Replies: 32

by: standardbearer
on: 22/01/2019 | 07:53
A lot of sense .
Fortune Favours The Brave S.P.Q.R
Message 11 of 33
by: nefarius
on: 22/01/2019 | 08:13

So you think gay people are lucky in the UK. Lucky to be treated as equals to heterosexuals? 

That's how it comes across to me. @standardbearer

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 12 of 33
by: andyslc
on: 22/01/2019 | 08:14

@nefarius wrote:

I don't think gay people in the UK are "lucky". Not a well chosen statement. 

Perhaps lucky isn’t the best word to use, It took decades of campaigning and we shouldn’t forget that up until 1967 you could be locked up for life for being a gay man in the U.K. I agree with the sentiment though. I used the word “fortunate” which I guess is the same. For many of us we are fortunate or even lucky because we have no choice over our place of birth, sexuality, colour or any other number of things that could adversely affect how we may be treated. Much of the hard work done for equality and justice (of which there is still a need for more) has been done long before many of us were but twinkles in our parents eyes.

We just need to remember that, for those of us lucky or fortunate (or whichever word you choose) to be born into more equal and tolerant times that those rights we enjoy came at a cost and from much hard work and sacrifice.

Veni vidi dormivi
Message 13 of 33
on: 22/01/2019 | 08:20

@nefarius wrote:

So you think gay people are lucky in the UK. Lucky to be treated as equals to heterosexuals? 

No you decided to assume what I say.

I said people who run this Country down dont know how lucky they are.

That includes all of us.

Message 14 of 33
on: 22/01/2019 | 08:27

My mistake. I don't know anyone who runs the country down. @standardbearer

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 15 of 33
on: 22/01/2019 | 08:28
Oh come on @nefarius
Threads galore.
Message 16 of 33
on: 22/01/2019 | 08:35

The 1967 reform applied to only England and Wales, not being extended to Scotland until 1980 and to Northern Ireland until 1982. It did not include the armed forces or merchant navy, where sex between men remained a criminal offence. Gay military personnel and merchant seamen could still be jailed until 1994, for behaviour that was no longer a crime between gay civilians. @andyslc

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 17 of 33
Highlighted
on: 22/01/2019 | 08:39

@standardbearer wrote:

Oh come on @nefarius
Threads galore.

Not seen it. I've seen politicians critisized. Brexit critisized. Government critisized. But not the UK critisized. Most people who critisize the above do so because they love the UK and are in despair. @standardbearer

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 18 of 33
by: snenklehen
on: 22/01/2019 | 09:14

@standardbearer wrote:

@nefarius wrote:

No you decided to assume what I say.

I said people who run this Country down dont know how lucky they are.

That includes all of us.

Have to agree with @standardbearer on the whole the UK is very tolerant and I feel lucky to be able to be who I want to be without fear

Guilty of thought crimes - If there is hope, it lies in the proles.
Message 19 of 33
on: 22/01/2019 | 09:23
@snenklehen
Well said Citizen
Message 20 of 33