Knowledge Base
Community

Protect Your Well-being — Abandon Potatoes And Tech!

Started by: magspider
On: 22/01/2019 | 00:42
Replies: 4

by: magspider
on: 22/01/2019 | 00:42

A new meta-study and essay has revealed the extent to which researchers torture data to give the outcomes they are looking for, a kind of academically-approved confirmation bias.

In the case of youth wellbeing, the boogeyman of 'screen time' has been particularly examined. A massive study with trillions of data points has been the basis for many reports that screens lead to poor mental health.

Unfortunately, while technically correct, because these results are painstakingly extracted from massive data sets they are actually statistically insignificant. Or to put it another way, the impact on mental well-being that can be attributed to using screens is equivalent to the amount that can be attributed to eating potatoes.

Dive deeper into this rabbit hole here:

https://www.wired.com/story/screens-might-be-as-bad-for-mental-health-as-potatoes/

[ No spiders were harmed in the making of this post ]

Join giffgaff, get £5 free bonus credit
Message 1 of 5
Highlighted
by: k89bpa
on: 22/01/2019 | 01:42
I couldn't agree more with the conclusions of that article. It's more about "how" rather than the "how much", but we already knew that didn't we?
Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
For the meaning behind the codes in my posts search the code GGK-0228-2309
Message 2 of 5
by: nefarius
on: 22/01/2019 | 03:59

Whilst I was sectioned, under the mental health act, I used my mobile phone as therapy. I interacted with the outside world. 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 5
by: orlf
on: 25/01/2019 | 03:17

Does this mean I need to choose between eating chips or using an iPad?

I'm Orlf. It's a Norwegian name.
Message 4 of 5
by: magspider
on: 27/01/2019 | 22:04

@orlf wrote:

Does this mean I need to choose between eating chips or using an iPad?

Yes.

[ No spiders were harmed in the making of this post ]

Join giffgaff, get £5 free bonus credit
Message 5 of 5