Knowledge Base
Community

Portable Power Charger

Started by: dani
On: 12/05/2015 | 22:36
Replies: 3

by: dani
on: 12/05/2015 | 22:36
I know its a slightly different posting but recently got a Portable Power Charger for use with phone, tablet, camera.
The Charger has 3 usb slots for slightly different amps etc but good old google cant seen to point me to a list of ideal charging amps etc for a range of devices via usb. Anyone know a web page that may be able to advise. Battery manufacturer offers no clarity. I know clever and responsive folks on here. If google cant then GG can! 😃
Message 1 of 4
by: robpoole01
on: 12/05/2015 | 22:38

@dani let us know if you find out anything - working by trial and error for my nexus 5 at the moment

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 4
by: immaginarte
on: 12/05/2015 | 22:47
Have tried Amazon or eBay?
Message 3 of 4
by: revjonty
on: 13/05/2015 | 01:06 edited: 13/05/2015 | 01:09

The thing you need to know, is that the device should charge ok regardless of the amps (within reason), so long as the voltage is correct.
The caveat is that if you use to high an ampage, then you could reduce the battery life in the long run, to low ampage, and it will either take forever to charge up, or even could burn out the power supply.
If you look at the original charger for the device it will usually state the voltage, and ampage.
Another rule of thumb, is the higher the amp hour rating of the battery, the higher ampage that will be safe to use to charge it. E.G. A car battery would be around 60 amp hour, and a typical car battery charger might be 4 amp (upto maybe 10 amp for a rapid charger), phone's battery is likely to be 1.2 amp hour, (or 1200mah), and the charger might be 0.4 amp (or 400ma), so would take 3 hours to fully charge the phone from empty (actually longer due to increased resistance as the battery gets more charge in it, but it all gets a bit complex if you go into that).
A typical computer usb port is 5 volt 0.5 amp btw, so is close enough to most phones requirements to work.

Sorry that was supposed to be a quick simple bit of advise, but went on longer, and is probably less clear than I intended.

Order a sim from here & get a bonus £5 credit upon activation

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 4