Knowledge Base
Community

Price of new phones.... (rant alert)

Started by: djandymyers
On: 03/10/2016 | 08:50
Replies: 20

by: djandymyers
on: 03/10/2016 | 08:50

I have to get this off my chest and in more than the usual number of characters available on Twitter....

WHAT THE HELL is going on with the price of sim free mobile phones? I mean, seriously now... over £700 for a brand new iPhone 7 now and nearly £600 for a Galaxy S7 (pointless) Edge!! 

For the life of me I just can't seem to understand why the hell anyone in their sane little minds would EVER bring themselves to pay that much for a phone, even when paying monthly for it. It's ridiculous!

Think about it logically... you can buy yourself a laptop nowadays for £300 that could practically cook your tea for you as well as assist you with your work and emails, with a larger screen and a nice keyboard that doesn't think you mean to type the word hat every time you want to say the word not! 

I just think the greed of mobile phone manufacturers is remarkable, considering there's so much commonality between the newer models at the top end of the market! I'm incredulous about it.

I don't currently wish to swap out my Nexus 5X as it does exactly what i want it to do, but even if I wanted a newer phone, I'm not sure paying £600-700 would give me much in the way of a difference to what I currently have and paid £350 for 12 months ago. 

Just like my issue with the ridiculous price of landline line rental (which is a pandemic waiting to explode too BTW) greed is causing us, the consumers, to have to pay obscene amounts of money for very little benefit of difference from things that cost a fraction of the price. 

Unless we take a stand and begin to figh back at these companies by refusing to pay these riduculous prices, we'll soon be paying £1000 for an iPhone that is quite frankly made of chocolate and isn't worth a fraction of that. 

Fin. 

If you think my advice is helpful, I'd very much appreciate a Kudos click.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 1 of 21
by: gvmhb
on: 03/10/2016 | 09:02
I agree with you, but as long as people will pay it then the big companies will keep upping the price. There are just so many mugs around with more money than sense Smiley Wink
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 21
by: navi51
on: 03/10/2016 | 09:08
Just stop buying high end phones. My Moto g3 does everything a phone needs to do.

Some Chinese employers are now banning their worker's from buying iPhone and S7 on threat of dismissal due to them costing 3 months wages or more.

Why would anybody sell a kidney for an iPhone ? The mind boggles.
To giff is better than to gaff

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 21
by: ncc74656
on: 03/10/2016 | 09:10
So when are you getting a new phone then?
Free the giffgaff one!
Message 4 of 21
by: majorincident
Buying an expensive phone, especially on contract is madness and the latest iPhone will cost you over a £1,000 by the time you get to the end of a 24 month contract on most networks.

For £600 to £700, you can get a little roundabout car that will at least keep you dry in the rain if it's not a complete rust bucket. For many people, owning an expensive product defines who they are, which is a sad reflection of society as a whole.

Incidentally, your Nexus 5X cost £200 more than my new Honor 5C, so you could bring the cost of a new phone down significantly.
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves.
Message 5 of 21
by: djandymyers
I agree. People see these new phones as a status symbol too which is just crazy. There's hardly any difference from one model to the next, and as such, you're paying an outrageous sum of money for what... a slightly better camera and a faster processor of which you'll not really see or feel the benefit of when compared to a previous model phone?
It's crazy! That's why I had my Nexus 5 for over 2 years before it had a power issue and I had to then buy my Nexus 5X. Until this pops I won't even consider a new phone, especially at these astronomical prices! They're just not worth that much!
If you think my advice is helpful, I'd very much appreciate a Kudos click.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 21
by: bantonm
on: 03/10/2016 | 09:14

My elephone p8000 - 8 core 3GB only needs a better camera but it's not bad at all.

Cost £107.99 - runs neck and neck with a samsung S5 on paper, is flawless. Has raving reviews.

So to all you would be £700+ phone buyers... Would you like £600 ? Do with it as you please:

1. Spend it on your loved ones
  2. Give amongst charities
  3. Spend it on yourself for things you need
  4. Throw it down the drain

Figure this puzzle out and it's yours. Every single one of you.

£600 free !!!!

Get your GiffGaff sim - Click HERE
Please remember to give kudos and best answers.
Message 7 of 21
by: phlb1243
on: 03/10/2016 | 09:14
I remember a time when if u paid over the odds for something just for the sake of it, u ended up with no friends lol
Phones are crap, generally. They're built with a lifespan In mind, I reckon a new phone lasts tops, 18mnths ffs! I wouldn't spend any significant amount of money on this crap. Besides aren't these new phones(note7 ip7) blowing up and frying themselves???? 700quid to blow my face into bits..maybe lol
Message 8 of 21
by: fruitcake1
on: 03/10/2016 | 09:16

Totally agree but if you wish to lower the specification just a tiny amount you can get really fast good looking phones handsets for under £150.00 the Wileyfox range is a great example starting at just over £80.

Message 9 of 21
by: phlb1243
on: 03/10/2016 | 09:17
Gimme money lol, no, like really
Message 10 of 21