and that is all that it is) means anything you save does not now need to be used to pay for your social care. Everybody will have their social care needs paid for by the State because of an added tax everyone pays post 40.

I'm struggling to understand the objection. This is how we fund health care. Why not social care also?

You pick out a few quotes from the article @andishdi, which have little meaning on their own. I'll say again, the proposal is about contributing to social care differently, not about "being told that they should pay more".

Message 15 of 37
by: slarti
on: 07/12/2018 | 16:34

@tooltrader wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-44621047

Youve gotta be kidding,higher tax bracket and this,thanks a bunch.

That story is from back in June and they were told by those who want to retain their seats at the next general election where to stick the idea.

Of course they could always reverse the cuts in real tax rates for the rich that they brought in during the last government. and the one before. That would just about cover things.

Message 16 of 37
by: tooltrader
on: 07/12/2018 | 16:41
Why should the rich pay more tax?
Message 17 of 37
by: tradertall
on: 07/12/2018 | 16:47

@mrbond007 wrote:

Another vote winner 

Guess we have to pay for the UN migration pact some how 

what does a UN migration pact have to do with old age care in the UK?

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 18 of 37
by: andyslc
on: 07/12/2018 | 16:49

@jms0 wrote:

@c_lockett wrote:

Disgusting. So now they've decided to tax us for getting old.

And quite right to.

How about removing the right to vote from the over 40's - they are all senile old bigots anyway.  And having them put out of their misery as soon as they cease to be useful productive tax payers.  Think of the savings!

I ll go and chuck myself under a bus now then shall I? I must really **bleep** you off being over 40 and not being a useful productive taxpayer from the age of 38. Still one less remoaner to worry about, Smiley Wink

@tooltrader This just seems wrong to me...no. Scratch that. It is wrong. 

Veni vidi dormivi
Message 19 of 37
by: tradertall
on: 07/12/2018 | 16:54

Funny how old people here did not find it "disgusting" when their politicians tripled the cost of going to uni for young people.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 20 of 37