Knowledge Base
Community

Santander to shut 140 UK branches

Started by: tradertall
On: 23/01/2019 | 12:09
Replies: 25
Reply

by: slarti
on: 23/01/2019 | 16:58

@pete2009 wrote:

Maybe we should have our own British bank and then it would not matter that another foreign company is leaving / closing.

 

We did, but the shareholders sold it to Santander, when it was still called Abbey, and Santander rebranded it.

Message 11 of 26
by: neil40
on: 23/01/2019 | 17:08

They are closing the one I sometimes use in Aberdeen.A bit of a pain as the only one left here is inconvenient to get to as there is no parking nearby.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 12 of 26
by: majorincident
on: 23/01/2019 | 17:38

Not closing my local branch - I only have £10 in my account.  I note two City of London locations are going.  One is a big branch whilst the nearby location is smaller.  The Leather Lane location has a lot of passing traffic, so this seems like a perverse decision.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves.
Message 13 of 26
by: timwilliams25
on: 23/01/2019 | 17:42

It amazes me when bank workers try and get you to use the automated machines... doing themselves out of a job.

CLICK HERE to get a free £5 credit with this giffgaff Sim order. We all like something for free!
Message 14 of 26
by: majorincident
on: 23/01/2019 | 17:47

This is managed 'obsolescence'.  Banks and building societies have encouraged customers to go online so that they can then say we are no longer getting the numbers in branch.  It then becomes a lost maker and hey presto, shut the branch.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves.
Message 15 of 26
by: nefarius
on: 23/01/2019 | 17:50

@majorincident wrote:

This is managed 'obsolescence'.  Banks and building societies have encouraged customers to go online so that they can then say we are no longer getting the numbers in branch.  It then becomes a lost maker and hey presto, shut the branch.

Welcome to the "Brave New World" with Internet. 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 16 of 26
by: kate1028
on: 23/01/2019 | 17:50

Shame about the employees, but it seems not many use banks these days.   I've had a Santander account for 4 years, and we have a local Branch which I don't think is closing, but I haven't been in it for 3 years.  Use the ATM about once every 3-4 months.   Before that, I had a Lloyds account, and went for six years without going into the Bank.   I just do it all on line, and don't even use much cash.   I suppose it's all the fault of folks like me ! Smiley Sad

Message 17 of 26
by: nefarius
on: 23/01/2019 | 17:53

@kate1028 wrote:

Shame about the employees, but it seems not many use banks these days.   I've had a Santander account for 4 years, and we have a local Branch which I don't think is closing, but I haven't been in it for 3 years.  Use the ATM about once every 3-4 months.   Before that, I had a Lloyds account, and went for six years without going into the Bank.   I just do it all on line, and don't even use much cash.   I suppose it's all the fault of folks like me 👈

Spot on @kate1028  👆👍 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 18 of 26
by: robasto
on: 23/01/2019 | 18:01
I guess branches are of decreasing relevance. You can even pay cheques in online now, so most peoples only reason to visit a bank is to pay in cash (and that would be businesses mainly)
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 19 of 26
by: techiebloke
on: 23/01/2019 | 20:09

@slarti wrote:

@pete2009 wrote:

Maybe we should have our own British bank and then it would not matter that another foreign company is leaving / closing.

 

We did, but the shareholders sold it to Santander, when it was still called Abbey, and Santander rebranded it.

@slarti

 

And don't forget TSB who were bought by Banco Sabadell who trashed it with their software and now want to sell up.

 

Still we have Lloyds, Metro Bank,  Barclays, RBS, HSBC (though I do reckon it's a matter of time before reverse their decision to keep their main HQ in London and run everything from their HQ in Hong Kong as they say they make most of their money in Asia anyway)

 

 

"Get your free SIM with £5 credit"

Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind
Message 20 of 26