Roads made out of solar panels!!

Started by: mattsmith100
On: 22/04/2014 | 17:27
Replies: 21

Highlighted
by: mattsmith100
on: 22/04/2014 | 17:27

Hey guys! Smiley Very Happy

Not many people have heard of this, but I think it could be one of the most important inventions in recent history!

http://www.solarroadways.com/

Their aim is to turn roads into solar panels, meaning that we wouldn't have to use fossil fuels ever again! They claim that a whole town or city with roads of solar panels could power the entire town or city!

Also

• they have LEDs in them so there's no need to paint on them. The arrangements of 5 colours of lights can be changed at the touch of a button, to show things like car parking spaces or lines in the middle of the road, or write words such as "danger ahead". This is better than paint, as streetlights won't be needed because the roads will light up.
  • the surface is super grippy glass, so the solar panels work and they're just as grippy as asphalt, even in the wet!
  • they have heating elements in them, so they will never freeze over, and snow will melt and run off them.
  • they can have pressure sensors on the side of the road, so if a child or a wild animal walked onto the road, then the LEDs could automatically display warning lights and words to slow down.
  • they have a "cable corridor" underneath them, meaning ugly overhead cables could be stored under the roads instead, with easy access for maintenance people. Some cables can be made "leaky", so they can emit phone signals and wifi, so no more mobile phone masts! Everything can go down these cables, electricity, broadband, phone lines, etc.
  • they can charge electic vehicles in laybys, just park up and it'll start charging your car for you. They're also trying to figure out how to continually power the car as you're going along, but that's a bit more difficult.

The big aim is to have the entire world's roads covered in solar panels, so the side that is in night will be powered by the side that is in day.

So far they've created a prototype car park, which is brilliant!

Yesterday they launched a crownfunding programme to be able to raise the money to start mass producing the product, and potentially solve the world's energy crisis, and maybe even global warming!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/solar-roadways

I think it's a fantastic idea, and I don't know why it's not been thought of sooner!

I've donated, have you? Smiley Happy

Don't forget to set this as "best answer" if this has helped! Get a free sim with £5 free credit by clicking below (no free credit if you order a sim direct from giffgaff!)
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 1 of 22
by: finaltrinity
on: 22/04/2014 | 17:42
That's incredible!!! If this is actually able to work this could be a real game changer.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 22
by: natasha_smith
on: 22/04/2014 | 17:44
Wow just incredible Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 22
by: thepresident
on: 22/04/2014 | 17:50

If that works it would be fantastic 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 22
by: govgaff
on: 22/04/2014 | 17:54
I can literally picture the future with these roads, very good idea indeed!
In England, we have such good manners that if someone says something impolite, the police will get involved.
Message 5 of 22
by: zedbibi93
on: 22/04/2014 | 18:39
Sounds like a great idea! I would love to see these roads live Smiley Wink
Message 6 of 22
on: 22/04/2014 | 18:40

@finaltrinity @thepresident yup they really do work! They energy capture is an even better rate that they first guessed, meaning the solar panels work brilliantly. (I think they said this is due to the ripples on the glass creating refraction and getting even more sunlight to the panels, woo science!)

There's a video on their website of some kids jumping on one of the panels and the prototype flashing "SLOW DOWN". Pretty amazing really!

And here's photo evidence of the heating working. The bottom ones are turned off, and the top ones turned on! Just wow! Smiley Happy

10153832_10151915243357126_1354448078_n.jpg

Don't forget to set this as "best answer" if this has helped! Get a free sim with £5 free credit by clicking below (no free credit if you order a sim direct from giffgaff!)
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 22
by: kestrelv2
on: 22/04/2014 | 18:49
BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BUUUULLS**T

I lost it when i read they also have heating elements in them to melt snow ha well then they would end up using more electricity than they produce. Does anyone even know how much energy the average heating element actually uses....alot. But also charge cars, run infinite lights because they replaced paint. Get real sounds like a late april fools joke.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 22
on: 22/04/2014 | 18:58 edited: 22/04/2014 | 19:00

kestrelv2 wrote:

I lost it when i read they also have heating elements in them to melt snow ha well then they would end up using more electricity than they produce. Does anyone even know how much energy the average heating element actually uses....alot. But also charge cars, run infinite lights because they replaced paint. Get real sounds like a late april fools joke.

@kestrelv2 

Nooo it's not an april fools joke, it's real! Smiley Tongue it's on facebook, it must be real Smiley Wink https://www.facebook.com/pages/Solar-Roadways/41869107125?fref=ts

Plus they've had grants from america's highway agency, and they've been on american news, it really is real!

Usually things like this are too good to be true, but this is one of the exceptions! Look into it and you'll see how amazing and real it is!!

Edit: plus I've been following them and their developments for months, they'd have to be a bit of a dedicated fooler to pull off a joke for that long Smiley Wink

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 22
by: kestrelv2
on: 22/04/2014 | 19:20

mattsmith100 wrote:

kestrelv2 wrote:

@kestrelv2 

Nooo it's not an april fools joke, it's real! Smiley Tongue it's on facebook, it must be real Smiley Wink https://www.facebook.com/pages/Solar-Roadways/41869107125?fref=ts

Plus they've had grants from america's highway agency, and they've been on american news, it really is real!

Usually things like this are too good to be true, but this is one of the exceptions! Look into it and you'll see how amazing and real it is!!

Edit: plus I've been following them and their developments for months, they'd have to be a bit of a dedicated fooler to pull off a joke for that long Smiley Wink

Okay what roads are they on?

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 22