Knowledge Base
Community

Should the PARENTS of school children be taught about diversity?

Started by: extreme_one
On: 26/03/2019 | 08:48
Replies: 24

by: extreme_one
on: 26/03/2019 | 08:48

A head teacher in Birmingham is calling on the education secretary to intervene as her school faces a backlash for teaching students about gay relationships.

"It seems at the moment that some of the parents - and it's only a few of the parents - are worried that younger children, so maybe nursery and reception children, shouldn't be told that some people have two mummies.

"I'd say that some people do have two mummies, some people do have two daddies just as some people are black, white, Buddhist, female, male and that is what the Equality Act is about."

A Department for Education spokesperson said: "We want children to know that there are many types of people, and relationships - that's why we are making relationships education compulsory in all primary schools from 2020.

"This will ensure pupils are taught the building blocks needed for positive and safe relationships of all kinds - starting with family and friends - and how to treat each other with kindness, consideration and respect.

"We trust headteachers to make the decision as to what is and is not appropriate for their pupils to learn, and to engage with parents on this where they are required to do so."

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/lessons-about-gay-relationships-spark-protests-outside-birmingham-sch...

Should the parents of school children be taught about diversity?

Smiley Indifferent
Message 1 of 25
by: k89bpa
on: 26/03/2019 | 08:50
Absolutely.
Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 2 of 25
by: vickyjakesmum
on: 26/03/2019 | 08:55

Yes they flippin should, I'm amazed at how narrow minded some people are. They should teach about acceptance too. 

Without getting into religious issues, a lot of it is down to following a certain path. 

Message 3 of 25
by: zakrs
on: 26/03/2019 | 09:10

@extreme_one you know I'm on the fence with this one. Parents yes but I'm not sure about children as there is a very fine line between acceptance and possible...promotion and that I would not like to happen. 

Don't get me wrong, If my daughter said to me that she is gay I wouldn't mind at all. But if she was going to promote homosexuality at school (as a teacher) I wouldn't be happy.

Message 4 of 25
by: extreme_one
on: 26/03/2019 | 09:39

@zakrswrote:

... But if she was going to promote homosexuality at school (as a teacher) I wouldn't be happy.

Do you think your sexuality could have been influenced @zakrs by promotion?

For myself I know that no amount of promotion would have changed my feelings.

And for what it's worth, I can't imagine any teachers I've ever met, deciding they would use their influence to persuade children one way or another about their sexuality.

Smiley Indifferent
Message 5 of 25
by: nefarius
on: 26/03/2019 | 09:44

Is making people aware of "homosexuality" promoting it?

I did Geography at school. I didn't feel like they were promoting it! 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 25
by: slarti
on: 26/03/2019 | 09:49

@extreme_onewrote:

Should the parents of school children be taught about diversity?

Wouold they listen as they think it is against their religion?

Message 7 of 25
by: slarti
on: 26/03/2019 | 09:53

@extreme_onewrote:

And for what it's worth, I can't imagine any teachers I've ever met, deciding they would use their influence to persuade children one way or another about their sexuality.

I suspect that I am older than you, which is why I certainly do remember teachers denouncing homosexuality in school assemblies and RE lessons. Especially when the 1967 Act was in the news.

Message 8 of 25
by: giffin
on: 26/03/2019 | 09:56

Should we be happy that the state inteferes more and more with how parents what children bringing up?

Message 9 of 25
by: nefarius
on: 26/03/2019 | 10:07 edited: 26/03/2019 | 10:09

Oops, wrong thread. 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 25