Knowledge Base
Community

Should charity advertising be curbed?

Started by: techiebloke
On: 09/12/2018 | 16:12
Replies: 20

by: techiebloke
on: 09/12/2018 | 16:12

I sometimes have the TV on during the day and more often than not it's on a news channel as I can't be doing with the banal daytime TV generally.

The ad breaks seem to be an endless barrage of charity appeals these days (RSPCA, Christian Aid, Shelter, Guide Dogs for the blind etc)

I'm not for one moment criticising the causes, I support a few myself but seeing as we sometimes hear about OAPs ending up with no money to live because they want to support every cause they see I do wonder if it's time to curb things a tad don't you?

"Get your free SIM with £5 credit"

Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind
Message 1 of 21
by: 67red12
on: 09/12/2018 | 16:20
@techiebloke....its always the same this time of year i personally am sick of the endless charity adverts, im afraid im of the opinion that charity begins at home
Message 3 of 21
Highlighted
by: majorincident
on: 09/12/2018 | 17:23

I'm sick of the adverts trying to sell people crap they don't need.  One of the reasons that I record nearly everything on commercial television is the satisfaction of being able to speed over the adverts.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves.
Message 4 of 21
by: acetech
on: 09/12/2018 | 17:27

@majorincident wrote:

I'm sick of the adverts trying to sell people crap they don't need.  One of the reasons that I record nearly everything on commercial television is the satisfaction of being able to speed over the adverts.

I'm the same most of the time, either that or I'll pause the channel for a bit before starting to watch it.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 21
by: frenchielove
on: 09/12/2018 | 17:40

The adverts are not so bad @techiebloke as you can ignore them if you so wish, what I hate are the aggressive chuggers that grab you in the street or at the door. As we get older, we do get more vulnerable and they tend to pray on that. I support the charities that I choose and our local animal rescue, I do not need to be grabbed when I am out shopping thank you

Message 6 of 21
by: slarti
on: 09/12/2018 | 17:45

@frenchielove wrote:

The adverts are not so bad @techiebloke as you can ignore them if you so wish, what I hate are the aggressive chuggers that grab you in the street or at the door. As we get older, we do get more vulnerable and they tend to pray on that. I support the charities that I choose and our local animal rescue, I do not need to be grabbed when I am out shopping thank you

If they grab you, that is assault!

They just are not allowed to do that.

Message 7 of 21
by: dory85
on: 09/12/2018 | 17:47

not really i think they should advertise for help we always should help the less fortunate Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 21
by: frenchielove
on: 09/12/2018 | 17:49

Sorry @slarti not literally 😋

Message 9 of 21