Should we now bring back British Rail?

Started by: techiebloke
On: 11/01/2019 | 21:22
Replies: 46

Highlighted
by: standardbearer
on: 12/01/2019 | 09:40 edited: 12/01/2019 | 09:43

@harryjulie1 wrote:

They need to put the GREAT back into GREAT BRITAIN first and get rid of Tessa may and get people who can sort this country out

You can say that again. But weve got no one to do it.

@eileenusher

I agree with getting rid of the unelected lords.

If I were still a yougster having a great time and I didn't like being forced to vote , then my vote would go to something like the Monster Party.Many may not like the parties out there .

If you feel people should not have had a chance to vote in a referendum perhaps because of their limited knowledge, what makes you think the electorate are any better elsewhere.

Im not one of those Citizens who feels responsible for the follies of our past I was not born then. I only know that why there was slavery and other things, Joe Public and Joe Junior In the uk were not getting much out of it. Little kids in coal mines pushing truck's, kids up chimneys, the starving Mass in slums, the diseases to poor people caused by the industrial revolution..All filling the pockets of the few. 

On a lighter note when John Major knew he was going to lose the election, privatisation of the railways was rushed in to satisfy conservative dogma.

I dont reckon any of our political parties and it is ironic that why we are in the eu we cannot Nationalise .So corbyn bettet get his party to vote out of the eu if he's serious on Nationalisation. 

Fortune Favours The Brave S.P.Q.R
Message 21 of 47
by: sarahaxon
on: 12/01/2019 | 10:05

Yes, yes, yes.

The argument that railways cannot be renationalised while we are in the EU is not true- or at the very least an over- simplification.

What EU rules say is that there cannot be a monopoly: the management of services and infrastructure must be separate. Holland and Spain get round this by having two state companies, one to manage the track and one for the trains. There are other structures that Deutsche Bahn and SNCF use too. 

Relying on a privatisation model whereby train companies compete to run the railway is pure ideology. It has not resulted in good serviess, as anyone who relies on the trains will tell you. Compared to continental services our trains are an expensive joke. The railway should be a public service, indispensable infrastructure for moving people and goods, not profit making for shareholders. 

And don't get me started on ticket prices, which aim to gouge anyone who has no option but to use the train at peak time to get to work. 

Message 22 of 47
by: piethorne
on: 12/01/2019 | 10:43

NO, no, no. Why should my taxes subsidise some fat southerners commute from, say, bristol to london ? They've chosen that way of life and should pay for it.

They'd be outraged if they were told they had to subsidise my new car purchase, fuel and running costs.

Message 23 of 47
by: eileenusher
on: 12/01/2019 | 10:44 edited: 12/01/2019 | 10:49

@standbearer most of the youngsters today are a lot more politically aware than what they were even 20 years ago, I don't know this for a fact but going on the young people I do know most voted or would of liked too but were just under the voting age, however going on my area and people I've spoken too the people who didn't vote are in age 30 - 50
Obviously this may not be the case in other areas, you are correct tho the ones who didn't vote are very disalusioned with the political parties on offer, to be honest so am I but I would never not vote it goes against all I believe in and principals. Obviously I'm aware that Jo public didn't get a lot out of our past misendevours and it was the top 1% who did, still dosent alter the fact it was done in our countries name, is still being done in our countries name just in other forms we all know Iraq and Afghanistan had nothing to do with human rights even tho it was made out to be, that it was all about oil and oil money.
As for the electorate I don't think they are better elsewhere, some just vote with hearts, some with what proganda put out there as they believe it, some tho actually use there brains and do there own research and make the choice that way.
Corbyn is a eurosceptic all ways has being he backed the remain campaign half heartedly at best because he was basically told too tow the line, by quite a few within the party, even most of his momentum supporters 2/3 of them are pro EU, and as it was them who got him elected and keeping him there as leader through joining the party to vote him there if he wants to stay he had to tow the line, however why do you think he hasn't said one way or another how he and the party stands on the EU it's because he can't as its split 2/3 are pro but 1/3 aren't but a lot in the latter have a lot of pull in whether he remains as leader or not, as for leaving the EU to renationalize our railways and Corbyn doing so will never happen as we couldn't afford too it would cost billions to do so, shame yes maybe, but as its being pointed out the trains we manufactured ourselves weren't a patch on other countries, the one thing tho I don't agree with is our government having to order and pay for the new trains in my eyes its privatised so the company running it should foot the bill for it after all why should us as taxpayers be stuffed twice one for paying for the new trains then the high cost of using them to line these companies pockets, that's a reason I try not too use them, and use buses if I have too use public transport. Renationalize can be done within the EU two separate companies managing each side like the set up in Spain and Holland gets around it, so can't really say we need to leave the EU for that. 

Message 24 of 47
by: k89bpa
on: 12/01/2019 | 10:47

@eileenusher wrote:

@k89bpa 

...and come on you know eneugh about me politically...

...and when the country goes to pot which I think it will, and I think you think the same (not that it hadn't already but it going to get worse) you know what that's when I'll say to certain people I told you so...

I know @eileenusher, I'm the same but still, we all share the blame here.

You and I both know we need electoral and parliamentary reform but what have we ever done about it except maybe get a little excited around 2012 before Clegg rolled over and let Cameron tickle his belly?

And that's just for starters.

Indirectly we are just as responsible for all the crap that happens just as much as those directly voting for it. We all could and perhaps should have done a lot more than we have. 

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 80GB

Message 25 of 47
by: goonerx2
on: 12/01/2019 | 10:50
It's unlikely that a National Rail franchise could run it any better.
Message 26 of 47
by: gizzblue
on: 12/01/2019 | 11:28

People seem to forget the absolute debacle the national rail was at times .

It's a big no from me .

Message 27 of 47
by: standardbearer
on: 12/01/2019 | 11:39
@eileenusher
Thanks for the reply.
Before I forget talking about our follies of the past if it was not for the British Navy or the Dutch in the first instance Australia or New Zealand would not have had those white Westerners taking over the lands of the Aboriginies and the Maories.
Well weve now got Australia and New Zealand as we know it.
So perhaps some immigrants should be glad of our folly actions.
The Youth of today you quote are not all as you say regarding in the joy to vote. Maybe because your into a political interest so are those you mix with.
Contrary to that I know of many Youngsters who could not give two hoots for voting epecially in deprived areas.
What I would say is due to far more Youngsters in further education, apart from the drink there is a lot of politics spoken on campus. Problem is it is only allowed to be one sided. But that could be a reason for some Youngsters wanting to be involved.
Regarding Iraq Where over a million objected on a march , weve now got Alistair Campbell, blaires right hand at the time man bleating on about democracy and the stay in march.
Dont remember campbell saying we should not go in to Iraq.
There has been other threads on this so im not repeating my other views here.
Regarding the railways, as you know taxpayers subsidise private rail companies .
The dilemma is, if they did not and the consumer train traveller would have to pay the whole amount then probably only the few could use it, bit like HS2.
Wealth is also not evenly distributed throughout the Country.
But those that would like a slice of the South, be careful what you wish for.
It aint that wonderful down South.
Fortune Favours The Brave S.P.Q.R
Message 28 of 47
by: eileenusher
on: 12/01/2019 | 12:49 edited: 12/01/2019 | 12:56

Oh I know it's not that wonderful down south I lived in gt Yarmouth went too high school and college there, there rail network and roads even are far worse than even the North, I've also lived and worked in London for 2 years and hated it, far more expensive to live and depending on what job you do the wages don't always match it, I was lucky my accommodation and most meals were provided I was at a big international hotel chain head office, and one of there hotels was next door, with 4 staff apartments which I lived in one and all the staff eat at the hotel in there staff room, food wasn't wonderful never is for staff but I've eaten worse I've had to pay for, my accommodation etc was free as they transferred me there to sort out a few problems in the office and hotel, but other staff had money deducted from there wages for living in, it was still a lot cheaper to them tho than London prices. You could say the same about the USA but include Spanish and Italians in the mix as well as the ozzie and key wees,
But then we did help wipe out the actual natives also, do not many of them left, and even now there treated badly. I did say that it may not be the case in other areas about youngsters and voting, I still think there's more interested politically than what they use to be tho, as for Iraq and Afghanistan I agree its being hashed on here many times, I think if I remember rightly we have similar views on it anyway, as for Campbell even tho he is pro stay and vocal on it, and I voted remain as you know, I still feel he should crawl back into the hole he came out of same goes for Blair, I know we subsidise and if it weren't the prices would be hiked up, but if Spain, Holland can get round EU by two sepeate entities state owned to run either side and keep prices down maybe we could only problem is the initial expense of taking back control.
But look at France, Germany where there part national and part private the prices are still a hell of a lot cheaper and the service and trains vastly outweighs ours.
No the wealth isn't evenly distributed, maybe it should be, and I don't just mean north/south I mean for all take from the rich more tax to subsidise more jobs with better pay for all maybe, make the big consortium's pay what taxes they owe, and proper wages ie decent ones we would be able to afford to put things back in state control as 2 sepeate state owned entities to get round the EU, we would have more money to spend which would help the economy recover after all it hadn't really recovered from the last recession no one apart from the rich could see the benefits as the slight recovery didn't do anything for the average Jo as there wages barely rose and certainly not above inflation.

@standardbearer

Message 29 of 47
by: bluenose5
on: 12/01/2019 | 13:22
Bring back the Steam Train.
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 30 of 47