On: 21/01/2019 | 21:31
Replies: 32

by: standardbearer
on: 22/01/2019 | 09:27

@nefarius wrote:

@standardbearer wrote:

Oh come on @nefarius
Threads galore.

Not seen it. I've seen politicians critisized. Brexit critisized. Government critisized. But not the UK critisized. Most people who critisize the above do so because they love the UK and are in despair. @standardbearer

They want to cheer up then and relise how lucky they are living in this Great Country.

Fortune Favours The Brave S.P.Q.R
Message 21 of 33
by: andyslc
on: 22/01/2019 | 09:27

@nefarius Which, whilst unacceptable doesn’t translate to today’s standards. Someone born in ‘95 is old enough to vote and young enough to not be aware of how things were. I’m not saying there aren’t areas to 8mprove and prejudices to overcome, or that campaigning should stop because we ve reached a certain but, compared to other countries our citizens are fortunate to have some of the most tolerant laws and one of the most protective judicial systems in the world. That’s even compared to the US where the recent senate hearings have shown just how political their judiciary choices can become. As a whole, our judiciary is independent from political bias. 

Sometimes I wonder if the limit of the English language leads to misinterpretation. Sometimes it’s difficult to find a word that won’t lead to a misunderstanding or avoids the need for lengthy explanation without trawling through dictionaries and thesauri. That’s not a criticism of anyone. I think it’s a problem with the brevity of social media, not droning on (like I am now) and the limits of our language.

Veni vidi dormivi
Message 22 of 33
by: nefarius
on: 22/01/2019 | 09:30

I don't think UK citizens are fortunate about how things are run. They invented it. @andyslc

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 23 of 33
Highlighted
on: 22/01/2019 | 09:34

@standardbearer wrote:

@nefarius wrote:

@standardbearer wrote:

Oh come on @nefarius
Threads galore.

Not seen it. I've seen politicians critisized. Brexit critisized. Government critisized. But not the UK critisized. Most people who critisize the above do so because they love the UK and are in despair. @standardbearer

They want to cheer up then and relise how lucky they are living in this Great Country.

I'd have to agree a happy pill may be needed but there is plenty to be concerned about at the minute with the Conservatives running the shop. @standardbearer

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 24 of 33
on: 22/01/2019 | 09:35

@nefarius wrote:

@standardbearer wrote:

Oh come on @nefarius
Threads galore.

That is the cornerstone of democracy is it not? The freedom and ability to speak up when you are not happy with something. After all isn’t that what the B word is about?

@standardbearer You had me until your last post. People should cheer up because the U.K. is better than many other countries? Well we were better off than many countries in the EU yet people voted and campaigned quite bitterly to leave and are still doing so at the prospect of remaining (and vice versa). By that measure there d be no objection if we stayed. 

Of course thats not realistic because some believe we would be even better off if we leave. It’s an important democratic concept that, in a free society we strive for better. In terms of our current government many have seen things get worse - low paid workers, the disabled, armed forces, police, Nhs etc. Should they just accept that because we re better than other countries?

We have many things to be grateful for and maybe we don’t hear enough about it - I’m with you on that. But it shouldn’t mean we don’t challenge the things we aren’t happy with.

Veni vidi dormivi
Message 25 of 33
on: 22/01/2019 | 09:45

@nefarius But many didn’t and have inherited it, and the freedom to change it. 

Veni vidi dormivi
Message 26 of 33
on: 22/01/2019 | 09:49

@andyslc wrote:

@nefarius But many didn’t and have inherited it, and the freedom to change it. 

True. It's not gone unnoticed though that some UK residents think the UK has too much freedom Smiley Very Happy

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 27 of 33
on: 22/01/2019 | 09:56

@andyslc wrote:

@nefarius wrote:

@standardbearer wrote:

Oh come on @nefarius
Threads galore.

That is the cornerstone of democracy is it not? The freedom and ability to speak up when you are not happy with something. After all isn’t that what the B word is about?

@standardbearer You had me until your last post. People should cheer up because the U.K. is better than many other countries? Well we were better off than many countries in the EU yet people voted and campaigned quite bitterly to leave and are still doing so at the prospect of remaining (and vice versa). By that measure there d be no objection if we stayed. 

Of course thats not realistic because some believe we would be even better off if we leave. It’s an important democratic concept that, in a free society we strive for better. In terms of our current government many have seen things get worse - low paid workers, the disabled, armed forces, police, Nhs etc. Should they just accept that because we re better than other countries?

We have many things to be grateful for and maybe we don’t hear enough about it - I’m with you on that. But it shouldn’t mean we don’t challenge the things we aren’t happy with.

Andy im all for democracy thats why I say some people keep running this Country down and they want to cheer up.Im having my say in the knowledge there will be no knock on the door. Well not yet.

Things like the Country is finished and the Country is a laughing stock.

Its not the Great Country of ours that is a laughing stock its the people that run it.

Unlike some who are not fair minded, not you i might add, (oh i might get a brownie point),I have no political agenda.  Ill probably vote the monster party the way things are going.

Some parties at the moment, if you dont agree with their agenda your out .A kind of facism not democracy. Dont be a Jew either in the labour party.

Yes a lot of Joe Public are having a hard time 

and no we dont just accept it.

But if your a hard labour voter your always going to think they will be the saviours.

We shall have to wait and see what all of the Citizens think.

Message 28 of 33
on: 22/01/2019 | 10:02

Brownie point awarded @standardbearer (is that allowed?). I agree with what you are saying but again I’d go back to @nefarius s point that most of the complaints running the country down are about the politicians, changes to policies etc. It’s a difficult one though isn’t it? Separating a national identity from politics and other issues. Besides, isn’t part of being British being able to have a good moan about stuff and running things down whilst at the same being content in the knowledge that things actually aren’t as bad as all that (though for some they genuinely are).

Veni vidi dormivi
Message 29 of 33
on: 22/01/2019 | 10:07 edited: 22/01/2019 | 10:10

@andyslc
Your too logical for some.

Edit  You get a brownie point now.

Message 30 of 33