Knowledge Base
Community

Parliament pro-Brexit agitator arrested

Started by: majorincident
On: 12/01/2019 | 16:36
Replies: 24

by: majorincident
on: 12/01/2019 | 19:18

Harassment and threatening behaviour are not trivial matters.  You will recall that I referred to s4A Public Order Act 1986 in a linked thread.  Goddard and his band of 'neon Nazis' have actually surrounded Anna Soubry and blocked her path, all the while shouting into her face.  As I have said, protest is our right, but threatening behaviour is something else entirely and can be dealt with under the law.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves.
Message 11 of 25
by: andath
on: 12/01/2019 | 19:27

I agree @andyslc, it's hard to see what law was broken with the chanting. There appeared to be some jostling and intimidation as Soubry walked towards Parliament, I wondered if that was the offence? I couldn't believe at this point that the police did not make their presence felt more and attempt to support her. But then again, why wasn't this dealt with at the time?

It will be interested to find out as the story unfolds.

Message 12 of 25
by: andath
on: 12/01/2019 | 19:32

I agree @majorincident. I would have felt threatened in Soubry's shoes which is why I feel the police around the incident should've intervened more. Threatening behaviour may well be the charge.

Message 13 of 25
by: andyslc
on: 12/01/2019 | 19:38

@majorincident The surrounding of Soubry as she walked outside Parliament I can understand, and that did allegedly also happen on Monday before the other incident. If it’s just the incident recorded on tv in the interview I just don’t see it myself. At the maximum it’s a s5 not a s4 and the police should have moved them on first if that was the case.

There is another possibility and that is that he threatened a war (every Saturday) which could be used against him as a reason for arrest as this could be used to demonstrate an intent to cause public disorder. 

@nefarius I had to chuckle at the “the whole country is with you, James”. Clearly not. 

Veni vidi dormivi
Message 14 of 25
by: andyslc
on: 12/01/2019 | 20:26

The other thing about that video @nefarius, or rather what was said, do you think those calling the police the “gestapo” actually have any concept of what the gestapo was actually like? I wonder if the police will be passing details to DWP like they did with the disabled people protesting about fracking oop north,

Veni vidi dormivi
Message 15 of 25
by: standardbearer
on: 12/01/2019 | 22:26
Personally I don't like Soubry, I think she is very pompous and talks over people in debate not allowing them to finish their point.
However I thought she was very dignified and brave on how she handled the situation.
It was very thuggish to be in her face like that.
But surely there is more to the public order offence than what appears to be on offer.
Otherwise as has been said why was he not arrested at the time of the offence.
Or is it retrospective thinking by the Police because an mp was involved.
I wonder if all that was said, if it had not been in her face but at a distance would still be considered to be a crime.
If so the law would be very selective, its not as if shouted remarks by all political persuasions have not happened before, in particular the far left.
Fortune Favours The Brave S.P.Q.R
Message 16 of 25
Highlighted
by: jms0
on: 12/01/2019 | 23:09

If, as the video suggests he was on his way to hand himself in, making the arrest in public might be to send a message to the angry mob and remind them that their words have consequences.

A custodial sentence will reinforce the message, even if it is inevitably overturned on appeal.

You're the boss so check out Giffgaff's financial statements
Message 17 of 25
by: mahooli
on: 13/01/2019 | 07:50

For far too long people have not had to deal with any consequences to their actions which has meant they have become more brazen and increasingly more aggressive and violent (verbally and physically) because they know nothing is going to be done. So I applaud this, it just needs to be applied more consistently to get the message across.

Message 18 of 25
by: tradertall
on: 13/01/2019 | 09:01
"agitator" is a kind word for a far right thug
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 19 of 25
by: jsmith2009
on: 13/01/2019 | 09:42

People do daft things when tension is high.

Still it's okay to burn the Union Jack in protest without any fear from the UK law.

Message 20 of 25