On: 14/08/2019 | 11:59
Replies: 24

by: nerrin
on: 14/08/2019 | 16:45

Re-nationalisation 

Message 11 of 25
by: grayme45
on: 14/08/2019 | 16:56

It's already too expensive but most people have no choice but to suffer it. To be fair my railine service isn't too bad. There's usually a few hideous delays each year but often they are caused by jumpers so not really the network's fault. But a 2.8% increase certainly hurts at the start of each year, just to add to the general post christmas blues!

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 12 of 25
by: charlibear1
on: 14/08/2019 | 17:43

Rail fares keep rising and rail services keep declining... 😠

Message 13 of 25
by: basil1921
on: 14/08/2019 | 18:21
Yes, three things we can now be certain of: death, taxes, and rail fare increases.
Message 14 of 25
by: tinkev
on: 14/08/2019 | 19:45

Everyone needs to boycott the railways ,use public or private transport for a while, witha bit of luck after-a while the rail services may go back and reconsider all these price hikes....... dont use them show them we are not going to let them get away with it again, may be a bit difficult to boycott and will cause some inconveniance but its the only to get back at them ...... if we continue to accept these price rises for a poor inadequate service then they will carry on doing it.

Message 15 of 25
Highlighted
by: nefarius
on: 14/08/2019 | 21:45 edited: 14/08/2019 | 21:46

@andishdiwrote:

"Wage growth rose to 3.9%, while the estimated 76.1% employment rate was the best since comparative records began." (as of June 2019)

UK wage growth picks up to 11-year high

Workers are still ahead then...

I thought Europeans had taken all the jobs and the UK was suffering under the tyranny of the EU? Doesn't look like it. 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 16 of 25
by: andyslc
on: 14/08/2019 | 22:01

@andishdiwrote:

"Wage growth rose to 3.9%, while the estimated 76.1% employment rate was the best since comparative records began." (as of June 2019)

UK wage growth picks up to 11-year high

Workers are still ahead then...

Not really because average wages are still below 2008 levels whilst the CPI/RPI has continued to rise. Workers are still worse off than they were 11 years ago.

Veni vidi dormivi
Message 17 of 25
by: bobbg
on: 14/08/2019 | 22:35

It's a taste of the future!

Legs...for short trips

Bicycles...for longer

Electric transport ...extended (if you can afford or find a plug )

Wind power.....Greta Thunburg is trying it out at the mo across the Atlantic ? Hmm!

Message 18 of 25
by: sheilamm
on: 14/08/2019 | 22:35

What's new hey ho

Message 19 of 25
by: caro120
on: 14/08/2019 | 23:33

@tinkevwrote:

Everyone needs to boycott the railways ,use public or private transport for a while, witha bit of luck after-a while the rail services may go back and reconsider all these price hikes....... dont use them show them we are not going to let them get away with it again, may be a bit difficult to boycott and will cause some inconveniance but its the only to get back at them ...... if we continue to accept these price rises for a poor inadequate service then they will carry on doing it.

Definitely write in and complain if get a problem.  I had a voucher for free travel, think train was delayed but never did get round to using it.  Was virgin rail and they seemed pretty decent, comfy seats and aircon that works.  Southern rail been very stuffy/ hot/ cold at times.  Unhealthy.

Shocking that people pay and don't even get a seat, have to sit on floor to get to work - safety aspect too if people standing.  Spose if you hurt your back or neck being thrown around then could put in a claim?

Only way to prove not had a seat though would be if scanned a ticket to get on train or had designated journey, the latter bit inflexible though.

I think with lack of seating is a journey unfit for purpose, you shouldn't have to sit in dirt with smart clothes on.

And the neglect of stations is shocking, lovely old paling on roofs left to rot and I don't like walking under suspended things in case the fixings rusting thru.  

Our local one they did replace steps and also installed barriers after years of delay but now for various reasons often have them open so defeating the object of the investment.  Seen people climbing over fence to get out so don't have to pay and they looked quite practised at it!  Staff saw them but afraid to confront in case turn nasty.

Nearest one has cess pit rather than loos plumbed into sewer system (why?) so sometimes they are shut cos need to be emptied.  Recently loos and lifts out of order at one station - not sure how disabled people are meant to manage...

Staff are usually very efficient and pleasant though, they try to keep it all going.  

Another aspect is trains don't fit station, sometimes you got a steep drop to get off train, that is dangerous for kids, people with pushchairs or cycles and people like me with short leggiesSmiley Happy

I should think most people that can do avoid using trains if had bad experiences.  We need more car share?  Don't think buses much better, get caught up in traffic and often boneshakers.

Main thing is to email complaint in, it must go on stats somewhere.. up to minister of transport to sort out I should think - they award contracts and if they under-performing then need to take action.

Message 20 of 25