Knowledge Base
Community

Should the Internet be free for all to use - no Broadband charges

Started by: gotha51
On: 18/03/2019 | 10:33
Replies: 23

by: gotha51
on: 18/03/2019 | 10:33

With most jobs know being advertised online and applications increasingly moving this way too, it is about time there was a re-think on Broadband charges.

In the UK should broadband be free of charge to all but a fee be required for streaming or gaming purposes.

It seems that if you cannot afford broadband, then you are losing out on job opportunities.

Message 1 of 24
by: michaeldunha
on: 18/03/2019 | 10:43
Nothing is free someone has to pay for it, if not the user then who?
Yes it's true most employment opportunities are via the Internet now, but you can access all of this via mobile Internet
Message 2 of 24
by: gvmhb
on: 18/03/2019 | 11:04

No I don't think so. 

Almost everybody has a smartphone, you can get free WiFi in many places. 

Basic broadband can be had very cheaply if you are on benefits, and I found this on gov.uk website:

You can find a free email service on the internet. Your Jobcentre Plus adviser can help you. You can use a computer to access the internet for free at your local Jobcentre Plus office or in your local library.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 24
by: pusser
on: 18/03/2019 | 11:14

@gotha51  It would be nice to have it free but as previously said, someone has to pay for it, as network providers aren’t charities.  The only beef I have is that providers like BT and Virgin Media still charge phone line rental when you are paying for broadband.  There was talk of them scraping this charge but they don’t like losing income 😀

Message 4 of 24
by: contro
on: 18/03/2019 | 11:26

Yes Broadband basic at least, should be free if the DWP wants claimants to register online and in fact do everything else online.

They should also give us all lap tops too.

They have be been very clever in this respect and made social media a thing almost everyone will want so they can be confident, you'll pay up and get your own.

Message 5 of 24
by: sarahaxon
on: 18/03/2019 | 12:27

Broadband will be free when electricity and water are..

But the requirement to do all job searching and keep records online for benefit purposes is a different matter. There yes a lot more could be done to help people who struggle to access the Internet and get online. It's not fair to tell people to use a library computer if there's no library in your village or if your local rural connection is pants. 

Message 6 of 24
by: mrbond007
on: 18/03/2019 | 12:29

Yes, you need Internet for every thing even getting benefits these days so definitely a yes

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 24
by: mrbond007
on: 18/03/2019 | 12:30

In fact now you've said it, I think you should start a petition to make it happen 😉

I'm serious! 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 24
by: davidevans0000
on: 18/03/2019 | 13:05
Its a yes from me and the conservatives can pay for it as they waste tons of money.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 24
by: weeemonkey
on: 18/03/2019 | 14:30

As nice as the idea is, in reality, who then pays for all the upgrades and changes to the network. When the BT/Openreach engineer needs to attend your house?  

Message 10 of 24