Knowledge Base
Community

Shetland, Welsh mountain, or Dartmoor?

Started by: revjonty
On: 08/01/2019 | 11:30
Replies: 28

by: goonerx2
on: 11/01/2019 | 09:45
Horses are time consuming expensive pets a tractor would suit you far better.
Message 21 of 29
by: eileenusher
on: 11/01/2019 | 09:46
@baconbutty all ways is when it happens to someone else😂
Message 22 of 29
by: masterluke
on: 11/01/2019 | 10:36

@eileenusher wrote:

@masterluke you obviously weren't around the Darlington area when I was a young gal, I quite often tied my horse up while out for a hack to pop into shops for a drink or something to eat, which my Welsh mountain pony called toffee expected me to share with him, if I didn't he'd just sneakily take it anyway. Lol.

@eileenusher Oddly enough no. When I referred to leaving one outside a supermarket I meant it, as in a proper shop leaving it tied up outside for up to 1-2 hours then loading it up, so of some practical use rather than just having it standing in a field. Would you? Not just talking about popping into a shop for a bag of crisps and a coke and back in a couple of minutes that's not the same thing at all.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 23 of 29
by: eileenusher
on: 11/01/2019 | 11:28
@masterluke I know what you meant, I was being funny, I'd love to say I actually haven't tied the horse up gone into supermarket come out with bag of stuff, got back on horse, unfortunately I have there use to be a fine fare (dont exist anymore) near the stables quite often tied horse up, went in came out with bag of stuff, but it was mainly stuff for my lunch etc, as was to lazy to take horse back, then walk back to buy it. Lol.
Message 24 of 29
by: sarahaxon
on: 11/01/2019 | 12:24
When I was small I would occasionally get picked up from primary school by the woman down the road who would arrive on her pony, dump the kids on the back and take us home that way.
Message 25 of 29
by: revjonty
on: 12/01/2019 | 03:51

@andyslc wrote:

Have you considered the Fell Pony? Historically they were used for ploughing by Vikings so as a pro I guess that would also give you the option of going out for a quick pillage now and then. They’re good on rough ground as well so escaping cross country from your pillaging is a viable option. 

Space and food wise their requirements would be much the same as any of the native species. They also don’t need to be geared down. Seriously though, if you go for the Shetland I’d get breakdown cover with that thing as it’s going to get stuck if you try and plough with it and no amount of traction control, gearing or other add ins is going to change that. 

Give me a long enough lever, a solid fulcrum, and an infinite bag of carrots, and I'll move the earth with a Shetland pony @andyslc

Order a sim from here & get a bonus £5 credit upon activation

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 26 of 29
by: gvmhb
on: 12/01/2019 | 07:27

@revjonty wrote:

@andyslc wrote:

Have you considered the Fell Pony? Historically they were used for ploughing by Vikings so as a pro I guess that would also give you the option of going out for a quick pillage now and then. They’re good on rough ground as well so escaping cross country from your pillaging is a viable option. 

Space and food wise their requirements would be much the same as any of the native species. They also don’t need to be geared down. Seriously though, if you go for the Shetland I’d get breakdown cover with that thing as it’s going to get stuck if you try and plough with it and no amount of traction control, gearing or other add ins is going to change that. 

Give me a long enough lever, a solid fulcrum, and an infinite bag of carrots, and I'll move the earth with a Shetland pony @andyslc

It might take a while to plough your field that way @revjonty Smiley Very Happy

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 27 of 29
by: kenralph
on: 12/01/2019 | 08:47

@masterluke wrote:

Nobody commutes to work on a horse.IMG_20160702_125709.jpg

Regular occurrence where I lived, I have a photo of another donkey and cart in a supermarket car park, but that's on my PC..

Message 28 of 29
Highlighted
by: vickyjakesmum
on: 12/01/2019 | 08:58

If you had the money I'd go for a Suffolk Punch, I love that breed. 

Did you see the Martin Clunes doc where he was training up his Clydesdales? Worth a watch if your into horses. 

Percheron seem popular for draft horses. 

Don't forget the Dalmation @revjonty 😉

https://www.giffgaff.com/spread/advertise/signature_02_550x80
Message 29 of 29