Knowledge Base
Community

Ryanair's £17.2m loss

Started by: majorincident
On: 04/02/2019 | 08:00
Replies: 14

by: majorincident
on: 04/02/2019 | 08:00

The airline made a loss in the last quarter despite a rise in passenger numbers.

If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy. David Davis, Conservative MP
Message 1 of 15
by: techiebloke
on: 04/02/2019 | 08:10 edited: 04/02/2019 | 08:12

Karma in action paying back Michael O'Leary for his contempt for his staff and passengers for so many years?

I don't wish the guy any personal harm but glad to see he's finally experiencing a bit of pain in the wallet.

I flew return -Luton-Dublin some years back, not an experience I want to repeat ever.

"Get your free SIM with £5 credit"

Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind
Message 2 of 15
by: andishdi
on: 04/02/2019 | 08:10

You can see why... I've flown with them for £19.99, it's ridiculously cheap and not even the cheapest they sell!

Surely £9.99 flights are just not necessary... £20-30 is still dirt cheap so shouldn't deter passengers and they'd double/triple their money.

I don't accept the poor service / horrible planes / trying to rip of customers with charges etc... I accept it's a world apart from Emirates and that for some the luggage charges and their way of doing business is awkward but for me and many others it's given us more consideration for what we take away with us, saving us weight (so less CO2) and time at the other end. It's allowed us to see more places for less money and that can't be a bad thing...

There are other choices and I encourage people to explore what's right for them but for me I think it fits a perfect gap in the market for a no-frills service.

Now cue the Ryanair bashing by people who don't understand any of the above...

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 15
on: 04/02/2019 | 08:22 edited: 04/02/2019 | 09:27

The low cost business model gets bums on seats, but it's not a guarantee of profits.  In the case of Ryanair, wage disputes and fuel cost have been contributory factors.

If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy. David Davis, Conservative MP
Message 4 of 15
by: bobsta
on: 04/02/2019 | 11:03

People are very quick to criticize Ryanair but they must be doing something right if passenger numbers have been on the rise. I've flown with them twice and I really couldn't complain about them for short haul flights but there are some things I don't like about them. Their selection of airport destinations across Europe makes travelling to your final destination more time consuming and expensive. If you want to add luggage, priority board, reserved seating, Ryanair aren't cheaper when compared to other airlines. One example was when we flew to Dublin with Aer Lingus - full luggage, reserved seating and priority boarding for £130 - Ryanair came in at £230. We recently booked flights to Gdansk for £280 whilst Ryanair wanted £390. I did contact them about this and didn't get a response. Ryanair can't be beaten if you take just yourself on a flight with one piece of cabin luggage but once you want the 'extras' they aren't competitive enough. 

Message 5 of 15
by: bluenose5
on: 04/02/2019 | 11:41

Good News nice to see there doing Well 

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 15
by: andishdi
on: 04/02/2019 | 11:52

@bobsta - it's changed my mentality massively about what is "essential".

What's interesting is that other airlines are following suit - we visited Canada over Xmas flying Virgin Atlantic and booked the cheapest fare we could which meant only carry on and the bare essentials. We were amazed at how much you can actually fit in a little case and we still managed to take things that we didn't use/wear even though it was flipping freezing! Had hold luggage been free then we'd have taken it... That would've meant having to wait for them at the carousel, lug them in and out of every hotel and inevitably buy loads of stuff to fill them up even more on the flight home... We saved money and time, two things most people complain are in short supply.

If you asked someone if they minded queuing a bit longer to get on the plane and taking a few less choices of clothing and the result was another night's holiday, or an all-expenses paid night out then they'd jump at it... People just don't see things that way and prefer to focus on the negative.

Like I said, they're not for everyone but I wish people were a bit more understanding and pragmatic because Ryanair have changed minds for customers and other companies and just because what they offer doesn't suit everyone it doesn't mean they should be written off.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 15
on: 04/02/2019 | 12:06

Agree with you @andishdi on packing.  I went to New York for a week last August and got everything I needed into a

71HTq6jax0L._UX679_

36 litre case that went into the overhead locker.  Consequently, there was no waiting for the baggage carousel and as I flew via Dublin, I didn't have to go through immigration at JFK. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 15
by: shubberdog
on: 04/02/2019 | 12:16

I'm not surprised, I wouldn't fly with them but I would recommend EasyJet 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 15
by: basil1921
on: 04/02/2019 | 14:45
'I don't wish the guy any personal harm but glad to see he's finally experiencing a bit of pain in the wallet.'

Is he though? I'm sure he continues to pay himself well. The beauty of the 'limited company' is that you can make a loss, leave your workers and suppliers unpaid, and then walk off unscathed and start another company.
Message 10 of 15